Exam Results!

I never said it was hard, just that I laugh at the different syntax's and mechanics of English vs. American...

Like "Pink Floyd are a band"..... Grammar (the American variety) is very natural to me, thus when it is the least bit different, it hits me on the deepest level. That is to say, it just FEELS so wrong, I have to laugh out loud.

If you actually understood my incoherent ramblings. +rep

Last edited:
Lewi T said:
Oh and come on people, GCSE maths was a complete walk in the park! It was piss easy! Everything from the coursework to the exam!

Are you freaking kidding me!?!

I failed my GCSE maths, so re-took it when I was in college and I still failed.. lawl :sick:

I even had a tutor for a while too..

And well done everyone, ya all did really good =]

Brawny said:
THAT's what's confusing. I get the letter grades, but the names and orders of the classes themselves....

And I laugh everytime I see "maths"......

English and American intrigues me.
What do you mean the names and orders of the classes?

I'm guessing you laugh at 'maths' because you say 'math', right? Why's that funny?? I say both, it depends what mood I'm in.

Did anyone catch this weeks 'Mock The Week'.

They explained exams in england very well:lol:

I will try to find the clip.

I got my Year 10 marks a couple of weeks ago.

Maths - A+
Science - A+
English - A
History - A
HPE - A FLUKE
Graphics - A+
Extension Science - A
Extension ICT - A+

Yay. I also got the highest mark in the country for my science test and the highest mark in Queensland for my Maths test.

Brawny said:
Argh, obviously you did NOT understand my incoherent ramblings Mister Lewi T.

No +rep for you. haha
I understand your incoherent ramblings...I just want to know what you mean by "the names and orders of the classes themselves"? Because if you don't get them then I would like to explain them to you - but to do that I need to understand what you mean by them.

Ewwww @ A+'s..... it skews the system...

@ Lewi T. GCSE's? A-levels? etc.

elementary, middle, high, college. Simple as that in US. haha

Brawny said:
Ewwww @ A+'s..... it skews the system...

@ Lewi T. GCSE's? A-levels? etc.

elementary, middle, high, college. Simple as that in US. haha
Ahhh I see...well, I already did an in-depth description of the English schooling system on another thread for someone else, so I suppose I'll go and find it...right here it is:

Primary School (Compulsary)
-Reception (Ages 4-5)
-Year 1 (Ages 5-6)
-Year 2 (Ages 6-7) --> SATs
-Year 3 (Ages 7-8)
-Year 4 (Ages 8-9)
-Year 5 (Ages 9-10)
-Year 6 (Ages 10-11) --> SATs

Secondary School (Compulsary)
-Year 7 (Ages 11-12)
-Year 8 (Ages 12-13)
-Year 9 (Ages 13-14) --> SATs
-Year 10 (Ages 14-15) --> Choose GCSE 'options', i.e. 10/11 subjects: Math, English (Lit + Lang), Science (Combined or Seperate) compulsary.
-Year 11 (Ages 15-16) --> GCSE exams in May

You can now leave school and get a job, an apprenticeship, or continue onto higher education (below).

6th Form College (Acceptance dependent on GCSE grades, often 5 A-Cs (A-C in Math, English and Science required, can resit if failed)...choose 3/4 subjects to study)
-Year 12 (or 'Lower 6th', ages 16-17) --> 'AS' Level Exams in January (can be retaken in June) and exams in June (can be retaken in January of Year 13). Passes (A-E) are required to carry on into Year 13. Can drop the 4th subject if you want
-Year 13 (or 'Upper 6th', ages 17-18) --> 'A2' (or just 'A') Level Exams in January (can be retaken in June) and exams in June

You can now do what you like - get a job, an apprenticeship, or go to University (depending on whether you get the 6th Form grades required by the University to take the course you desire).

So basically - Primary, Secondary, 6th Form, University. GCSE's are just final exams in Secondary school, and A-Levels are exams in 6th Form.

