How much Would it cost to get a 50" HDTV for 720p?

The Sams Club here in Athens, GA had a 50" plasma they're selling as-is for $750. They do that a lot. They take returns on almost anything so when they get a broken unit back, they'll send it off for repair and sell it as-is real cheap when it gets back. I got a 32" LCD a while back for $450 the same way.

Heey, how you doing! Post your threads in an appropriate thread next time, it helps keeping everything organised. You should have posted here:
http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/
Anyway, if your place can fit that sort of size I strongly Reccommend this one http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=null&tm=null&sku=707245&category_oid=-21226
But it's well out of your budget at £2,339.00
so try this on for size:
http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=440723&category_oid=
this come in at £1,433.00 and is a 46inch, also slightly over your budget, But these ones are VERY superior models from Samsung, we just bought an M series which is much cheaper, and the F series is much better,

http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/48371-buying-new-tv-best-buys.html
This threads show's all of the best models around, check it out!

Hope this helped, btw, Sony and Samsung are the most reliable!
Ofcourse this is only good if you live in the UK!
L8r

50" 720p IMO would be a waste of money. Just get like a 42" 1080p instead. But in reality I wouldn't even buy either cuz HDTV's are just too expensive for me :p

Go with a projector. Projectors rule:

- Easier to ship/handle/install (and cheaper if you're paying for shipping)
- HUGE picture (easily more than 55")
- Don't require as much space in your room
- When the TV is off, you don't have an obnoxious useless piece of equipment looming
- Cheaper $$$/inch of display area
- Can you imagine if something goes wrong with your 55" and you need to send it back???

And forget the issues of "wah wah the bulbs cost too much". Do the math: works out to about $0.25/hour of TV watching time. Worth it.

sremick said:
Go with a projector. Projectors rule:

- Easier to ship/handle/install (and cheaper if you're paying for shipping)
- HUGE picture (easily more than 55")
- Don't require as much space in your room
- When the TV is off, you don't have an obnoxious useless piece of equipment looming
- Cheaper $$$/inch of display area
- Can you imagine if something goes wrong with your 55" and you need to send it back???

And forget the issues of "wah wah the bulbs cost too much". Do the math: works out to about $0.25/hour of TV watching time. Worth it.
They're twice the price of a 50" and don't come with anything to improve quality. Just so you know, for an average TV watcher, .25/ hour is expensive because you have to pay for TV/ Satellite, your movies, power, etc. think about it.

As to how much they generally are at retailers near you Google usually helps find things like that <_<

261311 said:
They're twice the price of a 50"
Who is selling 50" TVs for $420? You can get a Mitsubishi HC1500 (720p) for $840, shipped.

and don't come with anything to improve quality
Perhaps not, but they have many other advantages (as I listed). Not only cheaper, but most people interested in a 50" TV are of the "bigger is better" mindset, and wouldn't mind even bigger than 50", which a projector can easily do.

Just so you know, for an average TV watcher, .25/ hour is expensive because you have to pay for TV/ Satellite, your movies, power, etc. think about it.
I have thought about it. And so have many other people. That's why we're all projector fans. Granted, "worth it" is subjective... someone who's poor might not find it "worth it". But someone willing to blow $1000+ on their TV probably isn't going to nitpick about $0.25/hour for a huge-arse sized TV image. Heck, the amount he'd save for that Mitsubishi versus the $1200 he was prepared to pay would pay for a spare bulb.

I've been seriously considering a projector for the bedroom - it's a big room, and I'd prefer to have the TV closer, but then it needs to "float" in the middle of the room (which is a little awkward).

Plus I'd love to have a cleaner setup in the bedroom - I really like the idea of rolling up a screen and everything disappearing. I'm sure I can tap the power from the existing ceiling fan (I saw a setup like this on AVS, with a slick ceiling shelf).

That HC1500 comes up a bit over there too, sounds like a good unit for the price.

A lot of it is thinking outside of the box. Too many people have gotten into the mindset that "TV" has to be "this big expensive thing that sits in front of you and takes up lots of space". Which is odd, because before there were TVs, watching movies was "looking at a cheap thin screen with a small projector sitting behind you shining a picture on it"... which is still the case if you go to a movie theater. So why the resistance? People fight the idea as if you're trying to make them change their favorite color. Odd.

Back when I was in hardware tech support, I was in charge of maintaining more than a few projectors. Those stupid bulbs never last as long as they're supposed to and cost a fortune to replace. Our "2000 hour" bulbs often didn't last half that. And it took a whole lot of lumens to get a decent picture anywhere but a dark room. Projectors are nice for portable displays and for large meeting halls, auditoriums, etc. But for my home, I'll stick with my LCD TV.

Just make sure if you do get a projector to make sure you see how it performs in decent light first and find out how much the replacement bulbs are and how long the bulbs really last before making the purchase.

Note that bulb life is affected by number of "firings" and misuse. For example, rapid switching on-and-off is bad. Also, not letting the machine go through the proper cool-down is also bad. It's very common for users to just hit the hard power-off switch, vs. the soft-off button which will run the fan for a while to cool the bulb.

