Hooking up the wii to your computer?

Desi_Wii_G

Welcome to the Good Life
Aug 14, 2007
Wii Online Code
8914-3870-7184-8437
Can someone explain to me on how to do this. All i want to do is be able to play the wii on my comp. I already have Wi-Fi and stuff just need to know how? I can the see the cable parts where u hook up the video and stuff. I was wondering if there is anything extra?...

It is possible to do this, but you need the proper cables to do so.
Your graphicscard has to have a TV-OUT slot. If it doesn't have one, you can't play your Wii on your PC Monitor.

lol i have no clue wat ur talking about... lol im sorry i just bought the wii today and yea... maybe i should just give it a shot...

Desi_Wii_G said:
lol i have no clue wat ur talking about... lol im sorry i just bought the wii today and yea... maybe i should just give it a shot...
desi. if i was rich i wouldnt hook it up to my computer. I would hook it up to my house!!! so that it can change how dim the lights are n stuff. change the thermo stat watch tv on it. etc etc.

Secumfex said:
Your graphicscard has to have a TV-OUT slot. If it doesn't have one, you can't play your Wii on your PC Monitor.

This is excatly right. You need to have a TV-OUT port on your graphics card.

Evolve82 said:
This is excatly right. You need to have a TV-OUT port on your graphics card.

What are you guys talking about? TV-OUT means is a way to hook the computer to a TV, it's not an input.

You need a capture card for your PC and it has to be as close to "real time" as possible. This is generally not the case as there is usually some sort of lag, particularly with the new ones because they include software meant to act like a PVR. This means they are doing time shifting which will result in a severe lag between what the Wii is outputting and what you see. My recommendation is that you get a TV that acts as a monitor and TV. Many flat panel TV are able to do this.

i think i got that TV-OUT on my laptop, it is yellow and there's a picture of a screen and an arrow pointing away next to it.
now... what cable do i need? =D

mym6 said:
What are you guys talking about? TV-OUT means is a way to hook the computer to a TV, it's not an input.

I've played with the Wii on my PC before, and I needed the TV-OUT slot on my graphicscard. I linked the Wii Cables with a component cable and put it into the TV-OUT. I downloaded a capture Program then and played on my PC Monitor

Last edited:
Yes it is the yellow socket! Sorry should have put this on my other post!

The cable is like a phono cable, can get it from a PC or electronics shop.

lol at all the retarded comments here!

To connect your Wii to your Laptop, you can use the following two methods.

1) Buy an RF Modulator (link and buy a TV Card, connect the Wii to the RF Modulator and then plug the Modulator into the TV Card aerial socket, then finally plug the TV card into your Computer via USB.

2) You will need a Scart/Phone to S-Video convertor (I suggest ebay), then connect your Wii via an S-Video cable to your computer, you will of course need S-Video INPUT on your computer.

Note: MOST, graphic cards have TV-OUT, S-Video-OUT, these will NOT work, as they only allow output communication. You will need a Video Capture card if you do not have an input socket.

Hope this helps

Edit: The first method is how I connected my GameCube to my laptop in my first year of Uni - so I know it works!

lets connect our wii to the TVOUT connector on the video card so that it can display on the monitor....

^ read that, and you tell me if it makes sense.... don't over think it.

paintba||er said:
Just get a component to VGA or composite to VGA adapter and hook it directly to your monitor without using your PC. If you do that you might want to get a KVM switch to so that you don't have to constantly unplug and replug them.

Do you get a gain in picture quality like this?

Back