LAN connection help.

Chipper109

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2008
New York
So I looked on Nintendo.com on how to hook the Wii up to the internet. It said use either the wireless router, or the LAN connector for cable or broadband. Since I have broadband i figured I'd use the LAN kit for this. Now has anyone used the LAN kit with success? I was thinking it would be simple to set up until the last step had something to do with an ethernet cable. Do I need to buy a ethernet cable or will it come with one? Thanks.

Seriously? Thank you for replying, I thought it would take days for someone to look at this.

This LAN Adapter for a PC works great with the Wii. It is truly Plug and Play. Plug it in, power light on adapter comes on, attack a live Ethernet cable and LAN lights up, and goto your wii settings and select wired connection and your DONE. I use this. :)

Chipper109 said:
Thanks! Does anyone know if you purchase the games online, can you only play them online?

do you mean the games on Virtual Console?

those can be played whether on or offline as long as you've got it bought and downloaded already. hope that answered your question.

kyle

no, VC is old games you can download for a price. there is no paying to play online games (such as Medal of Honor, Dragonball Z, guitar hero 3, ect..). there is no "xbox live" with nintendo right now.
do you have DSL or cable? if you have cable, you'll need a router. if you have DSL, you might want a router so you dont have to swap wires all the time.

I don't remember if it came with an ethernet cable, but if it did, it was probably only long enough if you had your Wii right next to your computer. You can get a good 20ft cable for $20-$30.

I should just use wireless, because I'm able.
I just don't want people to steal it from me.:lol:

You might need a different controller to play the games you download.

I bought one friday and figured out that i didn't have an extra ethernet port. Yes, I do have a cable connection. Now other than the router, I can buy a ethernet splitter online. Is the Wii online really worth all this work?

you didnt have an extra ethernet port on your router?
if correct: buy a switch. a switch is different than a router. it has a lot less features.

is it worth the $25??? that depends on what else you might hook up to it.
i plan on having a router downstairs (at the modem). i will run an ethernet cable to my room. with that 1 ethernet cable i will put a switch on it. my PC, Wii, and Xbox will be connected to it. so to me it's worth the $ and and the ports on my router.

hope you followed that. networks can get confusing. i learned by trial and error which kinda sucks and can be a waiste of $.

I went to best buy and a worker there told me I needed a router. The router also needs to be encrypted? For a 'low price' of $160 they will do it there. So I didn't know if all that money was worth it.

Back