top 3 things the wii needs to survive!

blume9370

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
Jeremy Bergen

If Sony’s Jack Tretton is to be believed, the next-generation consoles have roughly 8 years left in their respective life cycles (let the baseball analogies begin). While the Nintendo Wii experienced tremendous early success with its innovative gameplay and family friendly titles, it is yet to be seen if the console can stand up to the test of time. One thing is for certain, time is surely not going to treat the technologically inferior Wii as well as its beefier cousins. If this was a three way baseball game, right now the score might look like Wii – 4, Xbox – 2, and PS3 – 1 at the top of the 2nd inning. Here are 3 things the Wii needs to do to survive the ballgame.

Peripherals, Peripherals, Peripherals

Nothing will energize the Wii over its lifecycle like new (quality) innovative peripherals. Gamers will only be content waggling their Wiimotes for so long. In order for the Wii to sustain its momentum, Nintendo needs to continually release external gaming hardware that add interactivity into games. Gamers were drawn in by the Wiimote; they will stay because of other devices. Nintendo seemed to have already recognized this with “Wii Fit.” However, the Wii Fit’s unveiling at E3 ’07 was awkward to say the least. It is yet to be determined if the Wii Fit board will be a true innovation to gaming or a mere novelty. The peripherals will have to be integrated into gaming experiences instead of having games created solely to use the peripheral. Imagine playing a future Metroid game where movement is controlled by leaning in different directions on the Wii Fit board and shooting is controlled by the Wiimote. If the Wii wants to stay relevant through its lifecycle, Nintendo must make up for what it lacks in graphical capability with innovation in gaming.

Online Gaming
Gamers are no longer just content to play solo campaigns or with a friend in their own living room. Online gaming has become an integral part of gaming for the past five years, and its importance will only increase with time. Nintendo has attempted to make consumers believe that it already incorporates online gaming, but in truth, online gaming is all but absent on the Wii. If Nintendo is serious about incorporating online gaming, their first step must be to create some sort of gaming “channel” where users can log on and connect with friends worldwide. The Wii already has avatars for gamers. How difficult would it be to create a syrupy Nintendofied version of PS3’s home incorporating Miis? Wii Shop must also incorporate free downloadable demos of upcoming releases, and for the love of Princess Peach, the friend codes need to be ditched completely. Voice capability must be integrated into the online service as well. After all, half of the fun of multiplayer gaming is the ability to talk to other players. Will gamers ever be able to hook up with a friend across the globe for some retro Double Dragon action? It’s up to Nintendo to decide.

Substance over Novelty
Without a doubt, the novelty of the Wii has been its main attraction. Many consumers have purchased a Wii “just to see how it works.” Parents were intrigued by a video game console that got their kids off the couch and flying around the living room. While novelty may draw initial interest, substance sustains interest. This means Nintendo must continue to release quality titles that integrate motion experience instead of just exploiting it. Collections of mini-games are fun diversions, but rarely sustain long term interest. The main problem with mere novelty gaming is that once a user plays the game once, the novelty is gone. Nintendo has already made some missteps in this area. The Wii’s catalogue is already chocked full of pointless mediocre games with shoddy motion control. Also, from the Forecast channel to Everybody Votes, Nintendo’s previously released “channels” have been nothing more than shiny trinkets. They are fun to look at for a minute, but get discarded almost immediately. Nintendo must release additional channels that provide content that sustains interest. Both Nintendo and 3rd party developers will need to step up to the plate in the upcoming years to provide quality engaging titles that keep the Wii from becoming the “other” system when gamers want a break from playing real games on their 360’s and PS3’s.

While Nintendo has certainly earned its right to puff out its chest and gloat a little, the “game” is far from over. 2008 is certain to set the tone for the years to come for the Wii. With the PS3 seemingly finding its feet and the 360 still going strong, Nintendo must fight to stay relevant in a rapidly changing gaming world. The Wii must maximize its strengths of innovation and unique gameplay to overcome its glaring technological shortcomings. Whether console lifecycles are nine inning ballgames is up to debate, but what Mr. Tretton is right about is that it is still early in the ballgame, and the Wii still has much to prove.

Ahh another ps3 fanboy that thinks they still have a chance with a 10 year console... does anyone believe the PS3 will last 10 years? even anyone at sony? out of all of them i think sony has the shortest life span of all...

unless they come out with something killer, like the crazy interactiveness of the eye toy they promised and fast... sony might as well throw in the towl for the next 9 years because the only thing they will dominate is last place...

