Stop..Think..Post

Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
In this thread I'll be going over what stop..think..post is and basic grammar rules. So sit back and enjoy.

stp.jpg

Stop.. Think.. Post

What Is Stop..Think..Post?

Stop..Think..Post is a way of simply improving your posting. Below are the steps which are recommended on taking before posting your reply to any topic.

Stop

Stop.. take time to read over previous posts made in the thread. Make sure what you are posting relates to the topic.

Think

Think.. Take some time to look over your post. Make sure there are no grammatical errors. If unsure, use the spell check feature or look up the word you have incorrectly spelled on www.dictionary.com.

Also try to avoid posting in "L337 Speak". "L337 Speak" is defined as posting your replies using numbers to replace letters.

Finally take some time to make sure you are not insulting others in your post. This can be considered flaming and or trolling depending on the situation. Usually posts that contain rude comments and or insult other members are deleted by moderators and the user will usually end up banned or he/she will receive a warning.

Once you have carefully looked over your post to make sure there are no grammatical errors and or rude/insulting comments feel free to click on the "Post Reply" button.

Now onto the grammar section of this thread..

Erik's Grammar Guide

Of / Have: I would have done that if I had the opportunity / Of what colour is your house?

The place where people get mixed up is when "have" is contracted into "'ve"; as in "should've", "could've", and "would've". "Have" functions as an auxiliary verb, "of" is not a verb and can't be used in place of "have".

It's / Its: It's a dog, can't you see that? / Its features include feathers and wings, it's obviously a bird.

Its is the possessive form of "it", just like "his" is the possessive form is "he". "It's" is a contraction of "it is".

Whose / Who's: Whose dog is this? / Who's that? I can't tell from here.

"Whose" is the possessive form of "who", whereas "who's" is a contraction of "who is".

Your / You're: You're a good person. / Your shoe is untied.

"You're" is a contraction of "you are" whilst "your" is the possessive form of "you".

Than / Then: I had some coffee and then a bagel. / Red is better than blue.

"Than" is a grammatical participle and preposition used to compare two things. "Then" is an adverb or noun, indicating the time in which a series of events took place

There / They're / Their: The store is over there. / They're good people. / They've lost their minds.

"There" indicates a place, "they're" is a contraction of "they are", and "their" is the possessive form of "they".

There's, where's, etc.: There's a car in the street

The problem here is that people use "there's" even when the subject is plural. If there were multiple cars, you should say "there are cars" instead of "there's cars".

Accept / Except: I accept your apology. / All except for the chief were present.

"To accept" is to agree, take in, or receive. "Except" is a preposition which means "apart from", but is also rarely used as a verb, meaning "leave out".

Affect / Effect: The rain affects my sight. / The bomb effects the wall's collapse.

"To affect" is to influence, an "effect" is a result of something.

Ironic / Sarcastic: It's ironic that you would say a chocolate teapot is useful. / His tone was so overcome with sarcasm that he hurt the child's feelings.

Irony is defined as using words to convey something other than, and especially the opposite of, their literal meanings.
Lay / Lie: I lay the napkin on the table. / I lie in bed.

"To lay" is a transitive verb, which means it must take a direct object. "To lie" is an intransitive verb, which means it cannot take a direct object and it means "to recline". If you're unsure which you should use, replace it with "recline" and see if it would make sense.

The major reason people get confused about these verbs are their conjugations:

To lay: I lay / I laid / I have laid / I am laying.

To lie: I lie / I lay / I have lain / I am lying.

Misspellings:

Congrads / Congradulations: This should be "congrats" / "congratulations".

Alot: "A" and "lot" are two separate words.

Seperate: Should be "separate", with an 'a' after the 'p'.

Phrases / Expressions

I could care less: This should be "I couldn't care less".

Credit for the guide goes to `Ntherik.

If you would like me to add on anything please let me know.

WHo cares if some people have the odd erorr in there text
Most people will know what you mean

Still at times it can be kind of annoying when people constantly spell words incorrectly.

So you hate all dislexics then

well people if u cant spell then get the heck of the computer.!!! lol jk

For some reason I believed the English language grammar structure was more....

Lengthy.

Obviously is but Erik was covering the basics of what he tends to see people making mistakes with. Like I said above if you want I can add on to the list.

I actually think this is a good idea. Maybe not for the grammer lesson...but for people posting things that can be hurtful and demeaning to other members you dig? Although literacy is a needed thing, I just don't think people are going to care on the internet. I find myself reading over my posts to make sure I spelled things right and everything looks good once in a while.

Wow this site is getting pretty hardcore. I thought I was done school for the next 4 months, not continuing. Do we have a Math 101 as well ?

Edit: Just a question. Is it an actual rule for people to have to spell properly and have proper grammar? Don't you think you are going a little overboard so to speak by ragging on everyone for not spelling everything properly. I notice people making spelling mistakes just as much as anyone else. It's not hard to do, but if you don't like it, don't read it!

"jus a question ..is it n' actual rule 4 ppl 2 have 2 spell properly n' hav proper grammer ..dont u think u r going a littl eoverboard so to speak by raggin on every one 4 not spellin everything properly ...i notice pppl making spelling mistakes just as much as any1 else..its not hard 2 do ..but if u dont like it..dont read it!"

Last edited:
Back