Is Nintendo's Wii a hazard?

Disturbed1

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2007
Concord, CA
Wii Online Code
7914-9240-2291-0710
Nintendo's Wii game console isn't just flying off store shelves -- it's flying out of players' hands.

The game company's president announced Thursday that the company was investigating reports that players were losing control of the game's remote, causing it to crash into nearby television screens, ceiling fans, even windows and dishes.

The system's weak point is, ironically, its unique selling point: a motion-sensitive controller that's waved like a wand as players participate in video swordfights, bowling, golf or tennis.

But apparently, some gamers aren't wearing the controller's strap around their wrists or are wearing it too loosely.

There are even some reports that the strap is prone to tearing without notice.

Multiple reports have surfaced of out-of-control Wii accidents; the Web site Wii Have a Problem is keeping a running tally.

Communicating with customers
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged Thursday that the company may indeed have a problem."Some people are getting a lot more excited than we'd expected," Iwata told the Mainichi Daily News in Japan. "We need to better communicate to people how to deal with Wii as a new form of entertainment."

The company sent an e-mail to new owners this week reiterating the need to wear the strap properly. The company has not decided on any specific measures to change the strap, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa said.

that shields pathetic...

also, thats old news. They've already recalled the controllers and replaced the strap with a thicker one and gave out free wiimote gloves to protect your tv/wall/etc.

Bigred said:
that shields pathetic...

also, thats old news. They've already recalled the controllers and replaced the strap with a thicker one and gave out free wiimote gloves to protect your tv/wall/etc.

Lol, I know people should just be smart and wear the strap .

oops sorry my bad, got it from MSN, i just looked at the date it said 12/8/2006

didn't read the year...heh

again sorry all, my bad

mod please close....

Disturbed1 said:
Nintendo's Wii game console isn't just flying off store shelves -- it's flying out of players' hands.

The game company's president announced Thursday that the company was investigating reports that players were losing control of the game's remote, causing it to crash into nearby television screens, ceiling fans, even windows and dishes.

The system's weak point is, ironically, its unique selling point: a motion-sensitive controller that's waved like a wand as players participate in video swordfights, bowling, golf or tennis.

But apparently, some gamers aren't wearing the controller's strap around their wrists or are wearing it too loosely.

There are even some reports that the strap is prone to tearing without notice.

Multiple reports have surfaced of out-of-control Wii accidents; the Web site Wii Have a Problem is keeping a running tally.

Communicating with customers
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged Thursday that the company may indeed have a problem."Some people are getting a lot more excited than we'd expected," Iwata told the Mainichi Daily News in Japan. "We need to better communicate to people how to deal with Wii as a new form of entertainment."

The company sent an e-mail to new owners this week reiterating the need to wear the strap properly. The company has not decided on any specific measures to change the strap, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa said.
everyone that had that happen to them are mentaly retartded or just plane stupid like srsly who the hell lets go of a wiimot whean thay are boxing on wii sports huh? its stupid and most of them are adults u'd expect it woul be little kids

Disturbed1 said:

Well then it's their own fault..

Nobody I know has had any problems with theirs because their not retarded.

I don't know how they could "better communicate" to the customer to where the wrist strap. You have to be told to put the wrist strap on 3 times to play any Wii sports game. And you're told twice for most other games. I guess if you didn't where the remote, and you threw the remote at your TV, then too bad :cryin: .

largedarry said:
I don't know how they could "better communicate" to the customer to where the wrist strap. You have to be told to put the wrist strap on 3 times to play any Wii sports game. And you're told twice for most other games. I guess if you didn't where the remote, and you threw the remote at your TV, then too bad :cryin: .

No kidding, the notice about wearing wrist strap is incredibly reinforced - to the point it's almost obtrusive - the next step will be for Mario to take a pause and turn to the player with an "OK kids, are you wearin' your wrist strap?"

(BTW, I had the intent to write that with an Italian inflection, but it didn't pan out :D )

the best way to learn something is to do it.

so if they igonore the normal rules then there own fault.

and i dont see what people are trying to achevie by bowling ect fast. ( just flick your wrist)

[DT] said:
No kidding, the notice about wearing wrist strap is incredibly reinforced - to the point it's almost obtrusive - the next step will be for Mario to take a pause and turn to the player with an "OK kids, are you wearin' your wrist strap?"

(BTW, I had the intent to write that with an Italian inflection, but it didn't pan out :D )

They could have him pop up with a WiiMote and yell "STRAAAAAP!!!"

I agree with everybody else... if people choose to ignore the warnings and not wear the wrist strap, and thereby cause damage to either themselves, other people, or their possessions, then it's their own fault. They should just hand their Wii to me because I would take proper care of it.

It's like playing on a NES controller for the first time. You eventually got the NES thumb. That was from repeated button tapping. Now if you were smart you bought a turbo controller, or put a time limit on how long you played games. Back in the day a 1 hour session of Mega Man was enough to make anyone's thumb tired.

I tore my wrist strap off within a week of getting the system, (it was a hinderance) and I have not thrown my controller yet. I got an idea for people, how about not being retarded. How hard is it to NOT let go of something. It's literally as simple as making a fist. If anyone smashes their television it's their own damn fault.

Back