Is the Wii ever going to come out with games such as Halo?!?!

I was thinking about this topic the other day. Id love to see a quake or unreal hit the wii. Even a Q3 or UT port with tight controls would be awesome.

Spinty said:
But doesn't it get a little repetitive? I mean, once you've shot one alien, you've shot them all.

so then ur basically saying once u've played an fps you've played em all...

I must retort to everyone in this thread Metroid Prime always has and always will be an Adventure Game. Although it does have shooting themes it is moreso an adventure game.

Tomahawk33 said:
Yeah Hi lover, But I was wondering if the Wii will ever come out with a sweet first person shooter, Besides Call of Duty or Medal Of Honor. Im just lookin for a game thats sweet like Halo and it will have sweet online play like Halo. PLZ RESPOND!!!

I meant at the beginning "Yeah Hi, Im a Wii lover...

Don't see it happening. Which is why I've got a PC.

cmhatter said:
so then ur basically saying once u've played an fps you've played em all...

I don't know if he is but i am certainly saying that. Every FPS is the same.

• OK each game has different weaponry, whats the big deal?
  • Your always usng the same controlls.
  • One game may have more gore, so what
  • Graphics may be superior, who gives? It's just going to have longer loading screens (ahem PC, XBOX and PS)

Wii surely is capable of having good shooters like Halo, yes.
If we will ever see Halo on Wii, well no.

Personally, I would rather wait for an original good shooter made by Nintendo, rather than have a quick copy of games like Halo etc.

In theory, there is nothing stopping developers creating a good FPS game for the Wii.

Arguments against creating an FPS for the Wii, and why in my opinion, they are not valid:
Control systems not being able to function well with a fast-paced FPS: both motion-sensing Wii controls and analog-style Xbox/Playstation controls can handle FPS games well. In fact, many claim that the Wii remote style is a lot more comfortable, as it is closer to the mouse/keyboard style of play for FPS which is the most comfortable for some players.

Graphics not being upto scratch/processing power not enough to handle fast-paced FPS: Graphical quality is inconsequential. As far as processing power goes, well, the Wii would be very much at home handling a fast-paced shoot with lots going on provided the graphics were scaled to an appropriate level so as to encounter no frame loss. See the new MOH Wii game for evidence of that.

The Wii is aimed at a family audience – an FPS game may not be widely received: The Wii has a PLETHORA of party games, and games catered towards the younger generation already. It has games catered towards the older generation(s) too I’ll not deny, but the fact is, for a console to be recognised as a ‘family console’ and not a ‘kiddie/casual console’ it needs to cater for everyone in the family – not just casual gamers. There is a niche in the Wii game market that is not being filled, and this niche is with decent quality action/shooter/FPS games for the serious gamer, with online capabilities. The opposing view here is that if you want that, go to another console - but still, I think these types of games would be great with the Wii control method.

I think that most developers/publishers will aim towards a console such as the Xbox 360 or the PS3 with FPS games as those consoles are more geared towards those types of gamers. For a decent FPS game to be released SOLELY on the Wii is a big gamble that may or may not bring in the profit returns they desire - much more likely, is that the same FPS game on the Xbox360/PS3 will bring in much more. Which is why IMO we’re more likely to see cross-platform FPS games on the Wii as opposed to decent Wii-exclusive games for the serious action/shooter/FPS enthusiast. Not saying I don't think it'll happen, just that they'll be few and far between.

Just my opinion, of course.

wii does need a fps with a good story mode, multi player and online play
halo was a big step for xbox but personally i found 007 more addictive
medal of honor 2 almost did it but no multiplayer was a hige dissapointment
how long did 360 owners have to wait for halo3
n i played it and was expecting a little more
with so much hype it looked like they coulda put a lot more effert since it will b the last true halo

gnahc79 said:
The Wii is marketed as an all-around console. A great FPS targets the 'hardcore' gamers that like intense gameplay AND superb graphics. A FPS game for the Wii could deliver the gameplay aspect, but the graphics requirement cannot.
The xbox 360 dominates FPS. It's unlikely that a game company would want to spend money for a Wii FPS when the xbox 360 is a sure thing (as long as the game doesn't suck, lol).
There is one other thing. I'm not sure how the xbox live membership works as far as who gets the money (exclusive to ms, % shared, etc?), but online play for the Wii does not generate any additional money. It may get more sales for the initial purchase of the game, but that's it.
IMO it's all about minimizing risk and maximizing profit, the Wii cannot offer that for a Halo-like FPS.

This is all funny- is anyone else getting these annoying private messages from a little kid named "AtomicB"?

Since I posted my original assertion/opinion he's been sending me these hate mails telling me how wrong I am. According to his profile he's 15, but honestly, wow, I've never been attacked for my opinion which is very close to yours here, and attacked non-stop in private. Heh I've put him on ignore, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm still not convinced that the Wii can offer the tight control scheme favored by many hardcore FPS fans. Wii control, while fun, and different, still lacks for FPS', imo. (I'm sure that will get some cyber stalker going).

And on that note- you're right, I'm not sure a company such as, say, Bungee, would want to spend dev. $$'s porting over a game to the Wii which would require an awkward control scheme. Even critics cite minor control problems with games such as MP3, or RE4. I haven't played Call of Duty for the Wii, and the Medal of Honor series is, outside of the Wii, hailed as a POS (thus I'm not taking it into consideration as a series game).

killik119 said:
Lol, are you serious? Wii controls are only second to the traditional keyboard and mouse, which is where the real twitch reflexes lie. Maybe you've never held a rifle before, the Wii offers a far more realistic control than analog sticks ever can. All that is needed, is to make turning with the wiimote faster (you can adjust the speed of which you turn in MOH:H2). Then twitch gaming will be like traditional arcades again, except you'll have more freedom and it wont be on the rails.

Console gamers usually prefer Analog anyways.

Anyways I doubt it. Nintendo hasn't really had a really good FPS game since Perfect Dark back in the N64 days. I wont count MP3 because technically thats considered a FPA (First-Person Adventure).

Personally I prefer a great action adventure (MP3, RE4) over a great FPS like Halo 3. After playing FPS on the PC like crazy back in college, it does get a little repetitive.

Meesterjoj said:
This is all funny- is anyone else getting these annoying private messages from a little kid named "AtomicB"?

Since I posted my original assertion/opinion he's been sending me these hate mails telling me how wrong I am. According to his profile he's 15, but honestly, wow, I've never been attacked for my opinion which is very close to yours here, and attacked non-stop in private. Heh I've put him on ignore, but it doesn't seem to work.

Bravo, sir! I was expecting an intelligent reply! But far be it from you to actually do that. "Hate messages"? I never insulted you, did I?

Wow. Just... Wow... This guys a real winner!

Meesterjoj said:
I'm still not convinced that the Wii can offer the tight control scheme favored by many hardcore FPS fans. Wii control, while fun, and different, still lacks for FPS', imo. (I'm sure that will get some cyber stalker going).

And you STILL haven't given a reason or evidence of this.

Meesterjoj said:
And on that note- you're right, I'm not sure a company such as, say, Bungee, would want to spend dev. $$'s porting over a game to the Wii which would require an awkward control scheme. Even critics cite minor control problems with games such as MP3, or RE4. I haven't played Call of Duty for the Wii, and the Medal of Honor series is, outside of the Wii, hailed as a POS (thus I'm not taking it into consideration as a series game).

No sources. Biased. Seriously man.

Back