Hmmmm, am i wrong?

smilinmonki666

WiiChat Member
Feb 26, 2007
I've been using that software available from orb.com and using mycast.orb.com via my Nintendo Wii. Its very good, don't get me wrong, especially once the bandwidth has improved and quality has improved, but, now this is where I'm a newbie!!

If you created an intranet at home, and add music & video plugins available on the Wii would that not be at a higher quality and faster speeds, I mean, you can access your router via the Wii so what about an intranet.

My reasoning is that its going to be a while for software to become available like media center and it looks like Nintendo are not creating a media streaming channel? And orb is fantastic but slow & compressed, what we need is something just like orb.com, but on your local server/ PC whereby it can grab all your media files.

I've decided this is going to be a slow project due being very busy, but any help or suggestions are very much welcome. I'm going to start a project using Mambo (I think?). If anyone can help or you have suggestion, email me at:
[email protected]

The Wii is not the best option for film playback as its limited on memory and CPU power.

A cheap progressive scan DVD player that supports re-writables is a much better option. If you have the content on your computer why not use that?

Red Kawa the person who developed Wii Video 9 converter has developed this

http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/wiimediacenterx/

Its not the fact that I havent got a DVD player, its just a project I would like to have a go at. If it is possible to use the Wii as a media extender then it would mean a cheap extender for a room, IE kitchen/ Bedroom and so forth and also, no need for a load of ugly boxes under or around the TV. It would then also double up as a games machine and internet portal, thus no media (ie: CD's/ DVD's) getting damaged in any way.

It would also be a cheaper alternative to an Xbox 360 in each room, and easier to use from a kids point of view I would of thought?

I'm not a techie geek, I am just looking at options and something to do.

Please, just reply if you can help or give any suggestions, apart from suggesting the idea of a DVD player.

I know exactly what you mean, it almost feels like Nintendo have unnecessarily restricted the Wii. The problem is that the Wii doesn’t support any good codecs so using that Wii converter program results in a ridiculously large output file.

I noticed this Xploder thingy is being released soon it claims to allow you to convert different video types to work on the Wii, although no idea if it will have better video compression.

Hey Evil_kaz,

It needs to use an SD card to transfer the video & mp3 files to the Wii, I'll have a look at Flash & see if I can create a web page on my pc and see if the Wii can open it through my network when I get home? Be interesting to see what happens. I just want to find a sollution for streaming files locally instead of streaming over the web with low quality. Fantastic at work for streaming music and data files, but not good quality.

Grrrrrrr, they never make it easy.

Wii - no media center

Xbox 360 - Only plays WMV, even with TVersity it doesnt work well (Something I'm doing I'm sure) or conversion programs that you have to upgrade you computer for, and I use my girlfriends Laptop, as I can't afford my own. :'(

Back