Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is Nintendo's Wii a hazard?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Disturbed1, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Disturbed1

Disturbed1 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7914-9240-2291-0710
    7914-9240-2291-0710
    Nintendo's Wii game console isn't just flying off store shelves -- it's flying out of players' hands.

The game company's president announced Thursday that the company was investigating reports that players were losing control of the game's remote, causing it to crash into nearby television screens, ceiling fans, even windows and dishes.

The system's weak point is, ironically, its unique selling point: a motion-sensitive controller that's waved like a wand as players participate in video swordfights, bowling, golf or tennis.

But apparently, some gamers aren't wearing the controller's strap around their wrists or are wearing it too loosely.

There are even some reports that the strap is prone to tearing without notice.

Multiple reports have surfaced of out-of-control Wii accidents; the Web site Wii Have a Problem is keeping a running tally.

Communicating with customers
    Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged Thursday that the company may indeed have a problem."Some people are getting a lot more excited than we'd expected," Iwata told the Mainichi Daily News in Japan. "We need to better communicate to people how to deal with Wii as a new form of entertainment."

The company sent an e-mail to new owners this week reiterating the need to wear the strap properly. The company has not decided on any specific measures to change the strap, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa said.

2. Mc_Evan

Mc_Evan Happy X-Mas !

#2 Mc_Evan, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  3. Bigred

Bigred Homework!

that shields pathetic...

also, thats old news. They've already recalled the controllers and replaced the strap with a thicker one and gave out free wiimote gloves to protect your tv/wall/etc.

4. Mc_Evan

Mc_Evan Happy X-Mas !

Lol, I know people should just be smart and wear the strap .

5. Disturbed1

7914-9240-2291-0710
    oops sorry my bad, got it from MSN, i just looked at the date it said 12/8/2006

didn't read the year...heh

again sorry all, my bad

mod please close....

6. AtomicB

AtomicB Status: Idle

Wii Friend Code: 5873-1290-1753-2112
    5873-1290-1753-2112
    I don't wear the strap. I didn't order the glove. Unlike some people, I can actually hold things.

"You must be smarter than the Wii Remote to play."

7. kronau

kronau Nice And Simple

Wii Friend Code: 2429-4615-8570-1814
    2429-4615-8570-1814
    everyone that had that happen to them are mentaly retartded or just plane stupid like srsly who the hell lets go of a wiimot whean thay are boxing on wii sports huh? its stupid and most of them are adults u'd expect it woul be little kids

8. surfinrach90

surfinrach90 I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.

Well then it's their own fault..

Nobody I know has had any problems with theirs because their not retarded.

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Wii Addict

A buddy I know wasn't wearing the strap. Accidently hit his hand on the coffee table during Wii Bowling. Broke the TV. Sometimes they really are just accidents.

10. largedarry

largedarry Waiting For Tomorrow

Wii Friend Code: 8861-8821-7046-6197
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    I don't know how they could "better communicate" to the customer to where the wrist strap. You have to be told to put the wrist strap on 3 times to play any Wii sports game. And you're told twice for most other games. I guess if you didn't where the remote, and you threw the remote at your TV, then too bad :cryin: .

11. [DT]

[DT] Gearhead Surf Coder

No kidding, the notice about wearing wrist strap is incredibly reinforced - to the point it's almost obtrusive - the next step will be for Mario to take a pause and turn to the player with an "OK kids, are you wearin' your wrist strap?"

(BTW, I had the intent to write that with an Italian inflection, but it didn't pan out :D )

12. jimbo

jimbo wii are cool!!!!!

the best way to learn something is to do it.

so if they igonore the normal rules then there own fault.

and i dont see what people are trying to achevie by bowling ect fast. ( just flick your wrist)

13. Kate

Kate WiiChat Member

They could have him pop up with a WiiMote and yell "STRAAAAAP!!!"

I agree with everybody else... if people choose to ignore the warnings and not wear the wrist strap, and thereby cause damage to either themselves, other people, or their possessions, then it's their own fault. They should just hand their Wii to me because I would take proper care of it.

14. sagema

sagema 3D Artist

Wii Friend Code: 4496-9128-1304-3457
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    It's like playing on a NES controller for the first time. You eventually got the NES thumb. That was from repeated button tapping. Now if you were smart you bought a turbo controller, or put a time limit on how long you played games. Back in the day a 1 hour session of Mega Man was enough to make anyone's thumb tired.

15. S.C.A.R.

S.C.A.R. Adept Rising

I tore my wrist strap off within a week of getting the system, (it was a hinderance) and I have not thrown my controller yet. I got an idea for people, how about not being retarded. How hard is it to NOT let go of something. It's literally as simple as making a fist. If anyone smashes their television it's their own damn fault.

16. zurukea

zurukea Billy Talent is awesomest

Lolz, If people don't use the wrist straps or remote protectors, Then its their own fault. Thats like if you buy a knife, some how to drop it or fling it. and it cuts someone, you can't get mad at the company who made the knife, you get mad at the moron.

17. S.C.A.R.

S.C.A.R. Adept Rising

Very well put. To ***** that the original strap is too weak is moronic. You're the idiot that threw the controller. Deal with it!

18. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    True, but the thing is with some people is they still insist on swinging like crazy people and do not realize that lighter non violent motions still do the trick.

19. S.C.A.R.

S.C.A.R. Adept Rising

Indeed. They are retarded. They don't deserve to have the system if that is the case.

20. Disturbed1

7914-9240-2291-0710
    totally agree with all you, but hey if people complain about it to Nintendo, Nintendo is not just gonna say screw you people, they have to do something about it