Is buying a new TV really worth it?

i have a 60 inch dlp tv and it is nice, its not as deep as u think, about 1 and a half feet deep. it takes up quite a lot of space but costs a lot less than a lcd tv. mine can go up to 720p but about every 2 and half years i have to replace the lamp in the tv cuz it burns out. how do projections work? is it worth it if it displays 480p but at like 120 inchs?

ciper said:
If you read the forums dedicated to retro gaming or home theater you will see many people unhappy with their HD sets because the older game consoles look pixelated. Usually it is a combination of problems - first the older consoles are low resolution (240 for systems prior to the PS) and the upconversion built into lesser expensive sets is not very good. Second because CRTs have built in antialiasing that an LCD/Plasma cannot recreate.
But would an LCD HDTV be a step down in those particular games from a standard definition CRT? Right now I have a 19 inch CRT, and even if Wii games and older games aren't going to look any better, I think the LCD might still be worth it for better looking 360 games. However, if it's going to make Wii games look worse than they do on my current set, I'll probably wait until I can afford something better than an LCD...

gingerkid said:
i have a 60 inch dlp tv and it is nice, its not as deep as u think, about 1 and a half feet deep. it takes up quite a lot of space but costs a lot less than a lcd tv. mine can go up to 720p but about every 2 and half years i have to replace the lamp in the tv cuz it burns out. how do projections work? is it worth it if it displays 480p but at like 120 inchs?
120" at 480p would look like complete ****....

Wade said:
But would an LCD HDTV be a step down in those particular games from a standard definition CRT? Right now I have a 19 inch CRT, and even if Wii games and older games aren't going to look any better, I think the LCD might still be worth it for better looking 360 games. However, if it's going to make Wii games look worse than they do on my current set, I'll probably wait until I can afford something better than an LCD...
Lets say you had a Nintendo 64 connected to a 19 inch crt and a 19 inch LCD of equal quality. The CRT would look better. The LCD/Plasma has a native resolution and in order to get the low resolution video game to fit the entire screen it stretches the image. Inexpensive sets perform no processing of the image so it looks like trash when stretched.

Since the 360 and PS3 can output higher resolutions they can look better on an HD LCD but only if the internal resolution of the game is high.

On newer systems the games have an internal resolution and the resolution output by the system is customizable just like your computer. For example if you have a jpeg that is 640 by 480 stretched to full screen and your monitor is at 1600x1200 it won't make the picture look sharper.

Honestly if you have to buy your tv with a credit card, you probably shouldnt be buying it. Using someone elses money to buy things means you cant afford it. Save your cash and get a better deal on it.

Imo I wouldnt worry about the whole 1080p crap. Get something that displays in 720p and you will be fine. Most games do not support 1080p, so you are wasting your money unless you are a big movie watcher. I play games at 720p and watch movies at 1080i and they both look incredible. I will be buying a 720p projector for the basement of my new house, and keeping my samsung upstairs for regular tv. btw i bought my 46" samsung projection tv from sams blub for less than $700.

Imo for gaming you should go with a nice dlp set. Thats if you dont have some inner desire to hang a tv on your wall. I always hear people say dlp is the best for gaming. Samsung makes some damn good tv's, and some really nice dlp's. I drool everytime I walk into sams club.

Last edited:
I want to use the card cause I have it and never had a real use for it. I got a Mini DV camcorder for a heck of a deal cause it was missing the power supply which I found for incredibly cheap too.

Plus, I don't want to come out of pocket right away for something I don't really need.

Anyways, I made my decision. I'm going to just get some of the actual Sony component cables (not the Asid's or mad catz, etc. etc.) and just continue using the TV I already have. My TV is only 2 years old. I think I'll just wait until it craps out or I move into a bigger place and I can buy something really nice and big.

Don't worry about it man, wait until about 2010 when 42" LCD's are only 100-200 bucks, right now they are $700 so it isn't long coming.

Besides, the good ol' CRT's have some life left in them, they are suppose to last awhile. Especially if it is only 2 years old.

GypsyKid said:
I want to use the card cause I have it and never had a real use for it. I got a Mini DV camcorder for a heck of a deal cause it was missing the power supply which I found for incredibly cheap too.

Plus, I don't want to come out of pocket right away for something I don't really need.

Anyways, I made my decision. I'm going to just get some of the actual Sony component cables (not the Asid's or mad catz, etc. etc.) and just continue using the TV I already have. My TV is only 2 years old. I think I'll just wait until it craps out or I move into a bigger place and I can buy something really nice and big.

If you have no real use for it, then cut it up! Credit cards are the worst thing you can own. I can walk into a store and get a better deal on almost anything waving cash in my hand, then you will ever get with that piece of plastic. Plus I dont pay any interest on cash :yesnod:

Component cables are all the same. Dont fall for the more expensive cables are better crap. They all display the same picture. Gamestop had component cables for the ps2 for $12 and they work perfect on the ps3 fyi.

billm00666 said:
If you have no real use for it, then cut it up! Credit cards are the worst thing you can own. I can walk into a store and get a better deal on almost anything waving cash in my hand, then you will ever get with that piece of plastic. Plus I dont pay any interest on cash :yesnod:
You are wrong. With the right combination of credit cards you can pay less for everything you buy. I currently get 5% off for gas, food, drugs, groceries. Combine an E-Loan 5.25% savings account with a no interest on balance transfers credit card and I am actually MAKING MONEY from my debt.

does HDMI cable work for like 720p-1080i? What does hdmi actually do? thats the type of tv (round 35-40") im getting sometime for my small small bedroom (mainly 4 ps3).

Two things to consider. First make sure whatever you buy can actually fit into your room, house, car, ect. Second make sure it can play lower resolution stuff. Some HDTVs can't handle 720x480, and trust me that will make a lot of your stuff look horrible on the TV. You hath been warned!

sagema said:
Some HDTVs can't handle 720x480, and trust me that will make a lot of your stuff look horrible on the TV.
This is right. I'd only change the first word from "some" to "most"

720x480 is only on DVD. Most game systems are even lower horizontal resolution

Last edited:
I bought some ASid tech component cables for the PS3 and the picture was not clear. It was strange. The background came out clear, but things like people's faces etc. whatever was the focus of the shot came out a bit fuzzy. It was hard to look at. This was both for movies and games. I did some research and found out that there were others that experienced the same problems.

I went out and bought the sony component cables and my picture is very very clear now. Quite a bit of difference between the two cables.

Cables are important. They can help make or break your set-up whether it's audio or video. Don't believe me? Try getting some cheap dollar store speaker wire to use with your surround or high end stereo system. You will think your set-up is complete junk. Now go try some high end cables and the difference is night and day with the clarity and definition of your sound.

Back