DVD on Wii

The cannot play DVD's yet, the only possible way I know of making it play DVD's is by modding it. Which is illegal, so I wouldn't try that. You'll probably find loads of info of possible plans of a DVD or rumours of one if you use the Search Button. :thumbsup:

RadNad said:
The cannot play DVD's yet, the only possible way I know of making it play DVD's is by modding it. Which is illegal, so I wouldn't try that. You'll probably find loads of info of possible plans of a DVD or rumours of one if you use the Search Button. :thumbsup:
According to Nintendo, the current Wii's would take more than a software update to enable DVD playback. So there is no way an update could do it.

They will release DVD compatible Wii's next year

FRuMMaGe said:
They will release DVD compatible Wii's next year
Hopefully they're black, because black is a shmexy colour. Or possibly in your case, purple and black/a very dark blue. Didn't you spray-paint your controller black?

RadNad said:

INCORRECT!!

Modding a piece of equipment that you have legally purchased is NOT illegal, and is completely protected by fair use. You own it. You can mod it, re-sell it, freeze it in carbonite, or smash it with a hammer and blend the pieces in a blend tech blender. I don't recommend ANY of these, but they are all legal...

Now, the primary reason for modding a console, to play burned roms of games you don't own, that is Highly Illegal. But modding itself is not.

Also, little tiny mistakes in applying the mod chip generally brick and/or fry your system. So, you know, it's a bit dangerous.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
INCORRECT!!

Modding a piece of equipment that you have legally purchased is NOT illegal, and is completely protected by fair use. You own it. You can mod it, re-sell it, freeze it in carbonite, or smash it with a hammer and blend the pieces in a blend tech blender. I don't recommend ANY of these, but they are all legal...

Now, the primary reason for modding a console, to play burned roms of games you don't own, that is Highly Illegal. But modding itself is not.

Also, little tiny mistakes in applying the mod chip generally brick and/or fry your system. So, you know, it's a bit dangerous.
Blendec Blender, lmao, I love those videos especially the Iphone one. And I don't think this guy would ever MOD his system just to watch a DVD he just had a simple question but whatever, and your answer makes sense.

Yes Nintendo can play DVDs. The games themselves are printed on DVDs. Duh! However, Nintendo took a firm stance on not making the Wii a DVD movie player. It' up to them. Don't hold your breath.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
INCORRECT!!

Devices that circumvent copy protection violate the DMCA and supercede fair use.

Devices that circumvent copy protection violate the DMCA and supercede fair use.
Exactly. However, modding your Wii would not violate any copy protection system.

If you were to mod your Wii so it would play DVDs... no issue there provided you are using properly purchased DVDs.

If you were to mod your Wii so it will play burned discs of games... there you are circumventing copy protection and that is a violation.

It's all in what you do with it. It's like a computer. Putting in a larger hard drive isn't a problem, but using that extra space to store and share ripped music makes it a violation.

I for one, wish they'd added the option to play DVDs. The technology is there in the system, so why not use it? I know I can get a DVD player for $25, but I honestly don't need another box around my TV (already have cable box, xbox and now the Wii). I'm running out of room.

Back