England Smoking Ban

Napalmbrain said:
But you'd make savings in the NHS with less people getting cancer and all...

Sorry to do this but you are plain wrong. Treating smoking related diseases cost the NHS approx £1.5 billion per year, tax on tobacco generates approximately 10x that amount at £15 billion per year.

captainff said:

Sorry to do this but you are plain wrong. Treating smoking related diseases cost the NHS approx £1.5 billion per year, tax on tobacco generates approximately 10x that amount at £15 billion per year.

so what, we loss money if someone stops smokin

zeon9881 said:
YES.Lots and lots of money. Which is why smoking is banned from public enclosed spaces (to keep non-smokers happy) but not completely.
It would be much more honest to have a total ban, but would cost the country billions each year, which is why it won't happen.

zeon9881 said:
So what!!!

how old are ya then... 12? 14? man you need to start learning about life if your older..

In the UK, tax is a KILLER!! the more money you earn, the more tax you pay to the gove... the less people that smoke, the more tax's on your earnings..

which would u prefer?

It's just a shame it took so long to come into effect. At last I can come back from clubbing / pub and not smell like an ash tray!

Gaz said:
So what!!!

how old are ya then... 12? 14? man you need to start learning about life if your older..

In the UK, tax is a KILLER!! the more money you earn, the more tax you pay to the gove... the less people that smoke, the more tax's on your earnings..

which would u prefer?

Sorry to double post, but.........

If less people smoke = less money spent on smoke related NHS treatments. It will balance.

Haz said:
Sorry to double post, but.........

If less people smoke = less money spent on smoke related NHS treatments. It will balance.
anything but, as someone already said, the money from tabacco tax is nearly 15 times more than NHS related costs on various treatments.

and to your other post, instead you will come back smelling like you just came out of a gym :)

we started something like that in my hometown...

although a bunch of bars are appealing to city hall so they can have smoking... i think its stupid that they can do that... ppl go to bars to drink, they can smoke at home.

i hate smoking, its stupid

paintba||er said:

You can drink at home too...

Yep. And then once you are really drunk and aggressive it's easier to beat up on your family too as there's less far to walk. It would stop town centre violence if alcohol was banned from all public places, keep it at home where it can't interrupt me having a quiet fag.

captainff said:

Yep. And then once you are really drunk and aggressive it's easier to beat up on your family too as there's less far to walk. It would stop town centre violence if alcohol was banned from all public places, keep it at home where it can't interrupt me having a quiet fag.
if thats your opinion on all drinkers. then fine by it..

Wii_Smurf said:
But Alcohol is nice and as long as you know yours limits you're fine. Whereas smoking is addictive when Alcoho isn't. Although im not going to argue the fact that alcohol is a killer. Drink driving is bad

LOL...

alcohol, not addictive? do you live under a rock? ever heard of alcoholism? alcoholics anonymous? people don't just ruin their lives with alcohol because they like the taste.

How can anyone class something as "addictive"? Surely, it's just a word for people to admit they have no will power.

Back