Godfather Blackhand Edition Is Awesome!!!!

It's set during the 1940s/50s, and there's plenty of 'modern' weapons, shotguns, tommy (machine) guns, magnums etc. There's bombs too, but my weapon of choice is the baseball bat; as I very much enjoy executing people with it.

The controlls are flawless. Playing games on a regular controller feels pretty awkward and non-intuitive now; it's much more satisfying swinging to punch etc.

The strangling gesture is pretty good too, grabbing someone then shaking the wiimote and nunchuk until they croak :-D

I picked this up today from my local Game shop. It was the UK release day today, and i spoke to the guy in the shop and apparently they only got 3 copies of it in!! So i guess i was lucky to get one.

After a few hours of playing...

It feels similar to GTA, or even moreso Saints Row [360] if you'v played that. But obviously its set in the 50s so its got a different feel in that sense.

The controls seem complicated when you read the tutorials, but they are actually really really intuitive....essentially the left controller becomes your left hand and the right controller your right hand.

Personally I think the graphics are good. The main characters have really detailed faces which look stunning. The landscape [or perhaps cityscape] is slightly less detailed, but nevertheless not too bad.

The car handling - as with all GTA style games - is a little clunky, but driving isn't a huge part of the game so that doesnt really matter.

There are tons and tons of good cutscenes which really get you involved in the story as you play it.

Someone asked whether the punching is more responsive than Wii Sports Boxing, and i would say definitely. You can get some nice quick combos. Also there is a feature that allows you to execute people by holding A and doing certain movements, indicated on the screen. These executions vary depending what weapon you ahve at the time.

The selection of guns is varied and has all the usuals, pistols, machine gun, shotgun etc. Personally I find the good ol' baseball bat much more satisfying though!! There are also a selection of bombs/explosives.

One of the best features is the ability to grab people and throw them about or smash them into walls or ledges, or even off a building.

Also you can edit the appearance of your character. The amount of detail you can change the shape/look of the face is huge. The selection of clothes is in-keeping with the Godfather style - eg. suits, shirts, jackets.

Most of all this game is FUN. Its got all the great elements of any other GTA-style game, but the Wii control system makes it so much more fun and immersing.

Last edited:
If you do not have this game yet buy it now, best game on wii in my opinion. So amazing and so much to do!

I don't think it's the best game for the wii by far. One word, Zelda .
But I do think it's good, I like the controls. The graphics aren't half bad either.

how do you scrape somebody along a shelf or something (with glass bottles) after grabbing them?

Grab them, hold them so you are parrallel to a ledge, then jerk the controls in that direction. [there will be a little icon on the screen showing how to do it]

MAN! such a long list, super paper mario, godfather, NFS, wario wares, tramua center, Excite truck, sonic and the secret rings, prince of persia. Wii just came out and games spear my mind. I wish money grew on trees. :(

Back