Debate Thread

Bliss said:
I feel the exact opposite, to me if u are capable to commit the crime u should be capable to accept it. Mentally challenge should have nothing to do with it. Please i hate when people bring that up, so many murders have gotten away with stuff just cuz the pleaded insane. Its bull crap. Unles u have a mental record your entire life then you should be judged for ur crime.
I feel you are misinterpretting me. These people are ill simply for the fact that they are not behaving correctly. It's not about people using it as an excuse, it's about the need to rehabilitate and (for lack of a better word) "normalise" them.

Also bearing in mind that choice is merely a perception.

And last thing: I'm not saying they shouldn't be judged. On the contrary, that time to be rehabilitated should be open to however much time is needed to do so, rather than an arbitary set time whereby they are released whether they changed 5 seconds after coming into prison or haven't changed at all.

Yes you can, you can prove anything. DNA is everywhere, hair, sperm, skin folics and prints...granted its not everything you see on the tv shows but its damn near close. My brother goes to school for forensic and the crap he shows me blows my mind on how people get caught.
No one can ever tell 100% because everything is based on something else: and all those things are fallible. For example, eye witness testimony works on the basis that, a, the eye witness got a good enough look at the person that they could distinguish them from literally everybody else b, that their memory is 100% correct and most of all c, that they are telling the truth, even under oath.

Likewise, with CCTV, the image must be unmistakable from anyone else (which it is often not). DNA evidence can say who is most likely to be the killer/rapist whatever, but it can never be 100%.

Trust me, I'm doing postmodernism this semester, things like memory and absolute undeniable truths never exist.

I think we need an entire debates forum, this thread can derail quite a bit...

I'm against any form of the death penalty, I think that Squall's got to the points I was going to make before me, so, hats off to him.

HyPeRsHoCk said:
Wow, I guess more people are corrupted than I thought.
What do you mean by that? It's not that anyone is corrupted. People just think differently to each other. It's something you've got to learn to cope with.

P.S. @Frogger: I totally agree about the need for a debate section.

surfinrach90 said:
Yes!

Or at least some death penalty. That guy who went down a couple of weeks a go for killing all those women, he's never going to set foot outside prison again. So tax payers are going to spend thousands of pounds just to keep him fed and alive. WHY?

Just kill him. Life should equal life.
I do not know how things work in Britain, but it is a fact that in the US getting someone to the point of the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison [via multiple trails, etc.].

-Should we have a debate forum?
-Steroids. The good, the bad, the bacne.
-Professional wrestling

Giveusadebateforumnow

LevesqueIsKing said:
I do not know how things work in Britain, but it is a fact that in the US getting someone to the point of the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison [via multiple trails, etc.].

-Should we have a debate forum?
-Steroids. The good, the bad, the bacne.
-Professional wrestling

Giveusadebateforumnow

Pickles.

Should we have a debate forum-Yes, i like debating, its like arguing with rules and im good at arguing. It may help solve some issues, but the only thing that could be bad is that some people (Dorkfish) might take the arguments to far.

Steriods. The good, the bad, the bacne-Tried em once, got off em as soon as i could. Made me feel REALLY REALLY PICKLEY. Didn't like it.

Professional Wrestling- John Cena ftw?

i made this thread untill a debate section was created.......
just so we didnt have to wait to long to jump right into a argument

Alright i'll throw in the towel on this topic of debate. You guys proved to many good points for me to further it.

New Topic?

new topic: should athletes involved in doping be allowed to compete in the olympics after they finish their sentence

Last edited:
Well, the whole point of any sentence like that is to punish the offender (in sports, by depriving them of the chance to compete and thus lose their source of income), with the idea being that after the sentence is complete they will have learned their lesson. Assuming they did not reoffend during that time, then sure, why not let them compete again?

well Dwain chambers (GBR athlete) has for some reason being treated as he says like a "leper" becuase of everyones hate towards him

i forgot to mention that should they be allowed to compete in the olympics

I think they should be allowed to compete after their ban. Once they've served their ban, that is their punishment. Just like once someone has served their time in prison, when they come out they theoretically should be considered just another person. Of course, this isn't always the case. But for an athlete, unless they should deservedly be banned for their entire life, then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to continue.

Although they should be able to compete again, they are likely to be hated or disliked, as they would have destroyed their reputation and everyone will just involve them with cheating. Which is always going to be the case. Just like when someone comes out of prison, people will always change their views on them if they know they've been in prison.

Back