Is PS3 Destined to fail?

wezeles

Guru of everything Ninty
Feb 12, 2007
Michigan, USA
Wii Online Code
6074-3351-1151-1701
Sonys electronics division has posted a profit only once in the last five years, and its share price has fallen...

Sony introduces the PS3 on the market not only as a top of the line gaming console but also as a HD Media center and front runner for Sonys jump into there own HD dvd format Blue-ray.
Now the HD dvd market isn't in great shape to begin with, although Blue-ray is outselling its competitor HDDVD,
The combined sales of all HDDVD and Blue-ray disk has yet to even reach that of one popular DVD.

The HD market itself is still small and in its infancy, but was it a good call on sonys part to try to force yet another media format, and with it higher price on its dedicated console fans?

Some of Sonys conga line of failures include, Sony Connect, the Net MD Walkman, Mini-Disc, Betamax... you get the picture.

They have had no problem with trying to force there own media format on consumers in the past and all be it most were "superior" to there competition, Sonys lack of keeping it a option instead of forcing has always hurt them in the past...

The worst part is this causes the PS3 to stay the highest priced console on the market and is has kept Sony in last place in sales and profit.
In my opinion its more linked to the high price than to lack of games or console quality.
They seem to be only selling to there very strong fan base, and not the Vast amount of casual gamers they are known for having with the PS2

Besides a price drop to get the system into the same range as its competitors, is there anything Sony can do to Save the Ps3?
Or is it destined to become the least remebered console this generation?

Last edited:
T3kNi9e said:
This topic sucks, it has almost nothing to do with gaming nor is it really interesting. Do you own a PS3?

What do you mean it has nothing to do with Gaming, im pointing out how Ps3 has made this move in the past and that now they are doing it to there Gaming console as well. And then i ask "what they can do to improve it"?

I dont own a ps3 but have one hooked up to me HDTV every weekend when friends bring it over to play rockband, or whatever else we are in the mood for.. The only bennift for me is the HDMI easy connection...

I will not buy the ps3 till they get the price in the 300 dollar price range with the other competitors, or come out with something groundbreaking that i can't go with out... The talk of the New Eye toy and all its capabilities is the only thing getting my ears ringing so far but untill i see it and how great it really is instead of just claims im still waiting on a price drop... Besides a Blue-ray player, that i dont need, they have yet to really wow me, or earned the higher price tag...

If you cant think of things they could do to improve the ps3 and market it to everyone, not just the fanbase...
why did you even comment? The only thing stupid "if you dont mind me quoting you" is ignoring a systems flaws and admit what it should improve...

Last edited:
But thats talking about Sony Market, it just happens to mention that they forced blue-ray on PS3 gamers. But IMO, they're doing fine. They just realized that if you are going to force blue-ray on the PS3, you need more than just HD movies to attract people to buy it because ultimately its a gaming console. Which they are doing with games like FF and MGS4. Ive wondered if maybe they're crashing down because of so many failures and loss of money, but I think they will do fine.

But its got almost nothing to do with gaming and basically talking about Sony's addiction on trying to force a new media format thats better than the "competion". Thats like making a topic on Microsoft releasing Vista and the failures of vista. But like vista, it started off rough and its starting to pick up.

Would they have been as bad off without the Blueray though? I highly doubt it...
I'm pointing out why they are Failing in the First place... Whenever they have done it in the past it has ended bad when they "forced" a new format.

So Why would they do it to something as Money making as there Console market? Gaming was the only place they were really making money in there elctronics devision, and have made money in for a while. They pretty much cutting there own throats forcing a new format on something that is considered Secondary to the console market...

What can they do to fix it? Ive seen the standard HD games but if 360 doesnt put there games in HDDVD format are any 3rd partys really going to come out with Crazy HD games?

Maybe sony should invest in some more 1st or 2nd party game studios,Making killer HD games that acctually fill up a Blueray disk in HD format... No one else could really even come close if they did that... Maybe Xbox, but they wouldn't be willing to loose sales to the fanbase of people who dont have a HDDVD 360's eaither... its something only Sony could outdo anyone at...

Sony was trying to truley be next-gen. There plan was supposed to be that PS3 will last alot longer than 360 and Wii. Apparently a 10 year life cycle. If that is true, then they dont expect to be ahead now and will sell alot long later on. Even still, PS3 is the cheapest blue-ray player out there. So with movie studios like Warner Bros. going Blu-ray exclusive, its going to sell more. There are also other movie studios that are planning on dropping HD and moving to blu-ray because of Warner. So in my eyes, I see PS3 getting a bit stroke of luck and they are doing good. PS3 probably wont drop in price for a good while or unless other blu-ray dvd players drop in price, for example Toshiba's. So basically its not over, Sony is doing fine.

Lol and Vista is not doing better... :lol: :lol:
the only reason sales even really continue is because its all Microsoft is willing to sell
The sales are much lower than XP ever was...

More people are buying/digging up XP to covert there Vista computer back to Xp...
It will probably continue that way untill Vista is fixed, also apple computer sales have increased significantly since vista launched because of how bad the new OS is...

Your comparing apples to oranges with that argument.

Your talking about a market that is almost a monopoly... people dont have a choice with Windows... most will wait till it gets better to even bother with it like me, but you cant avoid it unless you switch to a much less supported operating system...

Gaming is no were near that type of industry... every mistake cost millions of dollars that you will never see... not just cost you millions untill you decide to make it better...

My main concern with Blue-ray itself is if it will catch on enough to be worth it... its obviously the leading format of HD disk... But what good is being the leader of a small media format?

