Does anyone know if the Wii will have a DVD player in it

Moped_man

WiiChat Member
Apr 20, 2007
Michigan
:confused: Does anyone know if the Wii will have a DVD player in it anytime soon?

cause i might wait to get one if they come out with one soon!

:confused:

What type of TV are you going to use your Wii on? Is it HDTV or not?

If it is an HDTV Capable of 720P or higher you are better off using a DVD with an up-converter via HDMI or a HD DVD or Blue Ray Player to get the best picture quality. The Wii only puts out 480P at max. Honestly unless you have a true 1080P TV there is no need for a HD DVD or Blue Ray. Just stick to a good up-conversion model. The price of the HD DVD or Blue Ray systems is outrageous. Good luck.

Save the wii drive for game and do not over use it by playing Movies. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Rumours have it that the coloured Wiis are going to be able to play DVDs but I don't care much as I have a DVD player.. :prrr:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the Wii discs DVD's? Which means that the Wii could play DVD's it would just need a firmware update.

viperjason said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the Wii discs DVD's? Which means that the Wii could play DVD's it would just need a firmware update.
Yea, but it would be a big update. The wii discs spin backwards.

I have got a dvd (movie) to play on the wii, granted the color was wrong and there was 4 pics, but it did play, I was playing around w/ the v1.2 disc for the wiikey. so it is possible

Last edited:
darkness231 said:
I have got a dvd to play on the wii, granted the color was wrong and there was 4 pics, but it did play, I was playing around w/ the v1.2 disc for the wiikey. so it is possible
Thats what the WiiKey is suppose to do. It's suppose to work perfectly fine actually. Update yours becasue I think Theres a new version out

Nintendo would not release a update to support DVD's (movies) since everyone has a DVD player these days and if you don't then you are stuck in the olden days

They released this before launch and they said that there is another wii coming (yes a whole new system kind of like the xbox 360 elite) and it will support dvd playing

Yes but it has never been confirmed that a wii that plays dvd's will be released anywhere but Japan.

I actually don't care for a DVD capability. I have two players sitting right next to the machine now, and don't need a 3rd.

Personally, I think this is good marketing strategy from Nintendo regardless of whether or not most people have DVD players already. I doubt it will cost them that much more to add DVD-playing capability to the Wii, considering that Wii games are already put on DVDs anyway. It'll be like how the PS2 could play DVDs, and it'll make the Wii slightly more attractive as a buy for those who don't already own DVD players.
But, yah, even if they did add DVD capability through a firmware update, I'd still use my current DivX DVD player.

Back