Is liking pokemon and anime cool

Not into Pokemon games/anime/cards anymore (worth the experience, though, except for that amazing waste of money on Pokemon cards)...

...but the Pokemon in Smash Bros. will always be cool in my eyes. =P

... Then you may be missing out, Bio. Pokemon these days is perfect for any Brawl "tournyfag" that enjoys RPGs.. oh the competitive battling goodness. Pokemon metagame > anything else.

Now, normally I'd give a good input on the thread like most everyone else, but.. it's a bit late for that. >.>; Either way, glad things were resolved, Chida.

Before this thread dies I just wanted to mention that just a couple of months ago I saw every single episode in the first season, and from what I saw the anime wasn't as childish as you'd think...specially considering James dressing like a woman every now and then. There were also several jokes I was only able to understand now and not as a kid.

Also, in college I've noticed that some of the really cool and sociable people have some weird interest everyone knows about and that makes them even more fun and likeable. Kind of shows character when you tells everyone your interests without being ashamed.
Personally, I'm an outspoken videogame fan, and my close friends are quite aware that I can name all pokemon and almost all random trivia about nintendo games. I've also openly liked animal crossing, powerpuff girls, and several things anyone would normally be ashamed of.

So in that sense, liking pokemon can make you cool. And as far as I've seen, everyone born since the 90s and late 80s seems to have at least a scrap of pokemon knowledge, even if it's just pikachu.

Last edited:
... Then you may be missing out, Bio. Pokemon these days is perfect for any Brawl "tournyfag" that enjoys RPGs.. oh the competitive battling goodness.

I like, but I'm actually not an enthusiast for, the tourney scene or RPG scene, which is probably why I stopped playing Pokemon games. And besides, I'm just fine focusing on only one or two competitive games.

Pokemon metagame > anything else.

I never would have guessed, but I can see how it's possible.

Before this thread dies I just wanted to mention that just a couple of months ago I saw every single episode in the first season, and from what I saw the anime wasn't as childish as you'd think...specially considering James dressing like a woman every now and then. There were also several jokes I was only able to understand now and not as a kid.

Least we forget the bit with Jessie in a bikini

There are shows that kids can see on stage that have blokes dressed as females
Its kinda the done thing to take kids to see these shows
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime
And the blokes dressed as females
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime_dame

Almost every kid in the UK has to of seen a panto at one point
(maybe the ones that have gone wrong havent seen one)

Then theres those ones down the village.....................................

Pokémon "metagame"? Is that where you get real animals to fight and imprison them in small orbs afterwards? Because I think there are laws against that.

No thats Pokemon real life

I nearly captured a doggy the other day but it kept bringing the ball back to me

Pokémon "metagame"? Is that where you get real animals to fight and imprison them in small orbs afterwards? Because I think there are laws against that.

A metagame is a game within a game that is usually a build up to the actual game. It's different from the actual gameplay and takes skill of its own. Pokemon's metagame is a grindfest of walking around in circles in grass, capturing and killing pokemon.

A metagame is a game within a game that is usually a build up to the actual game. It's different from the actual gameplay and takes skill of its own. Pokemon's metagame is a grindfest of walking around in circles in grass, capturing and killing pokemon.

Sovieto is correct on the definition of metagame, to a good extent. The quote in bold, though, ... just no.

The metagame in pokemon is a competitive circuit just like Brawl. You have tiers for every single pokemon, and you have to choose only a select few to use in a battle, in other words, your "mains". With 493 unique choices, things get complicated.

The pokemon metagame takes much more time than training in Brawl though. Whether or not you know pokemon lay eggs, this is necesarry in order to get a "good" pokemon. Usually takes a few days in order to get multiple hidden numbers and game mechanics correct(sort of like how Brawl doesn't tell the players straight out that chain grabs exist, and other hidden mechanics as well). I'd explain it completely, but.. it's too complicated for a non-pokemon enthusiest to understand.

Next, you start affecting another hidden game mechanic to increase your stats, once the pokemon hatches by killing pokemon of a certain species, which usually takes a few hours - although there are ways to speed it up.

Before you even create a pokemon egg, you need to figure out what moveset a pokemon will use. The metagame in pokemon is highly established and by far quite complicated, a pokemon's move can be utterly useless(like a ton of Captain Falcon's moves, lol), or game breaking(like a few of Meta Knight's moves, i.e. his D-smash). Depending on what other player's are commonly using in battle and what moves those pokemon are using, you need to predict what common strategies will show up in battle and how to counter them. Sort of like how Brawlers almost always use Top Tier characters in a tournament, so you need to be prepared to face them.

Then you also need to consider if the pokemon your using can even use the beneficial moves to counter these so-called "Top Tier" strategies, sort of like trying to figure out how to counter Meta Knight or Snake with your main fighters, the most common characters in competitive Brawl matches.

THEN you need to consider.. a lot more. I could write a few more paragraphs about this, and I doubt anyone who's read all of this so far isn't highly bored, or just plain confused. In short, leveling up and evolving pokemon while giving them "powerful" moves doesn't cut it for the metagame, and never has, even since Red and Blue the metagame was complicated. You need to consider a plethora of different things the metagame supplies in every single fight.

... To anyone who's not a competitive pokemon player, or doesn't play the pokemon games at all and read all this, I comend you. For anyone who understood this, you epicly win. End incredibly oversized explanation ...

I've also openly liked animal crossing, powerpuff girls, and several things any guy would normally be ashamed of.

... It takes balls to say that, Anax. You win. :p

OH NOSE EMOISED

Damn you 4chan

Back