Five Things Wrong With Nintendo

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
The Nintendo Wii is by far one of the biggest surprise stories of gaming. From its unconventional name to its even more unconventional control scheme, few people believed that the console would take off. Fast forward 18 months in the future and the Wii is arguably the most successful system to come out this generation. Despite all the good things that the Wii has accomplished, that doesn’t free it from its faults.

Described in the jump are the five biggest faults of the Nintendo Wii.

5. Online Features

This is pretty common complaint among critics of Nintendo. I don’t necessarily think it is bad as some people make it out to be, but at the same time, when compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is severely lagging behind in this space. While they are making small but meaningful strides in this space (Super Smash Brother’s Brawl as a recent example) they are not doing nearly enough.

First and foremost, the friend code system has got to be trashed. There are plenty of ways that Nintendo can keep their family-friendly image to all the Mom and Pop’s out there, while still providing gamers with an infrastructure to keep track of their online friends with more ease. Friend codes wouldn’t be so bad if there was just one set of codes for you and your friends to enter. But for whatever reason, Nintendo made the decision to have a friend code for your Wii system, and then have additional friend codes within online titles to be different. Perhaps in lieu of the recent “Xbox Live rape” scandal, people just can’t stop thinking about the children. What about the gamers, damn it!

The decision to not allow voice-chat in any of their slim line-up of online games isn’t as condemnable though. (And, like all the current complaints, are subject to change) Personally, I think that voice chat within online games is worthless unless you are talking to friends that you already know. Xbox Live (and PSN to a lesser degree) is filled to the brim with racists, homophobes and other general slimy characters. Who wants to talk to these people, exactly?

4. Raising Quality Standards

The amount of absolute steaming piles of **** that call themselves video games on the Wii console is astonishing. Let’s go over some of these games, shall we? Have you heard of Anubis II? Legend of the Dragon? Jenga World Tour? Ninjabread Man? Need I go on?

It used to be that the seal on quality on Nintendo’s boxes meant something, but ever since Nintendo laxes their standards, chances are you’re buying a $20-$50 box full of nothing. Think of the Mom and Dad that do not know a single thing about video games for a second; they’re looking at a Wii game to get for their child. This child is suffering from cancer, you see. They want to get a game that will cheer the little guy or gal up, and they decide that Ninjabread Man looks like it’s suitable for their child to play.

They plop the money down for the game and bring it home to their child. The child is already sick, and the absolute brutality of these types of games is crushing both his/her will to live, as well as mine. You don’t really want to crush our spirit to live, do you Nintendo?

3. New Franchises, Please

Nintendo has slowly allowed themselves to rely on a base of key Nintendo franchises for much too long. I love all of the Nintendo staples; Donkey Kong, (hell, how about a new Donkey Kong platformer?) Mario, Link, etc., but would it hurt to try and branch out and create a couple new characters that we can grow to love?

I know, Wii Fit, Wii Play and Wii Sports. Those are all new franchises that Nintendo has created within this console cycle, and they do play an important role for the development of the platform itself. This is about as close as you’ll see me get to criticizing Nintendo’s focus on casual games, since it is so easy to say “Blame Wii Fit,” for the lack of new “hardcore” titles. But those titles are not something that we as hardcore gamers crave as badly as a nice epic adventure, a new platformer, or maybe even a shooter. New characters and new worlds to explore is what we want more than mini-games, and we’re not getting them.

Can we get one, please?

2. Focus on the Wii Control Scheme

The Wii, more than either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, has seen its fair share of innovative titles that have fundamentally changed the way we play games. However, it seems like Nintendo is the only company to fully take advantage of the unique control setup the Wii offers. (Well, Capcom, by all accounts, did a great job with Zack and Wiki.)

Sadly for the “hardcore gamers”, the casual games are cleaning up in this space. Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Wii Play are putting us in new situations, enabling us to experience new ways to play games. What Nintendo must do is to reach out to third-parties (and this goes hand-in-hand with quality standards) and work with them to create new ways to use Wiimote/nunchuk in their titles. Too many times when playing Wii games have I felt that I was essentially playing a PS2 port. Nintendo needs the maximum amount of innovation to continue to dominate this market, and they can’t do it alone forever.

1. Supply Issues

This is probably the most obvious of them all. I myself have not had to go running around town, calling up stores to procure a Nintendo Wii. I got mine at launch. Yet, we’re a year and a half into their console cycle, and I can count on one hand how many times I have actually seen a Nintendo Wii in a store shelf, just waiting to be purchased. I understand that the console is selling like hotcakes, but there isn’t one good reason that they cannot meet the demand for the system.

Outside of the unique control setup, the innards of the Wii is for all intents and purposes a glorified Gamecube. (Or, for an additional fanboy baiting comment, the Wii is a “two Gamecubes duct taped together”) So why can’t Nintendo increase production so that they can get a Wii to every person that wants it? Why the rat race?

Source

I am sure most of you can find more than 5 things wrong with them, but these are the general problems/concerns. The ones that I agree are big problems are no Voice Chat (weak online) and lack of new franchises. Hopefully Nintendo starts or already has planned to do both of those.

Yeah, I guess we should get new franchises....as long as we get to keep the old ones, too.

Everything about the Wii's online is weak, there's nothing it does better than PSN or Live. Nintendo needs to do a major overhaul in that department, but I don't know if they actually care since most Japanese players dont even care about online.

Yes they need to make better standards, but I think Nintendo overall is screwed. Making hardware thats inferior to the rest is just not going to attract developers. Lets say Nintendo did make a standard, then they would be stuck with a handful of games and making little to no money by software sales. So I don't really see how this can be fixed until the next console.

