IBM email (wii processor, etc)

fiveryanfrenzy

Wii Citizen
Nov 29, 2006
hey guys my dad forwarded me this email he got at work, he works at the IBM plant up in burlington vt where they make the computer chips, thought I would share because it is pretty cool...

Subject
Celebrate our Game System Milestone

John W. DiToro
Vice President, Burlington S/C Manufacturing
& Senior Location Executive

The highly anticipated launches of the new Sony PS 3 and Nintendo Wii game
systems represent an important milestone for IBM™s Technology Collaboration
Solutions business, especially for the IBM Burlington and East Fishkill sites.

These new systems, along with Microsoft™s Xbox 360 released late last year, represent the culmination of IBM™s triple crown win as the provider of
technology for next-generation game consoles. While each console takes a
different approach to gaming, they all are powered by microprocessors
developed, designed, manufactured and tested by IBM. Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks.

This is a significant win in a fast growing marketplace, and our gaming
technology is poised to not only transform consumer entertainment, but also
other computing applications in medicine, science and education.

Organizations and individuals across IBM Burlington have been key to the
successful launch of these new game systems, from design, to mask
manufacturing, to test and more.

To celebrate, all Burlington employees are invited to enjoy a free meal on
December 5 and 6 in the Building 969 cafeteria and on December 7 in the
Building 861 cafeteria, during regular serving hours. Managers will
provide you with a voucher for the free meal.

Also, be sure to check out the new game systems in the cafeterias during
the free meal.

My thanks to the entire Burlington team for this success and a year full of
accomplishment.

John

very cool ;) didnt know the made chips for all three of the consoles well i knew but i didnt :p if that makes any sense

I don't really see how the part in bold makes sense.

Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks.

^ No I don't :wtf:

vagrant said:
I don't really see how the part in bold makes sense.

^ No I don't :wtf:

I agree, I laughed at that part. Um no the IBM chip in my Wii isn't more powerful than any of the PCs I own.

Blips said:
Propaganda Ahoy !

huh?

xbandaidx said:
I agree, I laughed at that part. Um no the IBM chip in my Wii isn't more powerful than any of the PCs I own.

how do you know?

the reason I found this so interesting is that we don't know the details about the architecture of the chip, the folks at IBM DO.

fiveryanfrenzy said:
huh?

how do you know?

the reason I found this so interesting is that we don't know the details about the architecture of the chip, the folks at IBM DO.

I'm a CSE (computer science engineer) and to say that the wii, the 360 or even the PS3 have more computing power than my desktop PC just for the speed of the processor or the amount of memory on the console has no real grounds. Even if you're IBM's CEO. It's like comparing oranges and apples.

Gaming consoles have processors streamlined to gaming and memory dedicated to gaming. If you could (and probably you can't) for example try to run a Financial or Accountable application with moderate complexity your PS3 will probably crash 10 out of 10 times or your Wii would fry its floating point processor.

No way to compare one to another.

jledesma said:
I'm a CSE (computer science engineer) and to say that the wii, the 360 or even the PS3 have more computing power than my desktop PC just for the speed of the processor or the amount of memory on the console has no real grounds. Even if you're IBM's CEO. It's like comparing oranges and apples.

Gaming consoles have processors streamlined to gaming and memory dedicated to gaming. If you could (and probably you can't) for example try to run a Financial or Accountable application with moderate complexity your PS3 will probably crash 10 out of 10 times or your Wii would fry its floating point processor.

No way to compare one to another.

Consumers now have more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the PCs sitting on their desks.

NOTE: 'computing power'

While a car has more power than a blender, it still can't chop food.

Just as these processors may not be designed for financial software, they still have more power.

IBM designs, developes and produces a range of processors for many purposes and have for some time, I have a feeling that they know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
fiveryanfrenzy said:

NOTE: 'computing power'

While a car has more power than a blender, it still can't chop food.

Just as these processors may not be designed for financial software, they still have more power.

IBM designs, developes and produces a range of processors for many purposes and have for some time, I have a feeling that they know what they are talking about.

Im also in Computer Science.

Computing power in my experience doesnt mean anything. Thats like saying "the power of an earth quake in japan is greater than that of an asteroid orbiting the moon".

Btw propaganda :

That email was sent to all employees. There is a reason someone with a salary spent time writting it and emailing it to everyone. Think about it.

Blips said:
Im also in Computer Science.

Btw propaganda :

That email was sent to all employees. There is a reason someone with a salary spent time writting it and emailing it to everyone. Think about it.

cyn·ic (sĭn'ĭk) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
2. A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

NOTE: The email was not sent to all employees, just the ones up in Burlington, because it wasn't sent from some high salary CEO, just the vice pres. of the plant, I've been there many times, it's a big place but it's made up of teams of people who are doing a very fine job, nothing needs to be deliberately spread about for some underlying purpose. They thought it was cool like anyone else would that one of their projects was for interactive games, so they got some systems for everyone to play.

PS: I will much sooner trust the proffesionals at one of the largest technology companies in the world then some people on wiichat.com who work in 'computer science', especially since I have seen these people and been to picnics with them etc.

Last edited:
Back