HD Cables in 480p?

most of the time , you pay for the name .

cables are cable . it's made of cable . even if it's black , blue , yellow , ord with red dots , it's still a cable . buy a cheap one , it'll do the exact same job than an expensive one , especially if it's short (less than 10' )

You can buy cheap milk , or expensive milk , it'll still taste milk.

Drizzt

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
most of the time , you pay for the name .

cables are cable . it's made of cable . even if it's black , blue , yellow , ord with red dots , it's still a cable . buy a cheap one , it'll do the exact same job than an expensive one , especially if it's short (less than 10' )

You can buy cheap milk , or expensive milk , it'll still taste milk.

Drizzt

Uh.. ok, but no.
Component cables are analogue and as a result the quality of their construction, and the parts that make them up, can make the difference between working and not working.

i'm sorry my friend , but you can do whichever test you want with FAIRLY NEW cables , it'll all be the same result.

if we talk about OLDER cable (2+ years) , you,re right . gold plated will last longer , etc...

also , remember that we talk here about 480P . if we talked about 1080I , or 1080P , then you're right.

Drizzt

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
"cables are cable . it's made of cable . even if it's black , blue , yellow , ord with red dots , it's still a cable . buy a cheap one , it'll do the exact same job than an expensive one , especially if it's short (less than 10')"

"i'm sorry my friend , but you can do whichever test you want with FAIRLY NEW cables , it'll all be the same result."
So if I bought some cheap unshielded, or poorly shielded 10ft. to 6ft. long RG-59 component cables, I'm not going to experience any noticeable or even negligible degradation in image quality from an analog 480p signal?

What if I told you that there was a 1000w receiver, an XBox360, a DISH network satellite receiver, and a set of 5.1 speakers totaling 900w surrounding the TV and the Wii with all its power/video/audio wires running parallel with the component cable mentioned above?

Will it "all be the same result", as you put it, in that situation?

I already know the answer and have experienced the difference between "fairly new" cheaply made cables and quality cables I've made myself.

For those that would like to know how to make component cables themselves, I point you to a very informative DIY video from Systm:
http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling

Last edited:
Drizzt Do'Urden said:
i'm sorry my friend , but you can do whichever test you want with FAIRLY NEW cables , it'll all be the same result.

if we talk about OLDER cable (2+ years) , you,re right . gold plated will last longer , etc...

also , remember that we talk here about 480P . if we talked about 1080I , or 1080P , then you're right.

Drizzt

You.. must have missed when I said analogue, so I'll say it again, analogue analogue analogue.
Because component is ANALOGUE, any interference will come out the other end as a drop in quality.

If you're gonna get yourself some Wii component cables you gotta have a look at play-asia first. They have an excellent third party component cable going for around $18aud shipped to your door. And they are quite swell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=150075421395&rd=1&rd=1

i bought these and they work great, and i have a rats nest of wires running back there and it's perfect picture quality.

in case anyone is wondering my setup is as follows:
6.1 surround sound receiver 800w.
Samsung 32" HDTV (1080i)
Wii
PS3
external Hard Drive,
and several other misc things laying around...

bottom line is, if it makes you feel better to spend more money on "better" cables then do it. if you don't want to spend allot and still get "good" cables then do it... in the end it's your decision... peace :)

eclipticrider:

Tell that to the bloke on the ocau forums whose tv refuses to work with the thinner, crappier, nintendo cables.
When it comes to analogue video, just like RF, quality does make a difference.

Besides those cables you linked to look alright to start with, maybe it's only the Aus nintendo cables that are badly shielded crud.

I bought the $10 cables off of ebay and promptly returned them. They were crap and degraded the quality of the image versuses using standard composite cables. The image was too dark. I then bought the cables off of Nintendo.com and those are only slightly better than the composite cables. Overall, I am not 100% satisfied with the overall quality and wouldn't recommend the component cables unless you have $40 burning a hole in your wallet.

Canumbler said:
sint:
sounds like there's something wrong with your setup...
I noticed a diference between the composite and the component cables. I just don't feel that it was drastic enough of a difference to justify spending an additional $40 on cables when the games aren't nearly as graphically beautiful as the 360's games are when using the composite cable versus the composite.

eclipticrider said:

These look like the ones I got before Christmas as well because the Nintendo ones were nowhere in stock. Much improved over the standard cable although be warned that jaggies on diagonals are very obvious on my 42" HD Samsung lcd. Colours and overall picture looks noticeably better and more vibrant although if jaggies bother you and you have a large HD screen, you may prefer the blurred diagonals of the standard cable which look smoother but less crisp. Fast action should be visibly smoother as well using the component cables on a modern screen provided the game supports 480p.

Last edited:
Back