Help for LAN internet connection

Jase22

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2008
Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle!

I recently treat myself to a Wii and wanted to get involved online, so got myself a Wii LAN adaptor (the pucker Nintendo job) however I cannot get my Wii to connect to the Internet.

I currently have Broadband (Virgin media) internet at home, which is wired to a modem and then the ethernet cable runs straight to my computer for normal internet use. I took the cable from my computer, and plugged it into the Wii LAN adaptor plugged into my Wii but I keep getting an error message when it tries to test the connection. I reckon to have tried both automatic detection of settings and putting them in myself, although I could have done it wrong as I'm not that technically minded.

I hope someone can help.

I think it's a cable modem type, but I'm not sure. How might I tell? (I don't know what DSL is to be honest)

DSL uses your telephone line
Cable uses your cable tv line

Cable looks for the MAC address that is on your computer
you will need to buy a router.
most will help you set that up with the software that comes with it

Deffinitely cable then, cheers. You've lost me with talk of MAC addresses though, but if I get a router it'll work is that right?

correct!
after you plug everything in (by following the instructions), you have to setup the router. it will come with software to help you.

make sure you "clone your mac address" (it'll be an option)

if you need help, stop back here. we'll help
remember there are manuals on the manufacturers websites.

there's a sticky that have routers that work here on wiichat.
http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-online/8266-routers.html
search around and good luck!

Most routers work however there's a few that are Nintendo confirmed and a small known amount that don't work.

As said above, it's best to get a Nintendo confirmed router.

ok first of all not to be brash or anything, but when i talked to the nintendo support.. they said if your connecting directly from modem to LAN adaptor, then you do not need a router. which you said you did, i have the same problem.. either the nintendo support was wrong and heymoe99 you are right, or you have another problem jase22.

Back