Are disk even going to be around long enough to make money off the format?
If they are going to invest in Blueray or HDDVD they need to do it fast, because within the next 10 years these things will be as outdated as VHS tapes....

More and more we get away from physicall media, everyone has DVR's instead of VCR's, alot of people have some type of On Demand service where instead of going out and renting or buying a video they just save it onto there Hard Drive under the T.V.
I personally haven't bought a DVD type movie "except spiderman-3 for christmas to complete the collection" in over a year... but i have bought over 30 movies in the past 6 months, they are just saved on my DVR instead of taking up room on my DVD rack...
alot i even took off the DVD rack and put onto the DVR then stored the old DVD's away... why should i pay 30 bucks for a HD movie when i get it for 5?

The same goes with Gaming with all this downloadable content now.. do you have any idea how much money they save with no packaging,or physical media? let alone the extra income from the option to buy these types of media the second you see it advertised...

Sahirrama said:
PS3 isn't destined to fail...

1. Wii is more of a novelty item. You buy it, play it for a week until the thrill wears off, then let it collect dust while playing other systems. After that you only brag to your friends that you have a Wii and they don't.

2. Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death
I know Microsoft is gonna fix the overheating problem, but the legacy of the RROD precedes it. That is really gonna hurt sales.

3. Xbox 360 HD-DVD player
Nobody will actually need one of these anymore, and it is one less reason to buy a 360.

4. PS3 has awesome exclusive titles
-Warhawk
-Uncharted
-Heavenly Sword
-Folklore
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-God of War III
-Devil May Cry 4 will have exclusive content

5. 360 has only 1 good exclusive title...Halo 3
Almost every other good game for the 360 is either on the PC or PS3

6. Playstation Home

7. PS3 Blu-Ray
People are gonna want a high def player once the war is over, and the PS3 is the way to go.

http://www.wiichat.com/playstation-3/47462-ps3-vs-wii-vs-xbox-360-post-your-own-opinions-too.html

Lol, you like going to your old threads and copy + paste what you say?

The 360 does have other games you know :p

Halo 3
Gears of War
Next Gears of War
Ninja Gaiden 2
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Halo Wars
GTA IV will have exclusive content...

They're big games for the 360... I don't reeeeally like any of them too much, apart from Gears of War.

It's Blu-ray

umm. . . . I think the PS3 will do fine, not great but fine.

Some of the games coming out for it do look pretty amazing. It will obviously probably fail to ever sell really well but it's still going to have a few really good games.

Blu-Ray/HD-DvD is still a relatively new technology. Of course people aren't going to eat up what they don't need, or even know about. Not to mention the price of some of the discs/players. The same could be said for people switching from VHS to Dvd. With the forcing the format on to the fans? It seems that way, yes. Eventually, games will take advantage of that extra space. It's pretty much wasted space as it is now. And, the PS3 wants to be your all in one. And, this forcing wont be hurting anyone this time. It isn't failed. Blu-Ray has won. Pretty soon, HD-Dvd will have no major studios backing it. I say, pass all this, and just get an up-conversion player, personally.

Sales. Ah, yes. The PS3 is not doing that bad. Compared to the Wii, yes. It's doing terrible. But, the 360 is doing equally as bad against the Wii. The PS3 came out a year after the 360, no? According to the picture in your sig, the 360 has sold 16million. The PS3 is about half that. The PS3, also coming a year after the 360, hmmmm. And, to add to the that, the PS3 is not as pricey as it once was. Getting the cheapest at $399. The 360's cheapest comes at $279. And, the Wii not too far off, at $250. You're expected to pay more for the superior technology. Wii-PS3, that only being $150 more. Not that enormous of a difference. Especially considering all these extras that the 360/Wii try to throw at you.

Sony's biggest "failure" is coming out after the 360. This is where they flawed, and why they're trailing along in last with console sales. It would be way more close if they would have launched at a similar time to the 360. You can't argue with this.

And, people aren't just going to give up on owning something physical. Some will, but everybody in 10 years will not be saving stuff to their DvR, or whatever new thing they come out with. They just wont. Especially considering how DRM heavy that **** would be. Not everyone will do that. Eventually, yes. The CD/DvD will be dead, but not in 10 years. 10 years later, people are still buying physcial CD's. The downloading of .mp3's is killing CD sales, but people are still buying CD's. Albeit, not as they were. The same will happen to the physical DvD, just not as soon as you're out to make it. Not everybody has even went HD yet.

You remind me of this Nintendo jockey who posts at this other forum I go to.
Seriously.
laugh.gif

Oh, and I do infact not even own a PS3, yet.
I just hate seeing it get ganged up on all the time.

Let us see how good Nintendo's next consoles does.
Without having the flashy newness of features their current console has, I don't know. Unless all of their install base turns hardcore, I don't think they'll fair as well. Why would they upgrade, when the Wii would still have Wii Sports?

wellllll the ps3 is a cheaper system then the 360 now better graffics and going to have more games and loads more epic games im saying the 360 in gonna go out of busness after about a few months

Lol kronau where do you get these things from, thats the dumbest thing I heard... PS3 has a bigger chance of going out of business than the 360. Last I heard $270 is cheaper than $400...

360 is doing extremely well considering they have 3 different consoles all more expensive than the Wii alone with 10 million Live subscribers. The year warranty hurt them but with the steady sales Xbox is doing its not even possible to think they're going out of business.

I doubt even Sony would go out of business because despite other attempts, Blu-ray is actually doing succussful. Last I heard 90% of people still buy normal DVD's but Blu-ray is still out seling HD-DVD and with studios going Blu-Ray exclusive and TV is permanantly going to HD in 2009 almost everyone will own a HDTV.

Back