iPod compatibility

damn easy ipod comes with earpiece....just put them on and mute the tv while you play...or connent 2 computer speakers near the tv and connect ur ipod to that....

i dnt see the poin of havin and mp3 connected to it when i have a pc in the same room, same reason why it dont have a dvd palyer because everyone owns one already! very pointless and just makes the price go up!

vagrant said:
actually most USB devices now are plug & play, meaning the driver information is on them, themselves. But ya, as far as an Ipod goes, you need a lot of other software crap. There would have to actually have something built into the wii's firmware to play the files.

And like rift said. I have a computer if I want a computer. I buy a game console for games.
Actually, Plug&Play devices only have the driver information on the device, not the driver itself. P&P just guarantees that you get the right driver.

Homesrfan said:
Can you actually use yoru iPod as an HD? Because if you can I'll probably be doing that. :lol:
While that may and probably will happen, it's not yet confirmed.

Equis said:
damn easy ipod comes with earpiece....just put them on and mute the tv while you play...or connent 2 computer speakers near the tv and connect ur ipod to that....

i dnt see the poin of havin and mp3 connected to it when i have a pc in the same room, same reason why it dont have a dvd palyer because everyone owns one already! very pointless and just makes the price go up!
The reason why people, including me want this options is not because we're stupid. Think about it a bit harder. The Xbox and especially the Xbox 360 allow you to put music on their hard drives as well as external storage devices, including the iPod. When you go into a game that has the custom soundtracks option, it doesn't just play your music really loud so that you can't hear the game's original music and sound effects, it plays your music instead of the game's original music. This allows you to play the game with music you choose and still hear the game's sound effects, voice acting, etc. If you just hook your iPod up to external speakers, then you can't hear mission briefings in the game, nor car tires screeching as easily and the game's original music many times can't be turned down or off, so it gets all garbled.

If anyone here has ever played GTA (I don't care whether you like the game or not) it allows you to use your own music, which is just awesome because whenever you jack a car, your music starts up like it's a radio station!

Oh and for those saying Wii is not that powerful, give me a break. Playing small .mp3 files during a game is nothing. I really get sick of this "purist" stuff about videogame systems should only play videogames. This is usually said by people who've never owned an Xbox or PS2 before and it's so lame. Yes, obviously it's main focus should be videogames, but with the features the Xbox and PS3 have, Wii should be competitive and why not? The more features, the better.

Last edited:
NateTheGreat said:
Oh and for those saying Wii is not that powerful, give me a break. Playing small .mp3 files during a game is nothing. I really get sick of this "purist" stuff about videogame systems should only play videogames. This is usually said by people who've never owned an Xbox or PS2 before and it's so lame.

I own both systems, and infact like both, and both I haven't and never will use either for a purpose that isn't gaming. I'm not saying I won't use the Wii's features the channels offer promise, but my pictures will never be on there, nor am I worried about whether or not I'll be able to ruin a games soundtrack by adding my own. Most games since NES times have spent just as much time working on the soundtrack of a game as the graphics and engine. There is a reason for that, immersion into the game, and simple hints at changes in the game to alert you. Yeah sure you can import your own in some games but what do you really need to hear in a game like GTA other than hookers shouting and police sirens( never did like those games much). It'll be nice to turn on the tube and check the weather, hopefully check out Wiichat on the Wii, that might be funny. but I have a computer for media purposes.
The "purist" thing comes from gaming being lost in all the features of a console, even nintendo has slipped a bit into that. But I'm not complaining about that itself, I complain about people whining because they didn't go far enough into features crammed into the Wii like hooking an Ipod up to it or it not playing DVD's.

Back