Gamecube lan functionality on Wii

we can try that too.. anyone who has double dash just im me ill send you the link to the site were you can download the lan party program... it might work just fine... i just dont know if the wifi is also connected to the GameCube part of the wii.. or if the GameCube part could even do anything with a wifi connection... ill try it on mine when i get home just not sure...

viperjason said:
Since the Wii pretty much supports all gamecube features, do you think it also supports lan multiplayer?

I'm wondering because I'm thinking about buying Mario Kart for the GameCube and I want to know how it will work with the LAN functionality on the Wii....

I doubt it

wezeles said:
we can try that too.. anyone who has double dash just im me ill send you the link to the site were you can download the lan party program... it might work just fine... i just dont know if the wifi is also connected to the GameCube part of the wii.. or if the GameCube part could even do anything with a wifi connection... ill try it on mine when i get home just not sure...

The wifi won't work. As far as double dash is concerned, it is just being played on a gamecube so it wouldn't recognize the wireless. It might work with a LAN adaptor however.

i know lan adapter would work.. there is a good handful of lan games for GC and i doubt wii would loose that fuction in the cross over.. as for wireless im not sure... would be a good question for nintendo.com unless the GC part of the system is completely disconnected from the wifi fuction if not im sure that there is a way for it to work might need a system update first before it does... the speed however could be a big problem

wezeles said:
i know lan adapter would work.. there is a good handful of lan games for GC and i doubt wii would loose that fuction in the cross over.. as for wireless im not sure... would be a good question for nintendo.com unless the GC part of the system is completely disconnected from the wifi fuction if not im sure that there is a way for it to work might need a system update first before it does... the speed however could be a big problem

I agree that the LAN adapter might work, but without a system update, the wifi won't. Mario Kart thinks it is on a gamecube and is searching for the ethernet adapter so it won't even know what the wifi is. A system update would only work if it can make gamecube titles think the wifi is the ethernet adapter.

could always just buy a gamecube with and a lan adapter for a hundred bucks or less... im kinda freaked about even tossing a GC disk in the wii with all the people saying theres are getting stuck in it... lan adapters now are only 25 30 bucks... an a GC can be had for 75 bucks or less...

wezeles said:
could always just buy a gamecube with and a lan adapter for a hundred bucks or less... im kinda freaked about even tossing a GC disk in the wii with all the people saying theres are getting stuck in it... lan adapters now are only 25 30 bucks... an a GC can be had for 75 bucks or less...
If gamecube discs are getting stuck in the Wii, somebody is shoving the discs in, which is abuse, I put gamecube discs in my Wii all the time (it was built for that), my Wii still works fine, but then, unlike most people, I don't push my discs in, I just let it fall in in a way until the grabber takes the disc and takes it in, as for the Wi-Fi card in the Wii, it's just hardware, network connection hardware to be specific, all you have to do is put software on the Wii to tell the gamecube portion to connect through the Wi-Fi card, the gamecube portion of the Wii is not a gamecube itself, it's just a mode in the Wii to play gamecube games, and i'm pretty sure that since the Wii has gamecube compatibility, the gamecube compatibility will work with the wireless card, if you have tried this and it dosen't work, maybe there needs to be an update for it, if you have not tried it, but thought that since the gamecube didn't have wireless compatibility, that the Wii's wireless card won't work on the gamecube portion, at least try it out before saying it dosen't work, because it might

bluebarron said:
I agree that the LAN adapter might work, but without a system update, the wifi won't. Mario Kart thinks it is on a gamecube and is searching for the ethernet adapter so it won't even know what the wifi is. A system update would only work if it can make gamecube titles think the wifi is the ethernet adapter.
The Wifi IS a ethernet adapter. At the heart of it, anything that runs the ethernet protocol is an ethernet adapter. There should be no reason it wouldnt work. Until someone trys and says yay or nay, I going to have to vote for yay. But I would love it if someone tried.

I read elsewhere online the Gamecube is NOT aware of the LAN capabilities built into the Wii. There is no way to make this work right now.

