England Smoking Ban

Napalmbrain said:
While I sympathise (my liberal tendencies tend to oppose banning things), I have to agree with this ban. The case for disease via passive smoking has not yet been proved or disproved conclusively, so I believe we should play it safe.

Also, I should point out that someone who is too loud and/or annoying can be thrown out of some public places. :D

Damn right, better to be safe than sorry.

Now A Poptart Ban!!! What Do We Want? Poptart Ban!!! When Do We Want It??? Noooowww!!!

Excessive comsumption of peanut butter can also be cancerous, but it does not harm anyone else around them. Okay, maybe if you've got a nut allergy and opt to use peanut butter or "pop tarts" for your weapons I doubt it. I love peanut butter, it's not like I can eat jars and jars of it in one go.

Napalmbrain said:
While I sympathise (my liberal tendencies tend to oppose banning things), I have to agree with this ban. The case for disease via passive smoking has not yet been proved or disproved conclusively, so I believe we should play it safe.

Personally I would have removed the far bigger threat to the nation's health from pubs......alcohol. 3x the number of deaths per year than atrributed to tobacco.

To the pro-booze anti-smoking crowd.......
Before you all tell me that alcohol only affects the person using it I've two things to say - drink driving and alcohol related violence. If only there was a cop or doctor to confirm that. And have any of you REALLY paid attention when standing next to a heavy drinker? They all have a unique fragrance..... even when sober.

Look, tobacco probably isn't good for me or you, but you really need to wake up and look at the facts about alcohol.

But Alcohol is nice and as long as you know yours limits you're fine. Whereas smoking is addictive when Alcoho isn't. Although im not going to argue the fact that alcohol is a killer. Drink driving is bad

yeh this ban came into melbourne (aus) on the 1st aswell. As a smoker myself i think its completely fair. at home i always smoke outside and never smoke in an undercover or enclosed area, its just common respect for the non-smokers around you. It's a bad addiction but some of you haters are goin a little nuts!

I have a theorum. There will be a huge epidemic of colds and flus in the winter as thousands of smokers will be stood outside pubs in the rain having a fag, getting drenched and ill, then spreading it to non-smokers. Ah well at least it should have a positive effect on cancer.

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
I have a theorum. There will be a huge epidemic of colds and flus in the winter as thousands of smokers will be stood outside pubs in the rain having a fag, getting drenched and ill, then spreading it to non-smokers. Ah well at least it should have a positive effect on cancer.

Yay colds!! THAT MEANS LESS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!1111oneeleven111111!!!!1111111

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
But then again, people who smoke hopefully will realise the risks from smoking these in the winter, and realise how stupid it is and stop.

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
Ah well at least it should have a positive effect on cancer.

Apart from prostate cancer......painful, incurable, and you are 40x more likely to get it if you don't smoke. Not that that is a reason to start, you understand.

Groves said:
But then again, people who smoke hopefully will realise the risks from smoking these in the winter, and realise how stupid it is and stop.
Oh joy..... thousands of people quiting smoking!!
how much tax is that.....(all numbers rounded for easiness of the maths
if they each smoke 10 cigs a day.. thats about £5 a day on cigs, with about £4 going in tax (yes most of it is tax).. so per person per year, the govenment get over £1400 on average*
so if 50,000 quit... thats £70milllion

*average by taking the fact that the average smoker smokes 10 cigs a day (or a normal packet)

Gaz said:
Oh joy..... thousands of people quiting smoking!!
how much tax is that.....(all numbers rounded for easiness of the maths
if they each smoke 10 cigs a day.. thats about £5 a day on cigs, with about £4 going in tax (yes most of it is tax).. so per person per year, the govenment get over £1400 on average*
so if 50,000 quit... thats £70milllion

*average by taking the fact that the average smoker smokes 10 cigs a day (or a normal packet)

But you'd make savings in the NHS with less people getting cancer and all...

Back