How to turn off Wii system instead of staying in stand by mode

jubei74

WiiChat Member
May 16, 2007
I tried to turn off my systems using Wii remote and by press power on the system itself. It goes to yellow/orange light instead of red light. I know it is on stand by mode but why? I just don't like to have it on stand by mode when I am not using it for few days. The system get hot and I am just worry. Anyone can help me to figure out how to turn it off other than unplugging it each time? Thanks!

Hold down the power button when you go to turn it off. If you hold it for long enough it will force a shut down.

Note: This isn't any better then pulling the AC cord out, although not as risky.

Sounds like you might be worrying a little too much. It consumes a very small amount of power and as long as you are covering it with some new highly flammable material it's not hot enough to do damage to anything. My advise is to not be so paranoid.

chach said:
So is it not good for the wii to be unplugged? I come home often to find my gf has unplugged it :mad:

It's not good to unplug anything while it is still consuming electricity. Espescially something with an AC (alternating current), where the electricity can decide to shock the Wii's power source randomly when you pull it out (but there's obviously protection against this, I've only ever done this with a PS2 and it still worked).

I believe if the AC is pulled out too slow, the power point can send a random surge of power through the AC adapter which could malfunction and blow up, rendering your Wii useless.

But please, don't worry. It's not likely to happen unless you're playing a game and just decide to pull the AC out. xD Remember how your parents always said turn the power point off before pulling cords out? Well guess what, that's not a bad piece of advice ... but, I and many other entertainment junkies usually never follow that rule and all our/my equipment is perfectly fine. ^.^

If you don't want to risk being zapped, turn the point off first. I have accidently shoved my finger under the power pin as I've pulled the plug out and it DID zap me. Fortunately I was already putting force in to pulling the cord out so I wasn't stuck to the electricity.
If you happen to be touching your Wii and do this, or you're touching the Wii's power cord's pin, you could seriously hurt your Wii or AC adapter.

Back