if U cun reed dis click it

Brawny

Anglophobiphile
Dec 15, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Wii Online Code
5385-4035-7079-0395
suite101.com said:
There, their and they’re. This is a common point of confusion for many writers, especially they’re and there. I always remember it this way: They’re going over there to get their car. They’re is a conjunction of they and are – apostrophes (‘) always take the place of a letter that has been dropped, and in this case, it is the “a” in are. “There” is directional, as you can see with the “here” contained in the word. And “their” denotes possession, as you can see with the “heir” in the word, as a “heir” is someone who takes possession of something.

suite101.com said:
Its and it’s. Again, the apostrophe in “it’s” takes the place of something, and it is the “i” in “it is.” “It’s” stands for “it is,” as in “It’s going to be a long day.” If you can substitute “it is” for “it’s,” then you need the version with the apostrophe. If you are trying to denote possession, as in “the car needs its radio tuner set,” then you do not need the apostrophe.

suite101.com said:
Semicolons. The general rule is that semicolons are used to connect two independent clauses – in other words, two sentences that could stand on their own. For example, instead of writing, “It was cold the other day. We all wore our heavy coats.”, you could write, “It was cold the other day; we all wore our heavy coats.” Each of these sentences could stand on their own, but to use a period, it sounds choppy. By using a semicolon, it makes the writing flow better. Semicolons are generally a stylistic choice. However, to use a comma in this case would be incorrect.

You're and your. You're is a contraction of YOU ARE. Your is a possessive adjective.

Affect and effect. We'll have to go back to elementary grammar class for this one. A verb is a word which shows action or state of being. A noun is a word that names a person, place, thing, or idea/quality. Affect is a verb; it shows something AFFECTING something else. Effect is a noun. A good way to notice a noun is if THE, A, or AN is in front of it.

A run through of this is a great tool. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/interact/g_affecteffect.html

It's and its. I understand how the apostrophe may confuse some of you, but in this case it represents another missing letter: I. It's stands for it is, and its is the possessive form of it.

Last edited:
So, is this pretty much a basic grammar lesson or what? :D

FR. said:
So, is this pretty much a basic grammar lesson or what? :D

Yeah, I was promised love if I made one... :lol:

The affect/effect thing was KILLING me.

I always differentiate affect and effect by saying what's the cause if this is the effect like cause and effect. still confusing as hell though.

Just because we're smart enough to read people who are illiterate doesn't mean we are too.

stupid topic title..getting me to come here

Thank you for your post Brawny.
I found it intriguing and helpful.
I always had a little trouble with the affect/effect spelling. It was slightly confusing, but this helps.

This thread was not made for you then.

Perhaps I should have named it if u tyep liek dis click hear.

Mc_Evan said:
I hate English...and grammar and spell stuff how ever I want

Well good for you! Just know you're being judged in not so good a light.

The sad thing is some people type horribly on purpose.

and some people dont read the horribly typed dribble on purpose. Me, for instance.

ok, my english and grammar isnt perfect but at least I make the effort.

seriously how do you kids think it will affect your chances of getting a job NOT flipping burgers? I'm in the position of being able to employ people and if the forms came in written like some of the crap on here I wouldnt even bother reading them, they'd be straight in the bin.

The ability to spell simple words and construct a basic sentence is such an elementary skill, it's just plain rude to not at least try.

ps. Brawny I love you.

Cool, I am back in school. :lol:
Seriously, it is a very nice class Brawny. You should think about becoming a teacher. :lol:

Back