Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How The Wii Has Survived

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by CantGetAWii, Mar 2, 2008.

1. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Source

2. DstyCube

DstyCube WiiChat Member

HAHA!

I like the conculding paragraph at the end! :lol:

3. metalfreak

metalfreak THE Beast

Wii Friend Code: 2856-3740-5359-2869
    2856-3740-5359-2869
    for the most part i agree with the message that article tries to communicate and i hope the Wii doesn't fade away into the past soon at least.

this part in particular made me laugh...lol

4. wezeles

wezeles Guru of everything Ninty

Wii Friend Code: 6074-3351-1151-1701
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Bunch of non-sense based on his own feelings twards gaming...

Another sore looser from the MS/Sony crowd that Nintendo is whiping the floor with!

1st. The Cartridge issue. Nintendo was in development with none other than Sony to make the N64 a CD console "and eventually did in Japan with the DD", but concerns of "pirating" of the games made them stick with the cartridge format. Not just load times "that was the load of crap they tell the media, although true it was not the real reason behind its use". But in the end it really was a good choice because everyone knew how to "steal" all of these type of games.
    I personally have so many burn't Rom games for 3DO,PS1,Dream Cast,SEGA CD,SEGA Saturn that its not even funny so simple to do by todays standards. And even at the time this technology was not secure enough, specially with computers in pretty much ever home and wanna be hackers making it there goal to get into there game systems codes.
    Beyond this Nintendo owned the patent for the cartridge for there systems. Unless you wanted to design and build your own plastic cartridge you had to buy them from none other than Nintendo for your games. Even more Money for a Buisness that likes to make Money wierd I know but its buisness..lol Can you blame them?

They then move to the GC there first attempt at "CD" games but instead of CD's they used Mini-DVD's Why? Well just like there CD predecessors within a short amount of time people knew how to "Hack" PS2/Xbox games and simply burn them onto a Standard DVD... Although this is possibal with the Wii as well, the Mini-DVD "a sony creation" was not widely accessable to the public untill the new Sony handicam mini-DVD handy cams came out. "near the end of the life of GC". So even if you knew how to "hack" the GC it ended up being too difficult/time consuming/expensive to even really bother doing. Tada even more profit and less stealing compared to there rivals. "Nintendo is all about this you will notice in there own history with consumers and 3rd party"

2nd. Wii production. I know i have posted it before but here it goes again..
    In 15 months they have sold about 21 million wii's average of 1,400,00 a month
    In 15 months time they sold about 10 million ps3's average of 660,000 a month
    In 27 months time they sold about 17 million 360's average of 630,000 a month

No one is close to the wii's prodcution numbers they are double or higher anyone else based on time and sold units. It's honestly amazing they are keeping up this well! The Wii is the fastest selling video game console in History. These kind of numbers has never happened before, they couldn't have ever expected that kinda production being needed. Even the best selling console EVER the PS2, it didn't reach these kind of production numbers untill the end of its 3rd year. Not even close in its first! No one has ever had to produce this many consoles in the first year of sales ever.

3rd. DLC/Voice chat Both these features are on the way to the Wii, and are foillowed by the Pay-to PLay announcement, hopefully it is done well, lets not bash before something is seen just for the sake of it.
    Although it may not be the best online this is Nintendos first Real attempt at online play besides the DS handheld. Its been 16 Months now.. cut them some slack jesus..lol

Lastly complaining about stupid things! Like DVD playback "stupid" Just spend 18 bucks at radio shack buy a DVD player. No reason to kill your console life span "like what happened with the "ps2" by playing DVD's on it.

Now the fact that 3rd party is not great at making Wii games by incorporating the IR/Motion controls very well. Thats just stupid arguments, has more to do with outside factors than anything Nintendo can controll. Nintendo will continue to make great 1st party games while 3rd party catches up "as we see them slowly doing finnaly." The concept of crap games goes back to this aswell, Nintendo has made games well, 3rd party is the one that has tossed everything and anything at Nintendos huge fan base and hopes it sticks. and with 21.5 million owners obviously every game will sell to some extent no matter how good or bad it is. Specially considering all the new gamers that came into the market with the Wii. You can put crap in a box title it "Great Game" and give it a low price it will sell to the people that do not know about game buying yet.
    But they will be sure to stay away from any specific publisher if they feel burned because of it. And in the end only the publishing companys will "pay" for the sales of crap games, because no new commer will come back to them or there companys name. Just like in the Real World of consumers. You only get a couple burns before you loose a customer forever! Gamers have been too nice so far, the new audience of casual will not put up with the same failures.

This is article is nothing more then uninformed, biased persoanl opinion. It contains more poor sports attitude than any real facts.

If you don't like the Wii don't buy it! It's simple as that. Every group needs a Minority and you can be it! Because this time its going to be Nintendo, and people are still crying about that.
    Nintendo opened a whole new market with the Wii, complaining about more people gaming is utterly stupid, with more people comes more money, comes more inovation, and more support in the world of gaming. Granted the Wii may not be you "style", but I dont see MS/Sony jumping on the bandwagon of "casual suppot" as much as Nintendo. At worst the future systems will all eventually have a little something for EVERYONE to enjoy, not just you. The niche gaming world is out the window now. Although it has supported us for a little while, it's not going to be the deciding factor anymore. Thank God!

