Is PS3 Destined to fail?

T3kNi9e said:
TV is permanantly going to HD in 2009 almost everyone will own a HDTV.

Wrong, t.v. is not going to HD it is goign to DTV... meaning they no longer will be sending analog signals, they need them for more basic things like cell phones and other wireless devices..lol

T.V will have to be in DTV format by Febuary 2009 meaning only that it be provided in Digital signal... it doesn't even have to be in 16:9 widescreen format.

But because of this new rule set in place a few years ago by the FCC, some of T.V. companies and broadcast studios are making and switching over to HDTV of some sort...
But all of them have to switch over to digital tuners and signal.. thats not an option

still the percentage of HD Broadcasters is about the same as the people that own HDTV in the home.. Only about 10% of stations are going to broadcast in a HDTV by the time the switch comes... but because of this switch it is much cheeper and eaiser to take it another Step and make it HDTV...

I work In local t.v. stations on and off went to school for t.v. prodcution... the FCC sends reports on and off to us about everything... Based on the last Memo i read they suspect at the current rate All Televisions and
Television Broadcast Stations will Be in "True" HDTV format "720i" by 2025... Untill then it will continue to be a mix of SDTV,EDTV,and HDTV just all of them in Digital format.

And alot of broadcasters and companys consider there 480p 16:9 format as HDTV as well just because its widescreen and digital signal, so some of the HD t.v.'s and the stations we currently see are yet to be "true" HD in a sense... But the standards have been increasing over the past couple years and its yet to be put in place what "true HD" is... just whats accepted at the time.

http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html

Last edited:
Dude you have no clue what your talking about . Every post you make is pointless you drive me crazy with these stuiped post ! Go out of bussness lol that wont happen were are you ggeting this from wowow

Taking to the guy 3 post ahead of me some thing with a k

remember, ps3 still has a lot of exclusives to be sold, so i don't think it will die.

I don't think it will die but I do think that the BlueRay player was a waste of time for the PS3 console

Yes, Blueray will overwrite everything else eventually but when that happens stand alone Blue Ray players will start to appear at a lower price. Therefore why buy the PS3 when you can have a stand alone player AND keep your 360 :)

wezeles said:
Wrong, t.v. is not going to HD it is goign to DTV... meaning they no longer will be sending analog signals, they need them for more basic things like cell phones and other wireless devices..lol

T.V will have to be in DTV format by Febuary 2009 meaning only that it be provided in Digital signal... it doesn't even have to be in 16:9 widescreen format.

But because of this new rule set in place a few years ago by the FCC, some of T.V. companies and broadcast studios are making and switching over to HDTV of some sort...
But all of them have to switch over to digital tuners and signal.. thats not an option

still the percentage of HD Broadcasters is about the same as the people that own HDTV in the home.. Only about 10% of stations are going to broadcast in a HDTV by the time the switch comes... but because of this switch it is much cheeper and eaiser to take it another Step and make it HDTV...

I work In local t.v. stations on and off went to school for t.v. prodcution... the FCC sends reports on and off to us about everything... Based on the last Memo i read they suspect at the current rate All Televisions and
Television Broadcast Stations will Be in "True" HDTV format "720i" by 2025... Untill then it will continue to be a mix of SDTV,EDTV,and HDTV just all of them in Digital format.

And alot of broadcasters and companys consider there 480p 16:9 format as HDTV as well just because its widescreen and digital signal, so some of the HD t.v.'s and the stations we currently see are yet to be "true" HD in a sense... But the standards have been increasing over the past couple years and its yet to be put in place what "true HD" is... just whats accepted at the time.

http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html

Uhh, all this I know. Why must you take things too literal and try to be a smart ass by "proving me wrong". In order to watch TV you will need either an HDTV or a DTV converter for a SDTV. HDTV's come with it already, not sure about 420p EDTV's though. So its either buying an old SDTV with a DTV converter from your cable company (Comcast gives you the first one free) or you just buy a HDTV and you wont need the converter. Meaning what? Meaning most people will own their own HDTV in 2009. But I dont mean that literally its just to make a point. Most people are going to really going to start converting from SDTV to HDTV's. Unless of course certain people do not want to invest their money into getting a HDTV and will just get a DTV converter box.

T3kNi9e said:
Uhh, all this I know. Why must you take things too literal and try to be a smart ass by "proving me wrong". In order to watch TV you will need either an HDTV or a DTV converter for a SDTV. HDTV's come with it already, not sure about 420p EDTV's though. So its either buying an old SDTV with a DTV converter from your cable company (Comcast gives you the first one free) or you just buy a HDTV and you wont need the converter. Meaning what? Meaning most people will own their own HDTV in 2009. But I dont mean that literally its just to make a point. Most people are going to really going to start converting from SDTV to HDTV's. Unless of course certain people do not want to invest their money into getting a HDTV and will just get a DTV converter box.

im not trying to be a smart ass, im just telling you your wrong, way wrong..lol... try learning to READ... DTV has nothing to do with format at all... DTV is the SIGNAL that t.v. will be broadcasted in..

