Is PS3 Destined to fail?

VGChartz isn't 100%! You want accurate sales look at the NPD, Gamedeveloper or any gaming magazine. The 360 announced 17.7 million units sold by the end of 2007. VGchartz still hasn't updated it. They are close to accurate, that's why so many people claim VGchartz is legit. But 80% is still 80%.

highroller said:
I think PS3 will kick back and at least beat the 360 in sales.. the price drop helps them
The PS3 will get there in due time. Beating the 360, I don't know about that.
But, eventually the 360 will hit a plateau. Everyone who wants, will have one. This is when the PS3 will trudge up from the bottom.

And, I'd trust VG Chartz over any of the other sites that claim to know the true sales. Though, they don't list the 360 at 17.7 millions sales, 16.47 million is still pretty close.

There is a reason for that... VGchartz goes by units sold from stores, and in the homes being used...not units sold by console companies to stores, they dont count the thousands apon thousands of units sitting on a store shelf collection dust.. NPD only does basically the same thing tracking how many are sold to consumers But only the United Stats, so they cant have an accurate worldwide count... VG uses NPD's numbers as part of there calculations....

I don't really know how a console would fail. The Gamecube was doing as bad as the PS3 is right now, but did it fail? No. Saying a console will fail is a stretching it and something gamers won't even care about. Sale numbers don't tell crap, the games do.

Also to mention, most people who own a Wii do not even play it on a weekly basis. If you count the number of people who play their Wii compared to the PS3, the numbers would be much closer.

The Wii is a great system, but I just don't like how Nintendo is going about with it.

wezeles said:
There is a reason for that... VGchartz goes by units sold from stores, and in the homes being used...not units sold by console companies to stores, they dont count the thousands apon thousands of units sitting on a store shelf collection dust.. NPD only does basically the same thing tracking how many are sold to consumers But only the United Stats, so they cant have an accurate worldwide count... VG uses NPD's numbers as part of there calculations....

It doesnt matter, it doesnt change the fact that its inaccurate and is not a viable source. If you try to make an offical news post or even edit something on Wikipedia with your source being vgchartz it will be disregarded. Your news post would be seen as unreliable and wikipedia would erase any editing done and send you a message stating that its not a reliable source. So if Wikipedia doesn't allow it, its for a good reason. And you can't try to make Wikipedia seem wrong because Wikipedia is very dedicated to keeping its information true to the facts. Which is why its only allowed to use consoles shipped stats that are announced.

RivalDestiny said:
I don't really know how a console would fail. The Gamecube was doing as bad as the PS3 is right now, but did it fail? No. Saying a console will fail is a stretching it and something gamers won't even care about. Sale numbers don't tell crap, the games do.

Also to mention, most people who own a Wii do not even play it on a weekly basis. If you count the number of people who play their Wii compared to the PS3, the numbers would be much closer.

The Wii is a great system, but I just don't like how Nintendo is going about with it.

Im talking failing buisness wise, are they gonna make enough money to make up for what they have invested into the system at all?

GC didnt fail because nintendo again makes profit on every console they sell aswell as everything else they sell.. it nintendo made a console that didnt make a profit they would go outta buisness... they only do gaming not everything else.. they have no money to fall back on...

PS3 i look at right now as another one of Sonys many "Look at me" stunts that they have tryed many times in the past... Risking there own money to advance the elctronics standards and just hopping people will pay the higher price for this advancement... This of course isnt a bad thing, its great for all of us it just forces all other electronics to improve and reach a higher standard. Alot of times its just a big risk for the company that chooses to advance this far away from standard..

I doubt it will last the qouted 10 years same as the ps2 didnt last 10 years, but the ps2 didnt have this large of a price gap compared to the other competition and it didnt loose this much profit per console... But with the new advancements set in place by other systems like the Wii in motion technology... Because of this i think we will get improved consoles quicker than we are use to from microsoft and nintendo....

if sony wants to stay in the gaming buisness i suspect another sony gaming console by 2012... Leaving them at best breaking even with sales if not in the red with the PS3, unless they can get the manufacturing price down or show us something to make it worth the money. and get a larger market share in gaming again...

Last edited:
It's true. Nintendo can't afford to lose money like Sony and Microsoft. If they did, they'd end up like Sega. In the future Nintendo may go the way of Sega. For now Nintendo is number one because big business got greedy, and impractical. $20 million to make a single game is insane.

2008 will be the death of the $20 million game. Don't get me wrong, a few expensive games will make that money, but most that invest that amount in 2008 will suffer dramatic profit loss. I'm looking at you EA.

kronau said:
wellllll the ps3 is a cheaper system then the 360 now better graffics and going to have more games and loads more epic games im saying the 360 in gonna go out of busness after about a few months

... That didn't make a lick of sense at all.

If the PS3 fails, Sony won't go out of business. They'll either drop out of the gaming market and go back to doing other technologies (TV's, Cameras, DVD Discs/Players, etc), or they'll pick up the pieces and start over for the next generation.

Clearly the PS3 is doing the worst out of the 3 consoles, and forcing Blu-ray technology into the console was a bad move (even though Sony is too proud to admit it). The 360 is already proving that one can enjoy full HD gaming without even Blu-ray & HD-DVD technology.

But one should try to understand, that Sony can cut the price of the PS3 all they want, but it still won't change the fact that the consoles' architecture is still frustrating to code for, for alot of developers..thus resulting in lesser game releases, constant delays, and more development costs... Just like the Sega Saturn.

Who knows, maybe Sony will make a comeback next generation, by doing it right, like they did with the PSOne & PS2.

Gikoku said:
Clearly the PS3 is doing the worst out of the 3 consoles, and forcing Blu-ray technology into the console was a bad move (even though Sony is too proud to admit it).

I posted a quote here before from a thread over at AVS where someone said (roughly):

"Sony gave up their lead in the videogame market, and decimated their earnings to capture < 1% of the licensing revenues of the HDM business".

Just about anyone with a small amount of business acumen would call this risky (to outright suidical). Especially considering Sony has been hemorrhaging cash the last few years.

Sony did/does have a more global play on deck - yet another attempt at the convergence box (convergence? wow, I wrote an article for PC Week like 10-12 years ago about it :lol: ), media control (both content at the studio level and media from the distribution mechanism/licensing).

If I were Sony, I'd do a CE deal with the same partners as BD, get some market saturation on the underlying PS3 tech (i.e., non-Sony branded) - try to make the machine as "consumer-ized" as other CE products like Tivo.

I don't think it will fail, just be slightly re-invented to fit into Sony's global strategy which is way beyond a videogame console.

Back