England Smoking Ban

I think it's great..

We got it here in Wales and it's funny to see that the alcoholics have to sit outside at 8:30 AM in the morning to have a fag (yes their there that early in one place in my town)

I haven't been out yet since the ban mind so I couldn't comment on how nice it is going home at the end of the night and not buzzzzzzign of fags

It's always leave here because of a smoker
leave there because of a smoker
dont go there people smoke there

You get the pattern?

wii_cammy said:
It's always leave here because of a smoker
leave there because of a smoker
dont go there people smoke there

You get the pattern?

well, you don't HAVE to leave, but i'm sure you do avoid smokers, considering you think they're murderers.

CCScandalus said:
that's completely ridiculous.

people go way overboard with the second-hand smoke thing. yeah, there are more toxins in second-hand smoke than first-hand smoke, but it doesn't affect people as much because it's not near as concentrated as first-hand smoke. so unless your face is directly in front of someone's cigarette, which i imagine would bother the smoker more than you, that person is in no way, shape, or form, killing you with their cigarette. if you're in a smoky bar and you think it's killing you, just leave. it's not THAT big of a deal.
and are you a scientist?
NO, so don't got talking like you are!

here are some facts...
in a cig, there is a filter. you breath the smoke in via the filter. most of the deadly toxins are taken away because of that... the tar is the main bummer for the smokers.. but that takes a while, so your ok, the smoke you breath out, yeah it kinda smells, but theres nothing in that smoke that will do much harm to anyone that breaths that in.

but what about the unfiltered end of the cig, that is just sitting there, burning away giving off fumes. most of these fumes are actually 'invisible' to the human eye, and those are the toxic ones, those are the ones people are complaining about. those are the ones that do more damange than the filtered smoke that you smokes breath in, but your breathing this un-filtered smoke as well.

prove me wrong, get some scientist that works in the smoking industry (or what not, don't really care) to say i'm wrong....

there is a uk advert about it, can't find it... but awaiting your reply :)

Yeah its great that England has recognised the dangers of smoking. Australia's had those laws for a couple of years now (Queensland has anyway) and although there was an initial protest against it, it has all died down and people have gotten used to it.

I think that someone should clarify this for all the readers from the US:

Fags = slang term for cigarettes.

I knew it threw me off a bit the first time I saw that on a sign leaving Heathrow. While reeling from that revelation, 30 minutes later a kid asked me to buy him some fags. It means something completely different across the pond.

dakuda said:
I think that someone should clarify this for all the readers from the US:

Fags = slang term for cigarettes.

I knew it threw me off a bit the first time I saw that on a sign leaving Heathrow. While reeling from that revelation, 30 minutes later a kid asked me to buy him some fags. It means something completely different across the pond.
it means the same thing as well in the UK. but people get to learn the difference when placed in context.. :)

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
I think England was too slow, the ban's been here in Wales for a while now.
thats the govement for you init..
i think the date was set in place over a year before it.. sometime in early 2006 if my memory is right.

Gaz said:
thats the govement for you init..
i think the date was set in place over a year before it.. sometime in early 2006 if my memory is right.
Hmm planning, appealing, approving and implementing should've been faster than that!

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
Hmm planning, appealing, approving and implementing should've been faster than that!
i guess there were more important things on there minds, seeing as how most of the MP's are boring old farts who have a nice house, and don't go out much, they don't know the true nature that some people feel about this problem.

Gaz said:
and are you a scientist?
NO, so don't got talking like you are!

here are some facts...
in a cig, there is a filter. you breath the smoke in via the filter. most of the deadly toxins are taken away because of that... the tar is the main bummer for the smokers.. but that takes a while, so your ok, the smoke you breath out, yeah it kinda smells, but theres nothing in that smoke that will do much harm to anyone that breaths that in.

but what about the unfiltered end of the cig, that is just sitting there, burning away giving off fumes. most of these fumes are actually 'invisible' to the human eye, and those are the toxic ones, those are the ones people are complaining about. those are the ones that do more damange than the filtered smoke that you smokes breath in, but your breathing this un-filtered smoke as well.

prove me wrong, get some scientist that works in the smoking industry (or what not, don't really care) to say i'm wrong....

there is a uk advert about it, can't find it... but awaiting your reply :)

no, i'm not a scientist, but i know what i'm talking about. i'm a senior health & p.e. major, so i'm not at all in support of smoking. i've studied smoking and its effects A LOT. so much that i'm sick of hearing about it. and i'll be teaching people about it every year until i'm 50.

despite what you've heard, there is no statistically significant link between exposure to second-hand smoke and cancer in non-smokers. there are statistics that say X number of people have died this year from passive smoke. this number increases every year, yet the number of smokers is actually decreasing. how on earth can one prove that passive smoke from cigarettes kills someone? do you realize how many toxins are in the air that aren't from cigarettes? car exhaust, smog from industries, CFCs... all kinda stuff. how do you prove it was cigarette smoke that caused this death? there are wayyy too many factors involved to link someone's death to second-hand smoke.

wii_cammy said:
Hmm..
England just copies but meh

AAnd the gverment just wants more money

I will show you how
Goverment gets money from taxing cigarettes and now goverment gets even more money from fining people for having that cigarette

Child and other people die from other people smoking, they would of made more money just carrying on as they were.

I'm glad they banned it here a few months back. It's nice to be able to go out without having to smell that horrible stench and risk getting cancer. If you want to smoke, fine. Just do it where the rest of us don't have to put up with it.

Last edited:
Back