iPod compatibility

pepsifreak505

WiiChat Member
Nov 4, 2006
Will I be able to plug my iPod and manage the music on the Wii by plugging it into 1 of the 2 USB ports? Also, what are some other things you could plug into the USB ports???

pepsifreak505 said:
Will I be able to plug my iPod and manage the music on the Wii by plugging it into 1 of the 2 USB ports? Also, what are some other things you could plug into the USB ports???

...The Wii isn't a computer... I don't think it will be able to read the iPod's data...

pepsifreak505 said:

keyboard and mouse maybe?

People need to remember that it takes loads and loads of software for a computer to be able to identify USB components and the Wii most likely doesn't have much of that... I've heard talk of keyboards and mouse, ipods, printers on another forum, and a few other things. While some may be supported much is mostly going to have to be patched at a later date with connect24. and even then much may never be supported by it. I may be wrong but I've yet to read much about its usb suuport and what exactly they can do other than internet connection... and more importantly Wii isn't a media center console like the PS3 and 360... I bought a cumputer to handle my music and media, I'd be suprised if a single picture finds it's way onto my Wii to waste already precious space on the memory... I'm bying a game console to play games.

actually most USB devices now are plug & play, meaning the driver information is on them, themselves. But ya, as far as an Ipod goes, you need a lot of other software crap. There would have to actually have something built into the wii's firmware to play the files.

And like rift said. I have a computer if I want a computer. I buy a game console for games.

Right the drivers are there but the computer also has tons of software to support those drivers and that's what I was refering to

i would think that a keyboard would be supported theres not much need for a mouse though. Possible External media of some sort like nintendo stated in the past

vagrant said:
actually most USB devices now are plug & play, meaning the driver information is on them, themselves. But ya, as far as an Ipod goes, you need a lot of other software crap. There would have to actually have something built into the wii's firmware to play the files.

And like rift said. I have a computer if I want a computer. I buy a game console for games.
Well actually the Xbox 360 accepts iPods without any downloading of firmware or software; it just works is what I've heard.

Those saying Wii is not a computer, well is really is pretty close to being one, maybe comparable to a slow Mac Mini. I'm guessing someone will make a Linux distro specifically for Wii and then we'll see things like text editors and things like that. Also, since the iPod is not putting anything onto the Wii when connected, but instead would have the music played straight from the iPod, then Wii doesn't really need to be a media center-level system.

i know that people like to listen to music on their tvs but come on. this is kind of useless you know. i mean if you can already manage your songs on your mac or pc why do you need to manage it on the Wii. that would be cool, but deffinatly un-needed.

sorry if that came off as mean or anything. hhaha

.....Wii isn't a multi-task system I'm sure. If you are gaming that's all you are doing the processors for the Wii aren't that powerful and the ram is in short supply already, I wouldn't hope for adding any more of a load on the system by shoving out a useless stream of music while you play when you can just turn on your computer or radio.............

or better yet don't ruin the sound of the game buy listening to music... that's like listening to a radio while watching TV...

hey don't downplay the system, I know that most people like to listen to music while playing. and if you do have a ipod you might need firmware, but then again your not transfering music therefore you are using the device itself. And furthermore ther are other mp3 players out there that is not so complicated Sandisk e200.

Back