Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiPlaya

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wii Online Code
3415-0647-7515-5310
i am greatly looking foreward to the online gaming on the wii, and my wii is currently connected to the internet by a DS Wifi thing...but i dont know if that will be fast enough to experience good online gaming without significant lagging. i was just wondering what exactly is the speed of the wifi connector and how badly it would affect my online gaming experience.

i also wanted to know what was a good, average speed for gaming that wouldnt cost too much (i would have to go get the wireless adapters for the other 4 computers in my house)

thx

as of right now they do not have online gaming with the wii. I think the first game is coming out soon. Your online speed depends on what type connection you have coming into your house. Check and post the connection plan you have

Do not get a D-link it screws up when connected to the Wii and DS it makes everything go slow including other computers on the network.

dcofty said:
as of right now they do not have online gaming with the wii. I think the first game is coming out soon. Your online speed depends on what type connection you have coming into your house. Check and post the connection plan you have

i got cable internet

Major Tom said:
Do not get a D-link it screws up when connected to the Wii and DS it makes everything go slow including other computers on the network.
Found that out the hard way... random disconects and everything. I like my neighbor's connection WAY better than what I had w/my compy... but still. I WANT MY COMPY BACK!

The my router is the NetGear Rangemax Wireless MIMO Router it shot my speed from 50kbs to 700kbs. I never lag on my DS, Wii, or 360. It is sweet. Its 79.99 at bestbuy. I was told the best one is the Rangemax Next Draft-N router its the same company and its 6x times faster than the MIMO. Its 129.99 at bestbuy.

I have the USB connector too, and I use it all the time on my DS. It has never lagged on me, and I love it. The problem is I don't know if it will work as well on the wii as it does on the DS.

ronin89 said:
I have the USB connector too, and I use it all the time on my DS. It has never lagged on me, and I love it. The problem is I don't know if it will work as well on the wii as it does on the DS.

thats exactly what i was thinking...but i doubt that it would be alright. its perfectly fine for surfing but online play is a completly different thing...and i just dont know about that small device doing the job

the only brands that i see on bestbuy canada are Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, and Trendnet.

d-link and linksys seem to have the biggest variety of speeds and prices but since d-link is junk...i wonder about linksys

anyone had any of these brands work well for them?

I don't see why you want a router now, wait until you get an online game and then try-out ur connector.us If you have cable it should be no problem. I bought the connector recently just for online play, so it better be no prob ;-)

WiiPlaya said:
the only brands that i see on bestbuy canada are Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, and Trendnet.

d-link and linksys seem to have the biggest variety of speeds and prices but since d-link is junk...i wonder about linksys

anyone had any of these brands work well for them?

You do realize that a router's "speed" is the network speed, not your internet speed. You can have a router capable of 108mbps throughput, but that means it is capable of transfering 108mbps ACROSS THE NETWORK. Your internet connection is going to be the same speed no matter what medium you find.

so then it would be smart to get a router that has the speed capability of my internet? how could i find out how many mbps my internet is?

Lag is not related to the speed of your internet connection but rather the time it takes the information to get from your wii to the server hosting the game and back again. So if you want to have lagless games you make sure you use servers with very low ping responce times.

Raz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back