SDTV,EDTV,HDTV are all formats, and all t.v's since like 2005 have came with built in DIGITAL or DTV tuner to be ready for the 2009 switch over to DTV signal... that includes all SDTV,EDTV,and the new HDTV sold since this time period..

its not that HDTV is a standard or becoming a standard at all... Its just a possability now because of the fact that all channels will be in DIGITAL signal instead of ANALOG Meaning everyone will be able to recieve HDTV signals even people with old school Attenas on there roof...

They still make all of these different formats of t.v's to this day,I can go out and buy a 2009 ready SDTV if i want for like 150 bucks.... You only would need a DTV converter box if you have a t.v. thats so old it was before they decided to switch and doesn't have a DTV tuner built in... but if you bought a t.v. in the past 3 years or so it will still work.
they had scheduals over the past 6-7 years for each size t.v's to be forced to be DTV tuner capable starting with the biggest screens first... thats why HDTV got so big int he first place, they had to make these big t.v.s with digital tuners for 2009 and they knew HDTV would be a format that would come with the switch soon enough, so they just included HDTV with a portion of the newer t.v's they made...

if you have a t.v. thats before the DTV tuners were manditory to be included, then they will provide you with a DTV converter box coupon so you can continue to recieve t.v. broadcast but in digital signal on your analog t.v..
This really only effects people getting t.v. through an attena instead of satelite of cable... if you have sat/cable you dont have to do anything, they are taking care of it all most of them have been digital for years already...

Hmm words good, Read learn ahh...
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq12

:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Wii_Smurf said:
I don't think it will die but I do think that the BlueRay player was a waste of time for the PS3 console

Yes, Blueray will overwrite everything else eventually but when that happens stand alone Blue Ray players will start to appear at a lower price. Therefore why buy the PS3 when you can have a stand alone player AND keep your 360 :)

Most major movies studios have already said they are not going to renew their contract with HD-DVD and that they are switching to Blu-Ray. By the time you buy a 360 and add on an HD-DVD player you are practically paying the same price as a PS3 so why not go with the superior system? I think Sony knew exactly what they were doing and they did it right. As an owner of both the Wii and PS3 I could not be happier. I did have a tough decision between PS3 and 360 but I chose PS3 and keep in mind I have only had my PS3 for 2 weeks. I was very much leaning to 360 and I am SOOO glad I didn't.

T3kNi9e said:
Sony was trying to truley be next-gen. There plan was supposed to be that PS3 will last alot longer than 360 and Wii. Apparently a 10 year life cycle. If that is true, then they dont expect to be ahead now and will sell alot long later on. Even still, PS3 is the cheapest blue-ray player out there. So with movie studios like Warner Bros. going Blu-ray exclusive, its going to sell more. There are also other movie studios that are planning on dropping HD and moving to blu-ray because of Warner. So in my eyes, I see PS3 getting a bit stroke of luck and they are doing good. PS3 probably wont drop in price for a good while or unless other blu-ray dvd players drop in price, for example Toshiba's. So basically its not over, Sony is doing fine.

Perfect example of what I was saying. There is no way the 360 was planning on lasting 10 years. Not everyone has 600 bucks to drop every 4 years for a new gaming console. Sony will pull ahead...Good things come to those who wait ;)

the PS3 will do good enough to have a PS4 in the future. will it win? doubt it..its way far behind..but the blu-ray is really nice. i love my blu-ray movies. that was a major selling point for me with the PS3, i though, hey if it fails ill still have HD movies at least.

of course they will be around again.. Sony has enough money to make plenty of mistakes, they have done much worse in the past...

the question is if the ps3 is going to fail? There is no question its the superior all around system, but by the time people start really needing the blu-ray player will it still be the superior all around console?
they plan on keeping it 10 years.

we all know in the next 3-4 Microsoft and Nintendo will have a new gen system... if they feel like it they could toss a blu-ray player into there own system at that time. and most likely have better graphics than the current ps3 with a starting price thats not nearly as intimidating as the ps3 beause it will atleast be common technology at that time...

I just think Sony bit off more than they could chew this round, they might help push HDTV technology into the mainstream, but id be suprised if they make any money at all off there investment into the Ps3 and Blu-ray itself when the PS3 is all done.

Sony is doing another price drop! The PS3 should be $300 by X-mas 2008. Unfortunately it will be the 40gb version. Update your VGchartz images people, they're out of date.

that will be nice.. ill get one next christmas then.. hopefully they will have backwards compatability fixed by that time, they cant keep selling them without it...and i'd rather box up the ps2 when i get it...

the VG chartz "sigs" aren't updated yet i dont know why they do that... if you just paste the picture it will be gone in a couple weeks when they change it...you gotta use there "signature" link for it to stay permanetly..

Last edited:
That sig isn't valid nor is it even right. VGChartz is not a reliable source for sales. You should only go by news announcements. I forgot why VGChartz is not reliable though, it has something to do with how they tally the sales.

There is a whole tread on this go look it up... VGchatz is based on acctual sales from store sales, not units sold from console companies... Sony and Microsoft would be doing alot better if you count the ones sitting on a shelf not sold...

Back