England Smoking Ban

dakuda said:
Hey, if you want more rights taken away from you, go right ahead. I would prefer to keep my rights as long as possible. If I want to hang out in a smoky bar, I should be allowed to. If I wish to drive w/o a seatbelt, I should be able to.

My MAIN point is that the more rights people give up, the more that governments will take.

So by your 'Theory' if I wanted to go out and kill someone I should be able too right?
No. People in this country wanted the smoking ban and they got it

Wii_Smurf said:
So by your 'Theory' if I wanted to go out and kill someone I should be able too right?
No. People in this country wanted the smoking ban and they got it

Killing someone is already illegal, and has been for some time. That is a ridiculous argument. Depriving someone of their life, to that degree, is a completely different argument over using a legal substance in their presence.

CCScandalus said:
i don't really agree with the "if you don't smoke, don't go there" argument though, because that kind of alienates non-smokers. smokers know when they decide to smoke that they're going to be a little alienated, but there's no reason a non-smoker should have to avoid going to certain restaurants and stuff.

OK, here is an alternative: The owner of an establishment may decide what to allow. If the owner feels that he/she will draw more customers by being a smoke-free facility, then they can declare that. If they wish to cater to a mix, so be it. There is no reason for the government to get involved.

Cigarettes are perfectly legal to buy. If they really wish to make a difference in public health, they should just ban them altogether.

Last edited:
Lol, n00bs, in Canada, no one cares about public health! Smokings legal(16 to smoke 19 to buy), Pot was legal in 2k4, FRICKEN PEYOTE IS LEGAL!(10x as powerful as pot), hawian gold is legal, salvia is legal.

Lol praise steven harper and his not caring aboot high ppl :)

I am made up with this ban.

You do get it into your system, you immediately know there's an unholy smell around you. When I go to someone's house and they smoke, I think they should really tell me before I get invited, sleeping over, it's uncomfortable, there's no way of getting out of it unless you go outside, but, it's England, it's pelting down with rain.

It'll be the same thing as coating my walls in garlic and vinegar and asking a smoker to sleep there for a night, regularly topping up.

It's one's choice to smoke, but it really isn't my choice to inhale the fumes. It is in fact like a form of murder. In public places, people were restricted from having fun because there'd always be this groggy atmosphere and clouds of smoke, it disturbs your chest and I quite frankly want to cough all the time.

Basically every public house in Liverpool was full of smokers, and you know when you're dragged along to those family member's parties even though you never really knew them? There's always a smoker there, we have to clear off to a different area, but you could still tell.

And another thing, it's a fire hazard, people fall asleep smoking all the time, it just risks your life in so many ways.

lol

Cammy you live up north you should be used to smog!!!

Anyways im forever fighting the loosing battle that the government sucks in this country and normal people wwho enjoy a cig and a drink and chat get punnished for killing...... matter of opinion if you dont like smoke then dont go in PUBS....once more I hear alchohol is prohibited soon in pubs??? LMAO

Used to smog??
and stokks
thats like saying the poeple in the centuries befor us shouldnt have care dbaout global warming
You see they have domed us and maybe not me but maybe my children will die because we all thought
Oh who cares

emm-stocks said:
matter of opinion if you dont like smoke then dont go in PUBS....once more I hear alchohol is prohibited soon in pubs??? LMAO

But I want to drink in a pub without getting infected. Plus me drinking won't get others drunk. Smoking around people does kill them. And theres no way to escape it in Pubs

Frogger said:
I am made up with this ban.

You do get it into your system, you immediately know there's an unholy smell around you. When I go to someone's house and they smoke, I think they should really tell me before I get invited, sleeping over, it's uncomfortable, there's no way of getting out of it unless you go outside, but, it's England, it's pelting down with rain.

It'll be the same thing as coating my walls in garlic and vinegar and asking a smoker to sleep there for a night, regularly topping up.

It's one's choice to smoke, but it really isn't my choice to inhale the fumes. It is in fact like a form of murder. In public places, people were restricted from having fun because there'd always be this groggy atmosphere and clouds of smoke, it disturbs your chest and I quite frankly want to cough all the time.

Basically every public house in Liverpool was full of smokers, and you know when you're dragged along to those family member's parties even though you never really knew them? There's always a smoker there, we have to clear off to a different area, but you could still tell.

