Insomniacs assemble!!

Basics of machines
machines only do what they are built to do nothing more
No matter how complex a machine is, it cannot do anything outside of its programming
computers also can never think
they can simply gather information and run it through a sequence.

The main difference is that we can define the information we receive
Also its about perception
Humans can perceive

Last edited:
I figured as much, I could'a swore we've talked 'bout AiB before.

Not necessarily, no. Some of the ol' Brawlers did move onto the greener pasture that AiB is, though.

Basics of machines
machines only do what they are built to do nothing more
No matter how complex a machine is, it cannot do anything outside of its programming
computers also can never think
they can simply gather information and run it through a sequence.

The main difference is that we can define the information we receive
Also its about perception
Humans can perceive

And if we figure out how to program consciousness and the ability to perceive? I'm not sayin' it's possible, but it's also hard to say it's impossible IMO. Once we figure out 'n understand the entirety of the brain, perhaps we could engineer a human-like being out of nothin' but mechanics and engineering, the only difference being our flesh.

I figured as much, I could'a swore we've talked 'bout AiB before.

Not necessarily, no. Some of the ol' Brawlers did move onto the greener pasture that AiB is, though.

Didn't we do it before I vanished for the two years after everyone left in 2010? I don't think I actually moved there, I used to do all these talks about loyalty when tbh today I would think second about putting my loyalty into something so futile such as a a Call of Duty clan! Especially after devoting so much into said clan. I did find out that its Mates > Clan members or people you know over the internet. Internet friends are cool but...you will probably never meet them. It's better to enjoy life in person with people you know.

It's hard for me to admit that...being someone who spends a lot of his time on the internet speaking to people i'll never meet.

Internet friends are cool but...you will probably never meet them. It's better to enjoy life in person with people you know.

I'mma go off on a tangent and say, no, that's a bullshit sentiment that needs to gtfo of the common opinion.

Obviously friends IRL are much more fun to have, and that's not the issue I have with such statements. It's more of the fact that IRL friends are more important as a result. By such logic, if your best friend was forced to move away to the other side of the US, he is now your worst friend. Location doesn't mean garbage these days, 'sides from convenience. Believing all friends found among the web are nothin' but second rate means the person with said beliefs might as well avoid forums, chat rooms, etc. all together 'n stick to the people they know in the flesh since they're clearly wasting their time otherwise.

And if we figure out how to program consciousness and the ability to perceive? I'm not sayin' it's possible, but it's also hard to say it's impossible IMO. Once we figure out 'n understand the entirety of the brain, perhaps we could engineer a human-like being out of nothin' but mechanics and engineering, the only difference being our flesh.
Don't forget programming

If I go any further on the topic, it would be more about philosophy rather than "science."

Also we can keep in mind that we could be programed.
But that cannot explain the ability for us to choose yes or no. Weighing the options and choosing one even if it is illogical is something that computer cannot do. The closest they can get is through emulation. And they need something to emulate. So what did we emulate if we were programed? and that question can go on.
Which is also why "science" cannot explain everything.

To be honest, my internet friends are more important than most of my real life friends. ^^;
How do you know that your computer friends are not a computer emulation?
For all you guys know I could be a computer program 0.o

Well, once we change from scientific to philosophical, this topic gets kind'a null 'n voided since there's no way we'd be able to find a conclusive answer through philosophy. Which was my point really, we can't know whether or not it's impossible just yet.

That would certainly work in my favor for this whole "willpower programmed" discussion. :lol:

I'mma go off on a tangent and say, no, that's a bullshit sentiment that needs to gtfo of the common opinion.

Obviously friends IRL are much more fun to have, and that's not the issue I have with such statements. It's more of the fact that IRL friends are more important as a result. By such logic, if your best friend was forced to move away to the other side of the US, he is now your worst friend. Location doesn't mean garbage these days, 'sides from convenience. Believing all friends found among the web are nothin' but second rate means the person with said beliefs might as well avoid forums, chat rooms, etc. all together 'n stick to the people they know in the flesh since they're clearly wasting their time otherwise.

You've touched me with this one...this is actually true. There's a friend in the other side of Glasgow that I don't see anymore and I stay intact via Skype and we're still good friends. Heck he's been my best friend since we were like 7. It's been at least ten years we've known each other and if it hasn't been then ten years is coming up and very quickly.

[strike]After watching The Matrix and Inception I dunno if my real life friends are real either.[/strike]

Oh, I ended up just getting a Wii from GameStop. Playing Xenoblade now. ^_^

You've touched me with this one...this is actually true. There's a friend in the other side of Glasgow that I don't see anymore and I stay intact via Skype and we're still good friends. Heck he's been my best friend since we were like 7. It's been at least ten years we've known each other and if it hasn't been then ten years is coming up and very quickly.

Aye, that's the perfect example of what I was goin' for. I've got a best friend who once lived in the same state and is currently half way around the world, 'n more recently, in a coffin. Kept in touch with 'em 'till his last days, and I never had any intention of doin' otherwise. Good friends are friends forever.

/corny friendship speech?

Anyone who tries to go on an MLP tangent after this tangent of mine, is receiving a ban. I kid y'all not.

Last edited:
Aye, that's the perfect example of what I was goin' for. I've got a best friend who once lived in the same state and is currently half way around the world, 'n more recently, in a coffin. Kept in touch with 'em 'till his last days, and I never had any intention of doin' otherwise. Good friends are friend forever.

/corny friendship speech?

Anyone who tries to go on an MLP tangent after this tangent of mine, is receiving a ban. I kid y'all not.

Nae problem Karpchamp. Friendship is something that can't really be explained.

Well, once we change from scientific to philosophical, this topic gets kind'a null 'n voided since there's no way we'd be able to find a conclusive answer through philosophy. Which was my point really, we can't know whether or not it's impossible just yet.
You don't give philosophy enough credit CK. Science is not everything. You need both to understand the world. With just science we would know everything. Philosophy teaches us how to use the knowledge gleaned and how we are able to perceive it in the first place.
Pure science is information. Philosophy is the filter. Philosophy is also relative which is why there are a lot of problems with how people filter and discern knowledge.

The ability to discern needs to be dissected by philosophy

That would certainly work in my favor for this whole "willpower programmed" discussion. :lol:
that would make me a crude emulation

Back