You know Nintendo and Microsoft are both working on crazy killer systems right now with the all the new stuff that has hit the gaming market... It might even hit us sooner than the 5 year cycle we are use to...

Sony just has to admit it was a Bad move on there part to have such a Crazy advanced and expensive console, and to force Blue ray with it... they will survive though they are a huge company and have a decent enough "hardcore base" that they might even break even after selling the ps3 below cost...

They have had this type of stuff happen to Sony in the past: see mini disk...
and to Nintendo aswell: see virtual boy..

but you gotta get messy and make mistakes once in a while to make progress, they just need to admit they messed up, fix the problem and move on...

if they keep thinking they are king and that everyone will come crawling back they are just going to end up loosing there gaming market all together... and that would be a shame for all of us...

Last edited:
ok for one thing u say how long will people be content waggling their wii remotes?
how long will be people be content with sitting on the couch pressing buttons?

zap'em up said:
ok for one thing u say how long will people be content waggling their wii remotes?
how long will be people be content with sitting on the couch pressing buttons?

ok i didn't write the artics. my name is jesse as you can see at the top that is not the name.i just found this article on a site and posted it here for u all to read.:smilewinkgrin:

lol ohh well then whoever wrote it i disagree on that part becuz people can get sick of anything.
nd its true though we need better online

That article drips with contempt, it's hard to read it without sencing it; even though I agree with some of it's points.

The wii will live or die by the quality of third party support, which is lousy because of the conteptible attitudes expressed in that article. Nothing ain't gonna change untill they start thinking of the wii as a vaible gaming console, actualy WORTHY of their support.

The irony of this article is that it's one of many, predicting the downfall of the wii because of it's noveltiy and techenical inferiority, compared to the PS3and 360, but it is these same people that need to make decent games for it for it to be taken seriously. (What I mean is the games industry as a whole, including the press and developers, ect.) It is a catch 22 situation.

As I saw somewhere else, the Wii was meant to be a fad. It is a fad. But its not just a fad, its one of the most innovative things out there. And fun too, and it can even be hardcore at moments, like metroid prime and resident evil. So they got the Wii sold as a fad, now their gonna build on to it like crazy and launch the Wii into success.

I'm sorry the VC line up is way more hardcore than the games on the HD consoles, hey but thats me get to the 5 level of super ghouls and ghost and you'll see what I mean. The whole HD thing is getting boring really fast to me and there are no games I want on those systems so far. It just reminds me of what an empty shell the PC industry is. It's weird but I'm getting the same feeling with these HD systems even though the fan boy fight to the death about their system. You know the Ati and nvidia boys did the same and look how many games they got out of it. The whole FPS thing is silly because I only really play them on PC BC of the controls. Price is straggling the HD consoles and I'm not sure if they can fix that... since HDtvs cost so much... so it seems things will only get worst.....

Maybe I'll just buy one just to force my self to like those games more. Hell I would be happy with a 3d version of double dragon 2 on the nes. Upper cutting bad guys into ceiling spikes was a blast!

So far the only thing people are getting right is online play.... The stories aren't getting any better yet, Ai still sucks and I'm totally in a un-addicted state when playing these games. Hell I keep feeling like what is the point? I'm a skilled gamer so make it's different for every one else but I like my games crazy hard and action packed or either full of strategy. Yet I've heard war hawk was good...

I may be getting a xbox or PS3 just to test some stuff in Ut3. Thats about it unless I can find some thing that actually sucks me into the game. I guess it's the feeling of socom being applied to the whole catalog. i know every thing is not a FPS yet realism is getting boring already.

Rant over-

WiitnessID said:
I'm sorry the VC line up is way more hardcore than the games on the HD consoles, hey but thats me get to the 5 level of super ghouls and ghost and you'll see what I mean. The whole HD thing is getting boring really fast to me and there are no games I want on those systems so far. It just reminds me of what an empty shell the PC industry is. It's weird but I'm getting the same feeling with these HD systems even though the fan boy fight to the death about their system. You know the Ati and nvidia boys did the same and look how many games they got out of it. The whole FPS thing is silly because I only really play them on PC BC of the controls. Price is straggling the HD consoles and I'm not sure if they can fix that... since HDtvs cost so much... so it seems things will only get worst.....

Maybe I'll just buy one just to force my self to like those games more. Hell I would be happy with a 3d version of double dragon 2 on the nes. Upper cutting bad guys into ceiling spikes was a blast!

