Face it, Blu-Ray is needed

Do you have a link as to where you got that info from, I know you may have heard it from your brother, if so, does he have a link?

P.S It's not that I don't believe you I would just like to have something solid to go on.

Well, I stand corrected, thankyou for that very interesting read and I apologize for my false info from before. But as it does say there it will come down in price and in 4 years time...who knows what could happen?

I apologize for any nasty comments about Sony, I just don't understand how much better "Movies" can get. Please explain.

Toshiba, who is behind HD-DVD and the original DVD, has a deep connection to Mircrosoft, which pretty much seals Blu-rays fate.

If its the format that Microsoft picks, then thats the format the world has to deal with . Not to mention the fact that Xbox 360 has a HD-DVD drive which pretty much shows you where Microsoft stands.

gpoleweski said:
Well, I stand corrected, thankyou for that very interesting read and I apologize for my false info from before. But as it does say there it will come down in price and in 4 years time...who knows what could happen?

Dont worry about it. Your actually accepting the information instead of denying it.

I would say even in four years they will still be very expensive. Givin its the most high tech we really have that would be available for public.

Monstriods said:
I apologize for any nasty comments about Sony, I just don't understand how much better "Movies" can get. Please explain.

It really cant get better than 1080p. Once we move in to holo projectors it will make a difference. The thing is, at the moment 1080p quality is very space consuming. If you could fit all three Lord of the Rings on one Blu-ray at 1080p, that would be good. Even with HD-DVD's it will still need 2 or 3 disc's. Its really just a more simple way of doing things.

Toshiba, who is behind HD-DVD and the original DVD, has a deep connection to Mircrosoft, which pretty much seals Blu-rays fate.

If its the format that Microsoft picks, then thats the format the world has to deal with . Not to mention the fact that Xbox 360 has a HD-DVD drive which pretty much shows you where Microsoft stands.

So what where do they stand when they add the BDRom drive? How about the fact Blu-Ray is out selling HD-DVD 3:1. Microsoft isnt pushing the format for games. Right now its purely for movies. Blu-Ray is being pushed as a game/movie disc, even though you may say you dont want to buy movies on Blu-Ray, you dont have to, they also makes games on them. HD-DVD lost, it cant recover from Microsofts blunder of releasing the system without it.

Last edited:
Its not how much space there is to make the game, its whats put behind the game. Good games are made by good developers. Bad games are made from bad developers. I dunno, so no one start going crazy on me, but last time i heard, many of the better developers are leaving ps3..... I DONT KNOW SO DONT YELL AT ME!...... :( :(

m7ticalm said:
Its not how much space there is to make the game, its whats put behind the game. Good games are made by good developers. Bad games are made from bad developers. I dunno, so no one start going crazy on me, but last time i heard, many of the better developers are leaving ps3..... I DONT KNOW SO DONT YELL AT ME!...... :( :(
Take it easy. Some are yes but they still have a lot of great devs working on games and even new devs that want to play with the PS3. The fact is, with the PS franchise, its been known for its most original games. New devs have been making games on the PS consoles and brought great games. there are a lot of great games on the PS. Now give the same people more options and the games they can make will be even better.

If Zelda TP was made with 360 or PS3 hardware, would that make the game better? Having a more expansive world, more enemies, more moves, more people and places. Its not that it will make the game better, it will just bring more to a already good game.

GamerCon said:
Dont worry about it. Your actually accepting the information instead of denying it.

I would say even in four years they will still be very expensive. Givin its the most high tech we really have that would be available for public.

It really cant get better than 1080p. Once we move in to holo projectors it will make a difference. The thing is, at the moment 1080p quality is very space consuming. If you could fit all three Lord of the Rings on one Blu-ray at 1080p, that would be good. Even with HD-DVD's it will still need 2 or 3 disc's. Its really just a more simple way of doing things.

So what where do they stand when they add the BDRom drive? How about the fact Blu-Ray is out selling HD-DVD 3:1. Microsoft isnt pushing the format for games. Right now its purely for movies. Blu-Ray is being pushed as a game/movie disc, even though you may say you dont want to buy movies on Blu-Ray, you dont have to, they also makes games on them. HD-DVD lost, it cant recover from Microsofts blunder of releasing the system without it.
Thanks GamerCon

No problem, glad i could help clear things up for you.

Now this may have already been mentioned, I am too damn lazy to read through ten pages though. I say this every time someone brings this up. Why can't they just use multiple DVDs? They can. The only difference is that you may have to get off your lazy ass every once in a while to change a disc. I'm not against Sony, in fact I'm getting a PS3, but I just don't think that Blu-ray was necessary this generation. The PS1 did fine and it had many multi disc games, so I don't see why the PS3 would be any different.

Mr.Selfdestruct said:
Not to mention the fact that Xbox 360 has a HD-DVD drive which pretty much shows you where Microsoft stands.

Microsoft said they were open to adding a blue ray attachment as well, so there goes that. Microsoft isnt stupid, they will pick the format that they feel has the most potential. Its speculated that the HD-DVD will actually be the betamax where the blue ray is the VHS.

Feel free to read http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/05/microsoft-hd-dvd-might-be-next-betamax-switch-to-blu-ray-sti/

Either way, a bigger storage medium is needed for this generation. Wether it be HD-DVD or Blue Ray. It doesnt matter.

paintba||er said:
Now this may have already been mentioned, I am too damn lazy to read through ten pages though. I say this every time someone brings this up. Why can't they just use multiple DVDs? They can. The only difference is that you may have to get off your lazy ass every once in a while to change a disc. I'm not against Sony, in fact I'm getting a PS3, but I just don't think that Blu-ray was necessary this generation. The PS1 did fine and it had many multi disc games, so I don't see why the PS3 would be any different.

It actually costs more for the publisher to make two dual layer dvd's over one blue ray disc. Also since games are running off the disc more than say an installation, the core code and data has to be on each disc. This is actually not that practical and it becomes more of a burden on the developers themselves.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
It actually costs more for the publisher to make two dual layer dvd's over one blue ray disc. Also since games are running off the disc more than say an installation, the core code and data has to be on each disc. This is actually not that practical and it becomes more of a burden on the developers themselves.
It may be more of a hassle for the developers, but it can be done, and it wouldn't make too big of a difference for the consumers.

Well if thats the case then why use DVD's? Cd's are just fine right. You wouldnt mind changing the disc 9 or 10 times for the same game that would fit on 1 DVD. I really dont know why they stopped using such an effective format anyways, the CD was perfect.

Back