Hey guys I need your help.

Mikeo22

WiiChat Member
Oct 29, 2007
Ok well first off i would like to say that I own both a wii and a 360, and that the wii is pretty sweet. Ok back on topic for xbox 360 i have to bring it downstairs, where my pc is JUST to play live. And I know about the wireless adaptor but i really just dont see myself paying 100 dollars just to be able to play one floor above, I thought about a really long ethernet cable but that just wouldn't work good in my house because the cord would just look odd running down my stairs lol. So the question I am asking you is, is their anyway that I could setup like a router that doesnt even need to plug into a computer, that I can just plug into my wall. So i could have an ethernet port in my room.

-mike

just use a long ethernet cord, run it along the wall and place electrical tape over it so it doesnt stray away.

dont double post/bump like this, if no one replies after a day after then you are able to bump the thread, not 15 minutes.

If you have a laptop you can share the internet connection from it to the 360... that's what I do. If not then just get a long ethernet cable.

hold on celestial wut do you mean by the laptop idea,

Well I unno, my brother did it for me. But we have a wireless router upstairs, and the 360 is downstairs.

So my laptop is connected to the router by the wireless thing. Then I can use an ethernet cable from my laptop to my 360.

I think what my brother did was enabled connection sharing on "Wireless Network Connection" and then it worked on my 360. Something like that :)

I think the laptop might need to be Windows XP though, not sure. Because we tried it on my brothers laptop, but he has Vista and it didn't work.

What I did at my old house was drill a hole through my upstairs floor/downstairs ceiling which was large enough to run a few cables through. The hole was covered upstairs by the carpet and the cables were run along the wall underneath the carpet so upstairs wasnt an issue. Downstairs the cables ran down the wall and was covered by cable boxes. can get them from 1 inch wide to 2, 3, 6 inches wide and they arent very deep.

I had my cable tv, stereo speakers, and ethernet cables running alongside each other. I could watch cable tv in over 3 rooms of the house from only 1 receiver, listen to music all over the house and connect a pc in any bedroom. Sweet

Thats how i have mine. Except mine isnt as hard to do because I have no upstairs. I drill a hole on the ceiling on the edge of the wall and run the cable to the other side of the house up the attic and drill another hole to the router.

im likeing the laptop idea but the thing is i personally dont have a laptop, my dad and sis do and its not like i can have it in my room the whole time or whenever i want to play 360 and its not like i could just run an ethernet to either of there rooms because the whole point of really having a laptop is so you can have internet access anywhere in the house, its not like they are always on it just in their room... so idk maybe just do the wireless adaptor :[ i really wish 360 had built in wi-fi.

oh come on ppl wut should i do?????? maybe i should just get a vga adaptor and play 360 on my pc...

The only suggestion I can give, is to get a wireless router, with a wireless adapter. Since you don't seem up to the whole Ethernet cable idea (personally I wouldn't like it either, just another long wire in the house). But the VGA adapter method works too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=628108

^ there's a great wireless router there, all you would need then is just a wireless adapter (i recommend one by the same brand).

Last edited:
Do you already have a WiFi router? If so, you can buy another one and set it up as a bridge/AP. Then you connect the 360 to one of the LAN ports on that router. Don't connect anything to it's WAN port. That second router will act as the go-between for your wired ethernet devices in your bedroom.

Or you can get two "ethernet over power line" devices. Those use your house's electrical wiring as the network cable. Here's a link for Netgear's, but there's quite a few other manfs too.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/HDX101.aspx

Back