graphics are overrated

s1lVL)n

WiiChat Member
Feb 11, 2007
I played Bioshock last night and the graphics were the flashiest I've ever seen. There was a hundred things going on, but I couldn't look past the beautifull textures. I had a headache within minutes. Having games looking that nice is not necessary. IMHO, graphics should not progress much beyond the N64/Gamecube era, because after this it becomes a chore to focus on gameplay.

Games like FEAR and Stalker are as far as graphics should be pushed.

Thanks to Nintendo for being aware of this.

I think the only problem with the games they're making these days are that they all have really shiny textures. I keep noticing that in alot of games like for example in alot of games people have shiny faces for some reason. Graphics help the game but its playing that that matters. I say do what Nintendo does and focus on the art too. they did that in Metroid prime and Zelda.

By the way even with graphics aside Bioshock was a great game... a little over rated but great.

No one can claim that the game playing experience on the Wii is any less enjoyable then the PS3/360, due to the lack of graphics power. In fact many poeple say that its more fun, due to the controls.

BUT

If Nintendo had packed a better graphics chip into the Wii, how Good would it have been... I dont think anyone would argue that the Wii's controls with the power of a PS3 would be amazing

imagine if Zelda TP looked like a cross between Heavonly sword and Lair.

Or if Mario actually looked like Bob Hoskins flying through space. Maybe thats a bit too far (and shows my age)

i personally would love greater graphics on wii, but i would not change my wii for ps3 anyday, (i already have an xbox 360, but choose my wii over that anyday) mainly because graphics are nice to look at but thats it they are just a pretty face, its what lies within that is the true beauty, as they say beauty is only skin deep, some with a game, its the play that makes it what it is

Part of the good point about the wii is that its cheap. If they'd put in graphics of the ps3 it would have become more expensive.

And yea, those shiney faces are strange. Also look at the cloth ( call of duty 2 for example ) the uniforms looked really strange instead of real.

Thing with the Wii is, as someone on here pointed out a while ago in another thread, the Wii is capable of putting out great looking games (Not as great as ps3 or 360's) but they are better than how a lot of the games look now. The Wii has not reached its full potential in putting together great looking games, however I feel with new titles like Sadness coming out, that would be a good time for the Wii's potential to be used.

Games are looking better though, Galaxy and Brawl look great as well as Metroid Prime 3, its only a matter of time before we get some better looking games on the Wii.

There's one thing that the wii is inferior to the 360 and the PS3.

The wii's, PS3's, and 360's graphics have a limit to how good they can be.

The fun-factor, though, is limitless.
The Wii remote gives the Wii a little boost.

So technically, once the PS3 and the 360 match the wii's fun-factor....

Then Nintendo's kinda in a hole.

Let's throw in simple math. Hypo

Wii: Has a 5 for fun and a 2 or 3 for graphics.
360 + PS3: has a 2 or 3 for fun and 5 for graphics.

Later down the line...

Wii: Has a 6 or 7 for fun, and a maxed 5 for graphics.
360 + PS3: Has a 5 or 6 for fun, and a maxed out 7 to 10 for graphics.

If odds go like this, Nintendo might have a problem on their hands.

^

Agreed.

The 360 has better graphics, but I see nothing wrong with the Wii's graphics and the games are very enjoyable.

The only game for the wii I've been mad at for graphics was Madden. its the same game (or atleast looks that way) i mean the controls on that are fun for about a hour. So the graphics hurt that game because I didnt get much out of it other than a Game Cube game with waggle controls.

i agree it seems that to be a good game you need awesome graphics and in every review i watch it talks about how the wii's graphics are nothing to the 360 and ps3, which is basically what nintendo is going for to prove that graphcis arent everything

s1lVL)n said:
I played Bioshock last night and the graphics were the flashiest I've ever seen. There was a hundred things going on, but I couldn't look past the beautifull textures. I had a headache within minutes. Having games looking that nice is not necessary. IMHO, graphics should not progress much beyond the N64/Gamecube era, because after this it becomes a chore to focus on gameplay.

Games like FEAR and Stalker are as far as graphics should be pushed.

Thanks to Nintendo for being aware of this.
actually that happens because there are such realistic blur effects its as though you are actually turning your head in that game, try walking around for a hour the way youd walk around in a FPS. youre not the only one to have gotten a headache from this.
but
graphics are overrated you say?
then how come the best selling and most popular platform is a graphic powerhouse?

CantGetAWii said:
Thing with the Wii is, as someone on here pointed out a while ago in another thread, the Wii is capable of putting out great looking games (Not as great as ps3 or 360's) but they are better than how a lot of the games look now. The Wii has not reached its full potential in putting together great looking games, however I feel with new titles like Sadness coming out, that would be a good time for the Wii's potential to be used.

Games are looking better though, Galaxy and Brawl look great as well as Metroid Prime 3, its only a matter of time before we get some better looking games on the Wii.
SMG, MP:3, and SSBB are pushing the Wii pretty much as far as it can go fyi.:wink:

and VIDEO + game... get over it.
graphics are not everything but that is a horrible excuse to give the Wii graphics of a high-end pc game from maybe 2002.
that's like using the "I'm not perfect" excuse to cheat on someone.

Last edited:
Dreamweaver said:
The computer? :wtf: That's only if you make it.
every game that comes out has higher minimum specs, they are pretty high right now as it is. (for my shitty comp at least)

Back