GameCube Mode

Tek720

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
This was posted in another thread, which turned into a flame war. So rather than open that thread up again, here is my question.

When playing a GameCube game it seems that the Wii "becomes" a GameCube and shuts off all Wii software. Has anyone found a way out of GameCube mode without shutting the Wii off and then turning it back on?

Also, the RESET button will not let you out of GameCube mode. Rather the reset button functions exactly as it did on the GameCube, which is reset the console. Hitting reset only reloads the game like it did on GameCube.

I sapose this isn't a big deal because once I am done playing GameCube games I want to take my controllers out and so forth.

the method i use and probably allot of other people is to go back to games main menu screen, hit the eject button, take the disc out hit reset and boom your back to the wii menu screen without unplugging the console

Works like a charm. I think the Wii has some sort of "dual boot" function for GC games. So once in GameCube mode you are booted into the GC OS.

ericlewis91 said:
use the home button on the wiimote

I don't know if you have tried to play a GameCube game on the Wii yet. However, the WiiMote and all Wii functions are disabled once you start the GameCube game. The WiiMotes just blink as if they are not connected.

Same thing for me. I've tried and tried to hit the menu button but got nothing. Maybe its been fixed via firmware update.

acphydro said:
Same thing for me. I've tried and tried to hit the menu button but got nothing. Maybe its been fixed via firmware update.

Based on my background in computers I would say that is not possible. The Wii dual boots when playing a GameCube game. It has to trick the software into thinking it is a GameCube. So it is not possible to make the Wii stuff work. Just think of the Wii being two systems in one and only one can be on at the same time.

Back