How to stop: SPAM/FLAMING ON FORUMS

i mean i would like to see NEg Rep, but there have to be rules for it..Like you have to have so many post or be on wiichat for this long before you can start giving it that why no Pokenoobs cant give cause they didnt follow the rules and started another wasted thread

Now, now, now, you're obviously going to get a debate here. 1 username per IP? There are quite a few people who share computers, I've done it for about four years, if my sister could... spell... I think she'd be interested in joining forums, like this, as well as me, for some amazing sisterly bonding.

I'm totally against rep, I don't know why once in a blue moon I receive it for being "A decent poster" it just adds to your arrogant count. As for introducing negative rep again, no way, this could in fact mean more spam and restrict people from having their opinion. I believe that blocks should be given for ever 100 post or so, the more posts you have obviously means that you are respected even more than the little one block n00bs.

I don't like names that stretch the forum border, or underscores. Underscores should never be used, period. Actually, I'm just going on with a hating rant here. I actually think most of your rules are legit and could help this forum a lot.

Personally though, I think banning is a big situation though, there are bans for what I consider to be no reason going on around here. There should be at least warnings (thank you whoever came up with that idea) rather than straight forward shot you're banned.

ciper said:
I don't see where you address why it won't work

In regards to why negative rep wont work..

Actually it would create more..With negative rep in place people would just give neg. rep to people they dislike and thus creating more arguments between people. For example if negative rep was in place when I used to post links to stickied threads in the pokemon d/p section I would have a grey bar just because they don't like me.

Another thing I'd like to add about reputation.

There's one thing to ask for it but it's another to use it as currency. I think that it's absolutely pathetic when people are told to repay in reputation when actually it benefits nothing and never ever will apart from your ever increasing ego. This mainly happens in the Pokémon threads where it's all like "I HAVE EGGZ" it's not a freaking sperm donation agency.

I do know that some of these people are good posters (Hello Demonflair) but asking for reputation as currency isn't really earning it properly.

In fact, just stop rep then I'd be made up.

EDIT: If anyone reps me in irony I'd spork out your eyes.

Last edited:
I believe it would be unfair for the members who deserve the rep they've earned to have it removed because some people in the pokemon section tend to abuse it.

mr_resi said:
2nd thread in my how to stop series: How to stop spam on forums.

Well the real answer here may be just to appoint more moderators (i will give my sugesstions later), there are other ways we can prevent spam, off topic posting, and flamin/ranting without appointing to many more mods here we go:

1. Send an email to users that have not been active for more than 6 months that their account will be deleted if they do not return. Coding wise, this seems awfully simple and could be done by master programmers in a matter of minutes.

Doable. I am sure there is a hack somewhere for that. However, how does that stop spam?

2.Make a 1 account per I/P rule (This is going to be debated i just know it)

No way, no how. AOL shares IPs like they are going out of style. You just cannot do it. You can limit email domains you wish to receive registration from. That would cut back on spam. However the IP thing does nothing against spam.

3. Yes, of course, appoint more mods. My personal suggestions would be :Brawny, SSBB_lover, and not to toot my own horn but...

This can reduce the appearance of spam, not prevent it occurance.

4. Get rid of the rep system. Lately rep level is just the number of times youve spam posted the words "give me rep'.
Does nothing against spam.

5. Better abuseive post reporting. IMO there should be a rule that if a post is reported abusive by 3 different people it should atoumaticly be deleted.

This would help reduce the amount of noticeable spam. However, it requires action from moderators.

6.Increase punishment for spamming. IMO another three stikes your out rule should be applied here.

Ban all spammers, immediately.

7.MAKE THE SEARCH BOX BIGGER!!Its not exactly to visible were it is. Im thinking aomwhere just above or below the wiichat logo.

This would have no result against spam.

8. Ban before they spam. If someone has a name like "Robrobrobrobpooo", email them saying a name change will be neccesary or they will ve banned.

Again, how would this reduce spam?

9. if i need to say "IBTL" on a thread, it needs to be locked. No more stupid threads like "Ofiicial cillit bang discussion" (no offence lee)

If you say that, does it not cater to your incorrect definition of spam?

And that IMO is how we can make less spam.

I think a big part of the problem is the misconception of what spam is.

Spam is not stupid little comments that people post in a thread. That is called padding. As in padding your post count.

Spam is a message sent to numerous people and is unsolicited. It can also be defined as a message on a forum that is strictly advertising. Those are spam messages. Not padding.

So, while some of your suggestions are doable, many do not address the issue of spam. They kinda address padding.

A few ways to help reduce the spam (using the common definition) are:

1. Limit free email address registrations. Spammers use yahoo.com, mail.ru, hotmail.com accounts. They are not limited to those, but those are three common ones. Everyone normally gets an email address with their ISP. Require that for registration.

2. Upgrade the CAPTCHA used during registration. There are several plugins available for this. One requires a user to answer a simple question upon registration (What is 1+1?), but a computer would not be able to manage that. There is also one that shows four pictures, in random, and asks the user to click on a particular one prior to registration.

3. Limit HTML parsing for the first 50 or so posts. That way, even if a link is posted, it will not appear as a link for a while.

Last edited:
Frogger said:
EDIT: If anyone reps me in irony I'd spork out your eyes.
*hovers mouse over green mushroom for a sec*....nah. It's not worth going blind.

Another thing about the neg rep. Poke'noobs couldn't abuse it because it would have the same rules as normal rep. It doesn't even come into effect unless your own rep is high enough.

we should have a NEg Rep but only for like memeber that have been on Wiichat for a long time plus have over 2,000 post or something...

but yeah if we did start it again Poke Noobs will ise it a lot..lol..

Dam you Freakin noobs..

Syntax said:
In regards to why negative rep wont work..
Makes sense. I laughed a little when I read that because its so true. :yesnod:

Frogger said:
This mainly happens in the Pokémon threads where it's all like "I HAVE EGGZ" it's not a freaking sperm donation agency.

I have never read any of the pokemon forums (both of your replies seem to focus on this) so thats why I didn't understand......

Perhaps we need a seperate pokemon chat domain so that good changes can be made here?

ciper said:
Makes sense. I laughed a little when I read that because its so true. :yesnod:

I have never read any of the pokemon forums (both of your replies seem to focus on this) so thats why I didn't understand......

Perhaps we need a seperate pokemon chat domain so that good changes can be made here?

The Pokémon forums are mainly situated on making deals with one another, there is no actual talk about the game. It's commonly the most occupied forum and can make your post count go sky high because it's just a spam domain that if I were a mod I'd just give up on it.

They trade Pokémon, if there's a unfair deal, for example, they're obviously going to ask for rep because there's no other alternative (other than being a nice person.)

There's some Pokémon forum-goers that break from the herd and visit the lounge once in a while (and usually tlk lyk dis) who have extremely high post counts and a lot of reputation, when they give nothing to this forum. I see it as being beggars.

Okay, someone likes irony. Who was it? Do you want your eyes? Do you? Do you?

Last edited:
"Hmm..I'm irrational flaming douchebag. Despite these socially repressive character flaws, I think I'll stop and read this reasonable thread telling me in detail how I can fix myself..." -Irrational flaming douchebag

If only it were that easy...

Nicely done. But, like some of the members have said, you can't ban members simply because of their weird User-names. It brings up that saying:
"Never judge a book by its cover."
Some members are more decent than their User-names allow us to believe.
Other than that, its a great piece.

Back