The Wii is the Ipod of Consoles bringing gaming to the world as a popular entertainment source. It's nothing but great news for gaming as a whole. Although it may seem like a "Pop" attraction to the "hardcore", its not going away any time soon! This type of user friendly gaming will attract even more people to the gaming world.
    And in the words of Martha Stewart "It's a Good Thing"

I'm done... :aureola:

#4 wezeles, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

Oh please, we all know the real reason for the lack of available consoles. :D

[​IMG]

6. Deanis

Deanis Tip#67: Sell Your Wii

Wii Friend Code: 4076-9395-0234-2025
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Cant be bothered making a new thread, but has anyone else noticed Nintendo's sales history seems to go in a 2 part cycle?

NES/SNES: WIN
    N64/GCN: FAIL
    Wii/???: WIN

kinda on and off with the Gameboys (not as accurate, but you get the point):
    GB: WIN
    GBp: FAIL
    GBC: WIN
    GBA: FAIL
    GBA SP: WIN
    DS: FAIL
    DS Lite: WIN

I dont mean failed completely, just didnt do as well as its predecessor, successor.

7. Napalmbrain

That's not really enough to say there's a pattern there.

8. Deanis

Deanis Tip#67: Sell Your Wii

Wii Friend Code: 4076-9395-0234-2025
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    Yer you are right, but that IS like 25yrs of pattern lol.

9. Big Bottom

Big Bottom WiiChat Member

The Gamecube sold more worldwide than the 360 has at present.

10. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

The Gamecube sold more worldwide than all 3 consoles at present, thats irrelevant to this.

The article has some nice points but I disagree with it going to fail. I think its pretty obvious its going to last.

11. Napalmbrain

To be fair, the Gamecube does have the ever so slight advantage of having being out for the past six or seven years...

12. M4573RM1ND

M4573RM1ND Cloverfield's biggest fan

Wii Friend Code: 0746-0660-3187-3697
    0746-0660-3187-3697
    its been 16 months. There is NO excuse. Seriously, the freaking Wii remote RUNS ON BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY. There is no reason that they haven't made a headset already! It could be made overnight if they wanted to! and I want to see your source saying that the headset technology is on the way.

13. wezeles

wezeles Guru of everything Ninty

Wii Friend Code: 6074-3351-1151-1701
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Wow learn to read before you even start to make demands!

Did I mention a Headset? No I said Voice chat has been confirmed. If they use a headset like with the DS, or some kind of speaker phone like rumored who knows. I was talking about the Voice chat itself not what your gonna have to use it.

Besides that there are plenty of reason for them not to release Voice Chat yet.

1. They had no previous setup for it, or any type of online for a console for that matter untill the Wii, they offered online capabilities with the GC but only 4 games used it and they had there own dedicated 3rd party servers outside of Nintendo, they themself had nothing to do with online besides the technology itself to get the system online. i.e. zero experience. Trying to toss something out with the veteran Xbox Live and even battling Sony for voice support from the start would have been stupid. They wouldn't have came close to todays standards for Voice, They barely get by with "child proof" Online play itself.

2. Voice chat on the other consoles usually get a little out of hand, i.e. Swearing,racial remarks,harrasment... This is not the type of thing " Family Friendly" Nintendo wants all the new gamers to walk into and get upset with. Sure Wii Sports is fun, but lets say it was online and had voice from the start. So grandma buys a Wii hops online to play bowling with the grandkids but they arnt online yet so she goes to a random game. Now she has someone swearing at her online and making crude remarks and she never wants to touch a video game again! yep by by sales Nintendo.

3. They know they can't just limit it to Friends codes and call it good, thats to easy of an out and no one would really use the voice chat if that was the case. So they have to figure out a way to keep "grandma" and the "hardcore" happy all using the same system. Go for it tell me how you would do it and how easy it would be! Because it wouldn't be at all. You would have to work with 3rd party devs and come up with a system they agree on to make the majority of customers happy and try not to single anyone out.

I persoanlly think they should limit the voice chat by game rattings, so for EC,E,E10+ all have to have a friend codes to use voice chat. The T,M, AO all have free range voice chat with no friends codes. If parents or adults who bought the system want to complain then its there own fault for not reading the rating system and the fact it could contain that type of content. Give Nintendo an easy out that will keep everyone happy, maybe upset a few but not the huge numbers if they were to go to one extream or the other. Still they would have to get 3rd party online games to support the same setup if its to work.

Whatever they decide will come out when Pay to Play hits around this summer, They have already picked the direction they want to go we just have to wait and see what that is.

#13 wezeles, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  14. nice_wii

nice_wii God of rock

Wii Friend Code: 1187-4697-8660-7282
    1187-4697-8660-7282
    Wii owns no questions asked