New franchises I agree 100%, this is all on Nintendo, but truthfully I think Nintendo is scared to take risks. They seem to have a cookie cutter mindframe when it comes to their games. They're usually rahashed ideas that seem to keep people pleased somehow... For instance, Zelda games are always the same. It's just different visuals and a new story. Everything else is almost exactly the same. It's like if MS kept making Halo trilogies with a new story and say it's a different Master Chief in a different era...

Control Schemes is all up to the game devs, I don't think Nintendo can really fix that because they do fine on their own games.

Supply and Demand! Somehow I think Nintendo is purposely doing this to keep up anticipation for the console. I don't understand how the cheapest console is having such huge supply issues. Don't give me that crap about Wii selling like Hotcakes because even though it's selling alot, compared to how cheap it is to make and how easy, it should be able to keep up.

Dumbass_Luigi said:
Yeah, I guess we should get new franchises....as long as we get to keep the old ones, too.

yeah and the old franchises need new characters(especialky enemies). it is getting annoying versing bowser all the time. for once, could bowser actuallu team UP with mario to stop evil?

KHgamer said:
yeah and the old franchises need new characters(especialky enemies). it is getting annoying versing bowser all the time. for once, could bowser actuallu team UP with mario to stop evil?
I had an idea like that, too.....except with Zelda.

Ganondorf and Link have to team up to stop an even greater enemy. Of course in the game, they start out as rivals, but them join up after the real evil guy appears....And, maybe a new princess?

You cant really blame them for the supply. I heard they are making 1.8 million a month. More than any other system ever. (I may have miss heard, but this is what the rep for nintendo america said on Gametrailers on spike TV tonight).

T3kNi9e said:
Everything about the Wii's online is weak, there's nothing it does better than PSN or Live.

yea in 1 thing: SUCKING lol

i think the problem is Nintendo Of Japan thats all

man nintendo online needs to step it up alot as we all agree on, speaking to one another is one thing, but the friend code thing is just... hell no..

personally i'd say to keep the zelda games basically link against ganon, its classic and its been around for years (i was pissed when there was no ganon in majora's mask), but they need some new rpg games as well..

another thing i wanna mention is how nintendo claims to be for all audiences or w/e, they need to focus on the mature audience a bit more... reminds me how smash bros brawl is slower than melee, did they slow that down because it was too fast for the little kids or something? the wii is still my favorite console but the DS lost me forever.

2. Focus on the Wii Control Scheme

The Wii, more than either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, has seen its fair share of innovative titles that have fundamentally changed the way we play games. However, it seems like Nintendo is the only company to fully take advantage of the unique control setup the Wii offers. (Well, Capcom, by all accounts, did a great job with Zack and Wiki.)

Has the writer of the article actually played on a Wii? I think it's a bit rich criticizing something that they have no first hand experience of.

None of the original list is a description of a fault with the Wii .. .. .. .. it's a list of what people think they want for the Wii (and if they had it there would STILL be supid lists like this made).

well..
I dont care about other 4 reasons but the reason 5...

The reason why the online is crap is because its free..
If we have to pay to play the online, it would suck for a person who are not allowed to use credit cards. (like me).
even though it's 5 bucks for month (like rumscap, i dont play, my friend does),
some parents doesn't really trust givng credit card numbers on internet.

Also, if u say that, all the money nintendo makes is enough to support the online gameplay?
Ur wrong! Nintendo is really famous console and also Rated E(everyone) game.
Which means, even a 5 years old can play it and enjoy it, but wahts wrong about it is, there are a lot of children out there who doesn't wears a wii strap but swings it too hard and hit someone, etc..
Then, nintendo gets blamed and get sued for a lot of dollars.

That's when Nintendo uses the money we should of get for online play, but instead they use it to protect themselves. Which is not a bad decision. I think it's great. Nintedo live = more games for mario fan isn't it? XD

Problem is the kid who doesn't know how to use freaking wiimote properly and nintendo get sued for it...

jason416 said:
well..
I dont care about other 4 reasons but the reason 5...

The reason why the online is crap is because its free..
If we have to pay to play the online, it would suck for a person who are not allowed to use credit cards. (like me).
even though it's 5 bucks for month (like rumscap, i dont play, my friend does),
some parents doesn't really trust givng credit card numbers on internet.

Also, if u say that, all the money nintendo makes is enough to support the online gameplay?
Ur wrong! Nintendo is really famous console and also Rated E(everyone) game.
Which means, even a 5 years old can play it and enjoy it, but wahts wrong about it is, there are a lot of children out there who doesn't wears a wii strap but swings it too hard and hit someone, etc..
Then, nintendo gets blamed and get sued for a lot of dollars.

That's when Nintendo uses the money we should of get for online play, but instead they use it to protect themselves. Which is not a bad decision. I think it's great. Nintedo live = more games for mario fan isn't it? XD

Problem is the kid who doesn't know how to use freaking wiimote properly and nintendo get sued for it...

I honestly do not understand how people can still use the "it's free, so you can't complain" argument. PSN (both on the PS2 and PS3) is free, and they BLOW Nintendo online away. They have friends lists, voice chat, clans, etc.

And it's all free.

Bummer.

The new franchise thing is sorta pushing things don't you think? Look at other major 3rd party do you see them pushing out new franchise every generation? or stick to their winning formula? Big N does try to push out new franchise each gen, so keep your horses : )

And correct me if I'm wrong, but PS2 online services are from third party correct? as far as servers, voice chats, etc. mostly those who have experience online on PC before? I don't know for PS3. Yes Big N can step it up a notch with the online, but only in time can we tell. An article every month, or every game that comes out with online support, complaining about FC and no voice chat gets bothersome don't you think?

Back