How to connect to internet with wii?

It will only make the siganl stronger Zori, and easier to pick up, as long as the routers are not peices of crap.

Ooh alright then I guess wireless router is a go. Thanks spitfire! :D

Is there a way to connect with dial-up does anybody know. I don't expect to be doing any gaming online, but I wouldnt mind downloading some of those classic games!

No prob, Zori! :) As for you DarkDepths, I won't rule it out completely but chances that the Wii is online capable (considering it's WiFi) with a dial up connection are about 00.01 out of 100. So sorry, but no. Just find a friend who has wireless internet or lives close enough to a hotspot (Starbucks, McD's, etc) and take it there then download. Hope I helped :D

hey

@DarkDepths: I think it will probably be possible. Well I also have dialup, and I use Linux, so I don't think that Nintendo USB WiFi adaptor or whatever would work for me. But I'd just get the Nintendo Wii Ethernet adaptor, and then connect it to my computers Network Card with a Crossover Cable, and then try figure how to share my internet connection.

@Spitfire_K: Why does it matter if it's WiFi??? Sorry, I don't really know much about such things :\.

cyas

There will probably be lots of data downloaded to the Wii automatically so using a dial-up will be out of the question.

It is tough possible to do this via a XP computer, if you buy a USB Wlan stick that supports creating a software base-station for client wlan devices to connect to like this one:ZyXEL ZyAIR G-220 - WLAN USB

Then you enable internet connection sharing from your dialup modem to the USB wlan and then your Wii (and obiously you have a DS also :yesnod: ) is connected to the internet.

DarkDepths said:
Is there a way to connect with dial-up does anybody know. I don't expect to be doing any gaming online, but I wouldnt mind downloading some of those classic games!

If you still have Dial-up, just buy Broadband. It's 10 times faster, and in some cases (optimum online) cheaper.

Like they said, you need to either have access to a public hot spot, have an internet connection with a WiFi enabled wireless router, or a WiFi usb(or pci) adapter. And actually in most semi-large cities, the broadband is far far far far far more than 10 times faster. For example, through mediacom I have 10 MB cable internet.

Zori said:
A few questions of possible options im thinking of.
1) My wired router is currently provides my brother's computer with an internet connection. My friend offered to give me a wireless router for free so if I also connect that to my computer having 2 routers now, will that in any way affected my connection or my bros(won't be connecting wireless to his comp, itll still be the wired).
2) This ones shorter :p The ethernet cable that connects from the wired router to my bros comp. If I use another one of those and plug it into one of the other jacks on my router will I be able to connect that to the Wii and get internet like that? Does the Wii have a jack for it and is it compatible?

Sry know its long im just stressing dont wanna hold this off.

#1 - It can. One will probably have to be put into a bridged mode and used as a hub. Only one device can actually act as a router (that manages your internet connection). My suggestion is this - just use the wireless router - most of them have ethernet ports and, as such, can also act as a wired router (so you can plug your bro's computer into it, too). This way, you only have one peice of equipment to fight with rather than two - which can potentially be a hassle.

#2 - The Wii can only connect via Wireless out-of-the box (It does not have an ethernet port bulit-in). Now, you can buy an accessory that converts one of th Wii's USB ports into an ethernet port. It's $30, but if you do that, you'll be able to use an ethernet cable to connect your Wii to the internet.

No stress, man - just ask, and we'll do our best to help you; we're all in this together, ya know...:smilewinkgrin:

EDIT: @ spitfire - having a wired connection will make the connection stronger than a wired one, but plugging a wireless router into a wired router doesnt affect the signal. I know that's probably not what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify in case Zori didn't catch it.

Last edited:
Actually you can bridge two routers and they will both act as a router and a bridge. Used to connect multiple LAN segments each behind it's own router.

ah, see - I didn't know that, vagrant. Most of the equipment I have is kind of old... He'd still have to mess with the settings on the routers and put them both into bridged mode, though, right? Or have they made it to where the routers do that themselves?

Nah, you still have to go to the routers menu and change it so its running in bridge mode. Assuming you have a router that will allow bridge mode. None the less it would still make more sense to just have your brother use the Wireless router, instead of bridging two routers.

I mean, even though its a wireless router it will still have around 4 ports for wired connections.

could you use your computer as the router, my comp is setup for lan gaming, could I possibly get to the internet connection through a network and USB them together?

hey

Jenova said:
If you still have Dial-up, just buy Broadband. It's 10 times faster, and in some cases (optimum online) cheaper.

Maybe you do not know... but not everyone has access to broadband, although I have no idea of how many don't. I know you weren't talking to me... anyhows, you can get broadband in my town/city, but not in the area I live.

Hmm, so yea... I hope there is some way to beable to access the internet from a 56Kbit dialup connection, as to download Virtual Console games. I do think it will be possible, but I dunno. I don't know anyone with broadband and such either, or of any wireless access points, so I dunno :\.

cyas

Last edited:
Back