I'm not saying you mis-used the projectors, but if you weren't the only one using them, this sort of mis-use is common and go a long way to reducing bulb life. If you watch the AV forums, people who actually know how to properly care for their units (unlike Joe Blow average user, not you but probably a lot of the other people who used the projectors you had to then maintain) and are the primary/sole users often get more than the rated life-expectancy out of their bulbs.

Considering ive yet to see anyone in my life use a projector to watch TV, im going to say you are party of a minority of people who think using a projecter is more cost efficient and overall better than just buying a HDTV.

Seriously wtf? Using a projecter to watch TV? The only people who are going to do that are people who are stupid or don't really give a ****. You also have to have a near dark room and a big space of all with a projection slide. Also you obviously need a place to put the projector that it faces the wall nicely without anyone blocking the path.

Also im pretty sure you would need a sound system because ive never heard of a projector that emits sounds.

The only people who should be using a projectors are people who often give presentations off computers or some rich guy trying to create a theatre in their house.

Now I could be wrong about some things, but im pretty sure im right about you being apart of the minority who thinks projectors is better.

T3kNi9e said:
Considering ive yet to see anyone in my life use a projector to watch TV
Well, that anecdotal experience proves nothing.

im going to say you are party of a minority of people who think using a projecter is more cost efficient and overall better than just buying a HDTV
I don't deny us being a minority. But what's your evidence that a non-projector is better? I offered up plenty of specific reasons supporting my side. Yours seems to be "I don't know anyone who has one, so it can't be better". I don't see you refuting my points.

Seriously wtf? Using a projecter to watch TV? The only people who are going to do that are people who are stupid or don't really give a ****.
Now you're just being rude and out of line. Such insults are uncalled for, don't contribute anything constructive to the discussion, and weaken your side. Instead of trolling and calling those with a different opinion "stupid" people who "don't really give a ****", how about instead addressing my specific points? I can assure you, those with projectors do "give a ****". And that's a big reason why they went with a projector... because instead of just doing what everyone else does, or some outdated concept of what is "normal", they looked at the evidence and the factors and weighed them and saw the benefits of this new technology, even though it's a new paradigm in the idea of home "TV".

Your arguments are pretty weak. I gave specific points. You instead just call us "stupid", claim we "don't really give a ****", and then just say we can't be right because you don't know of anyone with a projector. Well guess what? Once upon a time, the same arguments could've been used about having a flat-panel TV or computer monitor. Early on, they were more-expensive and something for the elite. Then there was this long period where although they were smaller, cheaper, and gave a better-quality image, people still resisted them because they were so entrenched in their traditional mindset that a TV/monitor should be a big tube. And now look... most every new TV on the shelves is flat panel.

Am I saying projectors are right for everyone? Of course not. But once you start talking 50+ inches and being willing to spend $1000+ on it, it only makes sense to start thinking beyond a big expensive panel of dots. There's better technology for pulling that off, that actually costs less (even factoring in the cost of the occasional bulb).

You also have to have a near dark room
Just goes to show how out-of-touch you are with the subject you are trying to debate. Plenty of modern projectors throw out enough lumens to be seen in your average room lighting.

and a big space of all with a projection slide
Again, you're wrong. All it takes is any neutral-colored surface. Many people just shine them on the wall. And you don't need a "big space". The bigger the space, the bigger image you can get, but you don't have to have any specific size space. Every projector manufacturer includes a chart for determining the screen size with a given throw distance. It doesn't take much distance to pull off 50" though.

Also you obviously need a place to put the projector that it faces the wall nicely without anyone blocking the path.
Rarely a problem, and projectors are small. Just how many have you set up?

Also im pretty sure you would need a sound system because ive never heard of a projector that emits sounds.
And I don't know too many people without a home stereo of some sort that they can easily hook up into it. ;) And honestly, just about any set of stereo speakers is going to sound better than what is included in your TV. Hell, on my 36" tube I hooked up a $50 set of 2.1 computer speakers that sounded several-times better than what was built into it (before I upgraded to a 5.1 surround-sound receiver).

The only people who should be using a projectors are people who often give presentations off computers or some rich guy trying to create a theatre in their house.
Again, shows you how out-of-touch you are with the current state of the industry and the technology. Heck, even my cousin has a cheap standard-def projector in his bedroom. He loves playing console game systems on it (he has several) but he watches TV too.

Last edited:
flight1991 said:
well. im thinking about 1200. I dont know though

It depends... what are your needs?? Do you want just any 720p TV? If so find the cheapest LCD on the market and buy it. It'll be "HD" but oh boy will it have an ugly picture-but if that's what makes you happy then OK.

As a gamer it's always a bad idea to use a LCD or Plasma. I understand that nowadays screen burn in has been reduced, but by how much really?? It's still there. You don't want to spend $1,200 and have burn in problems 4 years later.

50" is pretty large. How far away will you be from the display?

If less than 8 feet, then definately an HD CRT. ~$150-$1,500

If farther than 8 feet, A small plasma ~42". ~$800-$3,000

If farther than 15 feet, DEFINATELY a projector. ~$2,000+

Thanx 4 listenin'.

HAHAHAHAHAHA HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE LOLOLOLOLOLOLO JAJAJAJAJAJAJA :lol::aureola::wink: :sick::yesnod::scared::ciappa::smilewinkgrin::wtf::mad5: :crazy: :O :yikes::cool::shocked:

Back