Oh yeah, but that's probably because the SATs are really testing the teachers - the better the pupils do, the better the teachers look. If everyone does sh*te, then questions are asked about the teachers. So they're just pointless exams really, apart from maybe how sets are decided for the following year.

By the way, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think in the US a 'public shool' is the same as a State school, but here in England it's a private school...just incase there was any confusion with any Americans :)

eh?! in England you have to go through 3 different schools?! Thats so weird, in Scotland we only do Primary - Secondary then College/University.

A'll try set it out simpler.....

Playgroup - 3/4 (age)
Nursery - 4/5

Primary School

Primary 1 - 5
Primary 2 - 6
Primary 3 - 7
Primary 4 - 8
Primary 5 - 9
Primary 6 - 10
Primary 7 - 11 (you only do miner tests to see what class you go in to etc for secondary)

Then you go to Secondary School

First Year - 12 (You do most every subject's offered at your school like maths, english a language etc)
Second Year - 13 (same as first year but after Christmas you pick about 9 subjects for Standard Grades or Intermediate's. Compulsary subjects are Maths, English, a language, a science, a social science (history, geography or modern studies and SVS then 3 more of your own choice but you have to follow certain guidlines, like you won't be able to choose drama, art and music i don't think.)
Third Year - 14 (Start the 2year standard grade course)
Forth Year - 15 (Do 2sets of prelims (one at christmas and one in easter-ish) then you sit your Standard Grades (only good thing is you get 1month of exam leave:D) also you pick about 5 more subjects to study in fifth year (either at higher or int1 or 2 or access3) - may leave school if 16 after the exams)
Fifth Year - 16 (Depending on your exam results you sit the appropriate level to 5 subjets (any ones you want!) Also sit the exam at the end of the school year) May leave at Christmas or summer
Sixth Year - 17 Do about 3 more higher/intermediates or leave then uni/college

God thats sounds complicated!

Well you only have to go through two - Primary and Secondary. 6th Form is optional. It looks the same as yours though, it's just Englands 6th Form is the same as your Fifth and Sixth years in Secondary school. Are them two years compulsary or?

javjaoll said:
eh?! in England you have to go through 3 different schools?! Thats so weird, in Scotland we only do Primary - Secondary then College/University.

A'll try set it out simpler.....

Playgroup - 3/4 (age)
Nursery - 4/5

Primary School

Primary 1 - 5
Primary 2 - 6
Primary 3 - 7
Primary 4 - 8
Primary 5 - 9
Primary 6 - 10
Primary 7 - 11 (you only do miner tests to see what class you go in to etc for secondary)

Then you go to Secondary School

First Year - 12 (You do most every subject's offered at your school like maths, english a language etc)
Second Year - 13 (same as first year but after Christmas you pick about 9 subjects for Standard Grades or Intermediate's. Compulsary subjects are Maths, English, a language, a science, a social science (history, geography or modern studies and SVS then 3 more of your own choice but you have to follow certain guidlines, like you won't be able to choose drama, art and music i don't think.)
Third Year - 14 (Start the 2year standard grade course)
Forth Year - 15 (Do 2sets of prelims (one at christmas and one in easter-ish) then you sit your Standard Grades (only good thing is you get 1month of exam leave:D) also you pick about 5 more subjects to study in fifth year (either at higher or int1 or 2 or access3) - may leave school if 16 after the exams)
Fifth Year - 16 (Depending on your exam results you sit the appropriate level to 5 subjets (any ones you want!) Also sit the exam at the end of the school year) May leave at Christmas or summer
Sixth Year - 17 Do about 3 more higher/intermediates or leave then uni/college

God thats sounds complicated!

You pick options near the end of the third year, not the second.

Cpt.McCloud said:
You pick options near the end of the third year, not the second.

I picked mine at the end of the 2nd year so we done a two year standard grade course starting from third year and ending in 4th year.

I picked my highers in the end of forth year so we could start straight in june for one month before summer.

It takes so much juggleing of classes though if you don't acheive your grade!

Back