It might not because they had to reprogram the online engine for the Wii, but backwards compatibility is what nintendo wanted so it probably is...
It's not forward compatible though...

viperjason said:
The Wifi IS a ethernet adapter. At the heart of it, anything that runs the ethernet protocol is an ethernet adapter. There should be no reason it wouldnt work. Until someone trys and says yay or nay, I going to have to vote for yay. But I would love it if someone tried.
I am in a networking class, in this networking class I have to learn everything from plugging in cables (easy) to memorizing the OSI model (eh, i'd say medium, not hard), and everything in between, setting up servers, routers, learning DOS commands (yes, you have to know DOS commands for networking), understanding IPv4 and IPv6, and other networking related things, including all the protocols

Out of all that, I can say that I have never heard of a protocol called an ethernet protocol, and I know my share of protocols

Ethernet is a cable, not a protocol, ethernet is a cable with 4 sets of 2 wire pairs, so, you guessed it, it has 8 wires in all, and I know the color code by heart, 568A and B (B is most commonly used), the type of cabling ethernet is known as is twisted pair (which is where you get 4 sets of 2 pairs, the twisting process, you may of heard of UTP and STP, same thing)

The protocol that you are thinking of is IP, Internet Protocol, a set of 4 octets (8 bianary digits translated into the decimal numbering system), you may of heard of 192.168.1.1, that is a common IP for routers and wireless access points, 192.168.100.1 is the IP of most broadband modems

Anyway, what I mean to say by this is wireless is not an ethernet protocol, it has nothing to relate to protocols, wireless is off of Wi-Fi and wired is ethernet

gamechaser001 said:
I am in a networking class, in this networking class I have to learn everything from plugging in cables (easy) to memorizing the OSI model (eh, i'd say medium, not hard), and everything in between, setting up servers, routers, learning DOS commands (yes, you have to know DOS commands for networking), understanding IPv4 and IPv6, and other networking related things, including all the protocols

Out of all that, I can say that I have never heard of a protocol called an ethernet protocol, and I know my share of protocols

Ethernet is a cable, not a protocol, ethernet is a cable with 4 sets of 2 wire pairs, so, you guessed it, it has 8 wires in all, and I know the color code by heart, 568A and B (B is most commonly used), the type of cabling ethernet is known as is twisted pair (which is where you get 4 sets of 2 pairs, the twisting process, you may of heard of UTP and STP, same thing)

The protocol that you are thinking of is IP, Internet Protocol, a set of 4 octets (8 bianary digits translated into the decimal numbering system), you may of heard of 192.168.1.1, that is a common IP for routers and wireless access points, 192.168.100.1 is the IP of most broadband modems

Anyway, what I mean to say by this is wireless is not an ethernet protocol, it has nothing to relate to protocols, wireless is off of Wi-Fi and wired is ethernet

You bet your ass Ethernet is a protocol. Ethernet is the single most common layer 2 protocol in use today. Ethernet uses CSMA/CD. I could go on but you can read more about it at http://www.javvin.com/protocolEthernet.html

Wireless, Wi-Fi or 802.11b/g/n/a exist on the first layer of the OSI model, as does cat5 cable which is usually referred to as Ethernet cable. Ethernet itself is a protocol that exists on the second layer of the OSI model. Because it exists on the second layer, anything on the first layer can provide a way for anything on the second layer to work. Therefore, Ethernet will work on cat5 cabling OR Wi-Fi.

192.168.0.0/16 is one of 3 private, "non-routable" address spaces for use on private networks and NOT to be used on the Internet.

Now if you really want to impress me, tell me how error detection is done on cat5 cable or tell me what CIDR is and why it exists.

yep tryed it last night... wifi had no clue where the gamecube was... im sure an update by nintendo would fix the problem i doubt its even connected to the gamecube section of the wii... the lan adapter might work though so anyone who has one on there wii let me know.. ill let you know everything you need to get online with double dash

Last edited:
Thank you mym6 for setting that guy straight. For memorizing the OSI model layers, seemed you missed that day in class when they discussed layer 2.

how much is the lan adapter? i might just buy one and try it out for sake of argument... then take it back later...

Back