England Smoking Ban

Wii_Smurf said:
Those in charge of the premises would be fools to let you get away with it, especially considering that they could face a £2,500 fine if they fail to stop you. They could also be charged on-the-spot fines of £200 if they fail to display no-smoking signs, with the penalty increasing to £1,000 if the issue goes to court.

As a smoker and business owner I got doubly shafted today.

The OP has missed a couple of words out..... It should read

" They could also be charged on-the-spot fines of £200 if they fail to display the correct no-smoking signs"

No longer is it enough to have a no-smoking sign, it has to be a Government approved sign that meets the following requirements......

• be a minimum of A5 in area (210mm x 148mm)
  • display the international no-smoking symbol at least 70mm in diameter
  • carry the following words in characters that can be easily read
No smoking. It is against the law to smoke in these premises’.

As you can tell I'm unhappy about this, but as a smoker I don't have the energy or lung capacity to argue. So go ahead and tell me you hate the smell, it's my own fault, and that I should be denied treatment on the NHS. I won't try to claim that smoking is big, clever, or good for me.

What I will say is that income tax will rise (again) if everyone quits tobacco, which is why this ridiculous ban is in place (PLEASE continue to buy them, just don't smoke them). I'm not a burden on the NHS.... at 20 per day I will have paid approx £44k EXTRA tax than a non-smoker over a 30 year period, and I truly hope that 'smoking related' diseases actually do start to fall as people are forced to quit.... if not then it means yet another untruth told by a politician.

My god....... I think you should take that hate out on someone else.......... I was stating a fact..... yes cancer is a big killer but I was just saying theres worse people than smokers... maybe you should switch the news on and keep abreast of the world today instead of sat there on your high horse!!!

Wii_Smurf said:
Cammy. I think your being abit harsh on her. I mean I think you have a massive grudge against smokers

You would if you knew a eron who died because of smoking!

we have a smoking ban in my hometown that just went into effect a few months ago. i don't think it's a big deal either way. i don't think bars should be non-smoking, though, especially after a certain time. no one goes to bars for their health, anyway.

I totally agree hun...... its a matter of opinion like... you go in a pub and drink and most people smoke, I dont agree with it in resutrants so I think thats right to have people chuffing away whilst folks eating, just think there are more worse people in the world than smokers..... my pet hate is people that have dogs and dont clean mess up after them!!!!!!!terrorists, gun crime, murderers, paedophiles!!!!!!!! GET OFF SMOKERS BACKS

Personally, I think banning smoking is wrong. If you don't like smoke, do not go there. Vote with your dollars (or pounds, in this case).

The erosion of civil liberties will never stop. Soon, there will be legislation over smoking in your own home or car. Then, they will decide to go after something else. This is a slippery slope.

For the record: I have not touched a cigarette in almost 4 years.

dakuda said:
Personally, I think banning smoking is wrong. If you don't like smoke, do not go there.

So your saying don't go outside?
I hate walking past some smokers and getting it all in my system. I just don't like the smell of it.
What do you want me to do run past them? Yeah because running 5 feet along the path doesn't look suspicious

dakuda said:
Personally, I think banning smoking is wrong. If you don't like smoke, do not go there. Vote with your dollars (or pounds, in this case).

The erosion of civil liberties will never stop. Soon, there will be legislation over smoking in your own home or car. Then, they will decide to go after something else. This is a slippery slope.

For the record: I have not touched a cigarette in almost 4 years.

Ok maybe I should die then because everywhere I can go in the world there are smokers

Is that what you think

Oh and look at you not going for a cigarette for 4 years wha do you want a cookie?

Well Im a bit of a paradox there as my mum is a smoker bu I hate her smoking

It's the vicious circle of life

wii_cammy said:
Oh and look at you not going for a cigarette for 4 years wha do you want a cookie?

The point of that comment was: I don't smoke anymore, but I used to. So, that is not influencing my opinion since it is not causing me any inconvenience. I quite cold turkey in 2003. From over a pack a day to nothing. A cookie would be nice, sure. When will you be near Chicago next?

As for the outside argument, the way I read the initial post was public indoor places. That does not cover outside.

Hey, if you want more rights taken away from you, go right ahead. I would prefer to keep my rights as long as possible. If I want to hang out in a smoky bar, I should be allowed to. If I wish to drive w/o a seatbelt, I should be able to.

My MAIN point is that the more rights people give up, the more that governments will take.

Last edited:
Well Ill send you one in the mail
Will that be choc chip?

And I don't care what rights the goverment take away form me as I will be the next prime minister

you don't get smoke in your system by walking past smokers... that's ridiculous. even if you happen to walk right through their puff of smoke, you're not inhaling enough smoke to make any difference at ALL.

i don't really agree with the "if you don't smoke, don't go there" argument though, because that kind of alienates non-smokers. smokers know when they decide to smoke that they're going to be a little alienated, but there's no reason a non-smoker should have to avoid going to certain restaurants and stuff.

i'm a little contradictory in my statements, i apologize. i'm riding the fence on this issue.

Back