Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPod compatibility

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by pepsifreak505, Nov 8, 2006.

1. pepsifreak505

pepsifreak505 WiiChat Member

Will I be able to plug my iPod and manage the music on the Wii by plugging it into 1 of the 2 USB ports? Also, what are some other things you could plug into the USB ports???

2. Jenova

Jenova Final Distance

Wii Friend Code: 8507-9443-5099-4224
    8507-9443-5099-4224
    ...The Wii isn't a computer... I don't think it will be able to read the iPod's data...

3. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    keyboard and mouse maybe?

4. Rift

Rift WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7509-5934-6367-2803
    7509-5934-6367-2803
    People need to remember that it takes loads and loads of software for a computer to be able to identify USB components and the Wii most likely doesn't have much of that... I've heard talk of keyboards and mouse, ipods, printers on another forum, and a few other things. While some may be supported much is mostly going to have to be patched at a later date with connect24. and even then much may never be supported by it. I may be wrong but I've yet to read much about its usb suuport and what exactly they can do other than internet connection... and more importantly Wii isn't a media center console like the PS3 and 360... I bought a cumputer to handle my music and media, I'd be suprised if a single picture finds it's way onto my Wii to waste already precious space on the memory... I'm bying a game console to play games.

5. vagrant

vagrant ₪ ۩ ₪

Wii Friend Code: 8573-5327-9660-0097
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    actually most USB devices now are plug & play, meaning the driver information is on them, themselves. But ya, as far as an Ipod goes, you need a lot of other software crap. There would have to actually have something built into the wii's firmware to play the files.

And like rift said. I have a computer if I want a computer. I buy a game console for games.

6. Rift

Rift WiiChat Member

7509-5934-6367-2803
    Right the drivers are there but the computer also has tons of software to support those drivers and that's what I was refering to

7. Equis

Equis WII-19-VI

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry negativo! its not possible!

8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Unofficial WiiChat Helper

Wii Friend Code: 7114-5214-3386-2022
    7114-5214-3386-2022
    i would think that a keyboard would be supported theres not much need for a mouse though. Possible External media of some sort like nintendo stated in the past

9. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Pondering Member

Wii Friend Code: 4054-9249-4284-3802
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Well actually the Xbox 360 accepts iPods without any downloading of firmware or software; it just works is what I've heard.

Those saying Wii is not a computer, well is really is pretty close to being one, maybe comparable to a slow Mac Mini. I'm guessing someone will make a Linux distro specifically for Wii and then we'll see things like text editors and things like that. Also, since the iPod is not putting anything onto the Wii when connected, but instead would have the music played straight from the iPod, then Wii doesn't really need to be a media center-level system.

10. Fierce Deity

Fierce Deity Hero of Wind

i know that people like to listen to music on their tvs but come on. this is kind of useless you know. i mean if you can already manage your songs on your mac or pc why do you need to manage it on the Wii. that would be cool, but deffinatly un-needed.

sorry if that came off as mean or anything. hhaha

11. Fierce Deity

double post [damn you wireless internet]

12. pizzaluvr

pizzaluvr world crown chimpokomastr

umm... maybe people want to listen to music while playing, htey have said that you can use external hdds

13. Rift

Rift WiiChat Member

7509-5934-6367-2803
    .....Wii isn't a multi-task system I'm sure. If you are gaming that's all you are doing the processors for the Wii aren't that powerful and the ram is in short supply already, I wouldn't hope for adding any more of a load on the system by shoving out a useless stream of music while you play when you can just turn on your computer or radio.............

or better yet don't ruin the sound of the game buy listening to music... that's like listening to a radio while watching TV...

14. Fierce Deity

oooo burn!

15. avatar2007

hey don't downplay the system, I know that most people like to listen to music while playing. and if you do have a ipod you might need firmware, but then again your not transfering music therefore you are using the device itself. And furthermore ther are other mp3 players out there that is not so complicated Sandisk e200.

16. Equis

Equis WII-19-VI

damn easy ipod comes with earpiece....just put them on and mute the tv while you play...or connent 2 computer speakers near the tv and connect ur ipod to that....

i dnt see the poin of havin and mp3 connected to it when i have a pc in the same room, same reason why it dont have a dvd palyer because everyone owns one already! very pointless and just makes the price go up!

17. Shadow_hunter46

Shadow_hunter46 WiiChat Member

you can use your ipod as a hardrive for the wii if you want. it will act like an sd card

18. Homesrfan

Homesrfan ftw

Can you actually use yoru iPod as an HD? Because if you can I'll probably be doing that. :lol:

19. registerednerd

registerednerd Wii online moderator

Actually, Plug&Play devices only have the driver information on the device, not the driver itself. P&P just guarantees that you get the right driver.

20. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Pondering Member

Wii Friend Code: 4054-9249-4284-3802
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    While that may and probably will happen, it's not yet confirmed.

The reason why people, including me want this options is not because we're stupid. Think about it a bit harder. The Xbox and especially the Xbox 360 allow you to put music on their hard drives as well as external storage devices, including the iPod. When you go into a game that has the custom soundtracks option, it doesn't just play your music really loud so that you can't hear the game's original music and sound effects, it plays your music instead of the game's original music. This allows you to play the game with music you choose and still hear the game's sound effects, voice acting, etc. If you just hook your iPod up to external speakers, then you can't hear mission briefings in the game, nor car tires screeching as easily and the game's original music many times can't be turned down or off, so it gets all garbled.

If anyone here has ever played GTA (I don't care whether you like the game or not) it allows you to use your own music, which is just awesome because whenever you jack a car, your music starts up like it's a radio station!

Oh and for those saying Wii is not that powerful, give me a break. Playing small .mp3 files during a game is nothing. I really get sick of this "purist" stuff about videogame systems should only play videogames. This is usually said by people who've never owned an Xbox or PS2 before and it's so lame. Yes, obviously it's main focus should be videogames, but with the features the Xbox and PS3 have, Wii should be competitive and why not? The more features, the better.

#20 NateTheGreat, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2006