So far the only thing people are getting right is online play.... The stories aren't getting any better yet, Ai still sucks and I'm totally in a un-addicted state when playing these games. Hell I keep feeling like what is the point? I'm a skilled gamer so make it's different for every one else but I like my games crazy hard and action packed or either full of strategy. Yet I've heard war hawk was good...

I may be getting a xbox or PS3 just to test some stuff in Ut3. Thats about it unless I can find some thing that actually sucks me into the game. I guess it's the feeling of socom being applied to the whole catalog. i know every thing is not a FPS yet realism is getting boring already.

Rant over-

1.) Hmmm..so Halo 3, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted, The Orange Box, Gears of War, Warhawk, BioShock, GRAW, Ratchet and Clank Future, Oblivion and the many other top tier games out there aren't good enough to interest you?

2.) What is price "straggling". The PS3 is rediculously expensive, but the lowest end 360 is $279- thats only $30 more than wii if you are doing the math.

3.) HD TV's are really inexpensive right now. You can buy a pretty nice LCD for under $500 if you look hard enough, and you can buy a 40"+ LCD or plasma right now for about $1000. The prices are only going lower.

4.) If you think the AI sucks on the ps3/360 games, then you obviously have not played Rainbow Six Vegas, COD4, Mass Effect, or Halo 3--all these games have been accalimed for how good the AI is. Halo 3 actually won an award for best enemy AI ever from EGM at e3.

If you actually played any of the games I've mentioned so far, you'd be addicted--just play COD4 online once, or even Mass Effect.

5.) With games like Mass Effect and Gears of War out there I do not understand how you think the HD systems do not have games that are not action packed, or strategic enough for you. Go play COD4 and tell me that that's not action packed.

On topic- the Wii is a novelty device, Nintendo has marketed it as a novelty device, it will continue to sell like gangbusters no matter what because it is a novely (my 60 year old parents have one and play it every night), it will never be a hardcore gaming system (if you want that, you probably already own a ps3/360), and more periferals is a terrible idea (newsflash, people do not want a ton of periferals taking up space).

Everyone just needs to relax- the wii will do just fine, and expect to be playing it for a good long time. If you want third party support, hardcore games, online functionality, then go buy an xbox 360- that's what I did. You can buy both that and a wii for the price of a ps3--problem solved.

Last edited:
wezeles said:
Ahh another ps3 fanboy that thinks they still have a chance with a 10 year console... does anyone believe the PS3 will last 10 years? even anyone at sony? out of all of them i think sony has the shortest life span of all...

unless they come out with something killer, like the crazy interactiveness of the eye toy they promised and fast... sony might as well throw in the towl for the next 9 years because the only thing they will dominate is last place...

You know Nintendo and Microsoft are both working on crazy killer systems right now with the all the new stuff that has hit the gaming market... It might even hit us sooner than the 5 year cycle we are use to...

Sony just has to admit it was a Bad move on there part to have such a Crazy advanced and expensive console, and to force Blue ray with it... they will survive though they are a huge company and have a decent enough "hardcore base" that they might even break even after selling the ps3 below cost...

They have had this type of stuff happen to Sony in the past: see mini disk...
and to Nintendo aswell: see virtual boy..

but you gotta get messy and make mistakes once in a while to make progress, they just need to admit they messed up, fix the problem and move on...

if they keep thinking they are king and that everyone will come crawling back they are just going to end up loosing there gaming market all together... and that would be a shame for all of us...

It's a good article, dude. You’re letting Fanboyism get in the way of the truth. The Wii needs to do all these things.

BTW...The PS3 is not a mistake. They have great games, a good system, and Bluray is great. It's so fashionable to hate on the PS3. Be a think for yourselfer, dude.

Big_League_Slugger said:
It's a good article, dude. You’re letting Fanboyism get in the way of the truth. The Wii needs to do all these things.

BTW...The PS3 is not a mistake. They have great games, a good system, and Bluray is great. It's so fashionable to hate on the PS3. Be a think for yourselfer, dude.

Totally dude im sorry...lol shut up

i dont hate the PS3 ive said in many post its one of the most top of the line systems made.... but thats also the reason its in last place and will stay there without some brilliant marketing and price cuts.... if anything what they are telling the Wii to do is what PS3 needs to do...

The wii has more Peripherals than any of them... wii fit will be hitting everyware soon, aswell as all the popular 3rd party peripherals, they are trying to rush out a rockband for the wii now cause they had no clue of its popularity untill it was too late...