And another thing, it's a fire hazard, people fall asleep smoking all the time, it just risks your life in so many ways.

Well Said

Last edited:
emm-stocks said:
Cammy you live up north you should be used to smog!!!

Anyways im forever fighting the loosing battle that the government sucks in this country and normal people wwho enjoy a cig and a drink and chat get punnished for killing...... matter of opinion if you dont like smoke then dont go in PUBS....once more I hear alchohol is prohibited soon in pubs??? LMAO

I really can't understand what you're saying, in a literal sense.

The government are doing a brilliant job taking care of our country. Take all the health benefits we have, and with the smoking ban, we're just improving on people's health, and having less time treating smokers who have newly acquired cancer.

The government, and the leaders are all extremely intelligent, they know what is best for this country. You have no freaking idea how much I'd be screwed without things like family allowance, the Welfare State is a God given saint, it helps so many people who should be living on the streets. I bet you couldn't have thought of it, y'know, making people equal, because you're obviously one the people are going to respect, with your communication and grammar skills.

If you have a bottle of alcohol in the streets, it is illegal, and the only other places you could go are in the home, where a lot of people are most likely going to be asleep, and you just won't have the room to accomodate people, or a public house, where you're being murdered by toxic gases.

People know the dangers of smoking, just bloody well don't start. They're not normal, they're idiots, why would you want to start? Peer pressure, you know what is wrong with it, and smoking also kills your wealth as well as your health. I wouldn't call people normal who disregard other human beings. Why doesn't everyone just smoke, eh? We'd all be killing ourselves, we'd all be in hospital using up our money that should be used to treat patients who don't try to inflict harm on themselves.

God, you have no idea how good this government are.

Last edited:
At the end of the day evryone who smokes is a murderer to not just themselves but people around them
Alchohol can kill poeple around you but that is if you don't know oyu're limits
When you light that first cigarette you have became a murderer

I think everyone should be able to do anything they want, as long as it isn't effecting others. So if they want to smoke in their house or car it is fine as long as there aren't any non-smokers in there, but they shouldn't expect people to go in their house or vehicles or anywhere else where they have been smoking. Smoking is one reason that I hate most of my relatives. Most of my relatives are chain smokers and if I go in their house I can't even breath and it has probably taken years off my life. I don't agree with you people that think smoking should be completely banned, since we shouldn't have our rights taken away, but if someone comes up and blows smoke in my face they will regret it. Cammy, everyone who smokes are not murderers. What if someone just goes out on their porch or something with no one else around when they smoke? They aren't harming anyone but themselves, which should be fine.

So you aks every smoker if they have not smoked near a non-smoker

They will either tell you they have or they are a lier

Last night (Sat) was memorable because it was the final night my shirt would smell of smoke. And last week was the final time I'd get a cigeratte burn from someone smoking on the dancefloor. Alas no more.

I welcome the ban but I do feel things will change. Where I go on Saturdays its mainly students who smoke because they think its good and alot of these will probably find it easier to give in because they only do it when out. Others like your regular pub goers will find it hard.

My only issue is that pubs smell kinda musty and mouldy when you walk in them in Wales because it's no smoking and thats my only issue with it.

I've been stubbed by fit girls before and we've briefly passed conversation. Or on the other hand been asked for a light and I've gone 'but why does a nice girl like you need to smoke?'. Shame that won't happen again.

I've just took one last sniff of my shirt from last night before it goes to wash, the final time I'll smell of booze, fags and aftershave in one. I feel quite sentimental now and I love the fact this ban is happening! Weird eh?

But yes, will be very different come this weekend when I head out.

wii_cammy said:
At the end of the day evryone who smokes is a murderer to not just themselves but people around them
Alchohol can kill poeple around you but that is if you don't know oyu're limits
When you light that first cigarette you have became a murderer

that's completely ridiculous.

people go way overboard with the second-hand smoke thing. yeah, there are more toxins in second-hand smoke than first-hand smoke, but it doesn't affect people as much because it's not near as concentrated as first-hand smoke. so unless your face is directly in front of someone's cigarette, which i imagine would bother the smoker more than you, that person is in no way, shape, or form, killing you with their cigarette. if you're in a smoky bar and you think it's killing you, just leave. it's not THAT big of a deal.

Back