PS3 on the other hand offers little extra For the money you spend.. you can get the same games on a 360 with better online play.. and a way better price

Sony needs needs needs to come out with this crazy new eye toy thats all there is too it, they say its recognition software will put game play at levels close to the Wii's... once i see that with more than a couple games ill go buy a ps3 myself...

Ive also said they need to remarket the PS3 twards the entire family not just the gamers... to the Dads for Blue Ray and there HD videos, As a Game console for the kids, and if you get eyetoy it might be interactive enough mom will even play... but Sony still thinks it dominated with "hardcore fans" When the fact is sony had more casual gamers than any of the other 2 consoles with ps2... and now they are loosing these gamers over to the Wii...

untill then its only the devoted fan base "fanboys" that are willing to shell out the cash for this Entertainment System of Sonys, and screwing peope over with backwards compatability issues isnt going to help... untill then the only hope for sony is
a 300 dollar price tag console that is also backwards compatibal to the ps2 and has enough memory that the normal gamer wont fill it...

only 10% of the population even has HD...
No one cares about blue ray and no one ever will its not a selling point to Hardly anyone....Thats why to squeeze out the extra sales they need to market this to the people who like top of the line entertainment systems not just gamers... as the cheeper blueray player...

to me DVD of anykind is outdated physical memory...
I download all my HD content right to my DVR i havent bought a DVD in months let alone spent twice as much on an HDdvd or Blueray... and most people with a complete HD entertainment center would say the same thing.. and thats the Reason why HDdvd and blueray sales have been, and will always have small sales... combined total sales of all HDDVD and Blue ray titles is still less than the Titanic on DVD...

Sad but true open your eyes dude.. im talking buisness not fanboyism...
and to benefit me all 3 companies need to do well.. the more supply and demand the lower prices are for everything and that benefits me... no one needs to crticise
The Wii when its in First place... people should be looking at what the loosing brands are doing wrong and try to fix that...

Last edited:
Some of you guys are seriously so full of **** that its showing.

Two of the big paragraphs in this article are completely true and has been bought up in these forums countless times. ONLINE, Wii's online fukkin sucks. If you think its all great then you have little or no experience with 360, PS3 and PC. Nintendo gives the appearance of true online when they advertise "Wi-fi" so much, its true it has wi-fi it has online games, but the library is so small right now that you might as well not advertise anything.

Substance over Novelty, this one has been even more talked about on these forums. Nintendo is the only developer to make more serious games that are actually good while other developers make nothing but mini-game trash or very low quality games. Yet you guys are bash the guy for saying it in a article? Its true that the Wii attracted people because of the new controls and style of play. Of course price was a big factor too, but with all those commercials of Wii players looking all happy and playing their Wii's that also had a big impact. The fact is, so far Wii has more stupid crap games than they do actual quality games.

Periphials, now this one is not entirely true. I dont think people will get tired of the Wii's controls, BUT... That doesn't mean it makes them special forever. Once you get used to it, the Wii's controls are nothing special... Especially when the best aspect of point and click is barely used.

So its true, he even admits that Wii will still sell, but for it to sustain itself as truley a console instead of just a fall back console for people to play when they get bored. So far, with the small library of Wii games, and the pathetic online, thats what it is for me. Its forcing me to put my Wii away and wait for something worth buying.

So stop being such fanboys and admit the flaws in your console, I admit the flaws in every console I own because im not blind and stupid. I really think most Wii owners are envious of people who own PS3/360 because the FACT (not opinion, you can check metacritic for this) is that they have better overall games. Well, PS3 is a little behind but it WILL pick up 2008. Be real, sales mean nothing when most people who bought the Wii were parents for their kids/family. Who I might add, most of them know almost nothing about games, so what is there to gloat about?

Storage Expandability: For Downloaded VC Games, saves, miis, other content, etc.

More Online Multiplayer: Engage users around the world in online play.

More Titles(including VC): They don't have to be "Wii-enhanced" but they can have the option of using the regular controller. For example the Madden Series is a nightmare for the Wii. You are forced to use the wiimote and the graphics and options are subpar.

Better Graphics: For the next gen at least include the option for High Def and above 640x480 graphics.

vjmeht said:
Storage Expandability: For Downloaded VC Games, saves, miis, other content, etc.

More Online Multiplayer: Engage users around the world in online play.

More Titles(including VC): They don't have to be "Wii-enhanced" but they can have the option of using the regular controller. For example the Madden Series is a nightmare for the Wii. You are forced to use the wiimote and the graphics and options are subpar.

Better Graphics: For the next gen at least include the option for High Def and above 640x480 graphics.

End of thread. This guy hit the nail on the head A++

Back