Let me be a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyou for making that list and helping peaple syntax :thumbsup:

Syntax said:
Tips on becoming a forum mod and or a better member.. From Syntax's perspective. Basically what I've seen and or learned over my time spent browsing and moderating some forums.

1. Respect other peoples opinions.

Whether or not you agree/disagree with what someone is saying be sure to respect their opinions. By going out of your way to insult and or put these people down because of their opinions is wrong.

2. Never go out of your way to insult another member.

I see this happen practically every day. Whether it's on Wii Chat or on another forum I post on. There are always members who will go out of their way just to insult someone because they believe they have the right to. Wrong, nobody has the right to insult another member. If you are one of these members I can assure you your chances of becoming a moderator are very slim.

3. Lend a hand. Help out around the forum.

If you notice that someone is new to the forum and needs some help and or assistance point them in the right direction. Let them know what the forum rules are and or where they can receive help. By putting members down because their new just leads to flame wars and various other problems which isn't needed.

4. Follow the forum rules.

If you want to become a moderator you must abide by the forum rules. If you can't then I suggest you start.

5. We are all equal.

Whether you are new to the forum or an old member be sure to treat other members with respect. Or at least the way you would like to be treated. By judging others based on post count and or join date you are just creating more problems by going out of your way to flame another member.

6. Its not all fun and games.

Being a moderator doesn't mean you have the right to ban any member you see just because you may disagree with their views and or find that their doing something wrong, such as breaking the forum rules. In most cases the power to ban is usually seen as a last resort. Moderators will usually just delete posts which are considered against the forum rules along with threads. So its not always about banning "x" member.

Finally you have to realize with great power comes great responsibility. As some of you may know Wii Chat is one of the most popular Wii based forums and we have around 30,000+ members so moderating a site such as this one is a hard task. So before you go creating a thread to bash the mods because you believe their not doing their job, which they are, take some time to think about it. Now I know it seems that the site is currently under staffed but that should soon change.

Thx for the advice

Prez said:
A person who is seriously a great mod will know how to become one.

That is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard :lol: . Is their some magical moderation force that shows the path to becoming a moderator to those who are worthy?

What Prez is trying to say is that those who are experienced know how to go about becoming a mod. Similar to any job out there. Take for example an interview. If you know what you're doing and have had previous experience when it comes to the job your applying for you will most likely be chosen to fulfill the spot.

He's right you know...though it does sound like it comes out of a video game " You are the Chosen One there for you are a Forum mod, go and complete your Task" kinda perfect for a video game forum too, but yeah...The Mods will chose those who they think are worthy. It's like my Example i said before...The mods look for the best that could mod and then they suggest it to i0n and then Voila they PM the person and ask them.

Syntax said:
Tips on becoming a forum mod and or a better member.. From Syntax's perspective. Basically what I've seen and or learned over my time spent browsing and moderating some forums.

1. Respect other peoples opinions.

Whether or not you agree/disagree with what someone is saying be sure to respect their opinions. By going out of your way to insult and or put these people down because of their opinions is wrong.

2. Never go out of your way to insult another member.

I see this happen practically every day. Whether it's on Wii Chat or on another forum I post on. There are always members who will go out of their way just to insult someone because they believe they have the right to. Wrong, nobody has the right to insult another member. If you are one of these members I can assure you your chances of becoming a moderator are very slim.

3. Lend a hand. Help out around the forum.

If you notice that someone is new to the forum and needs some help and or assistance point them in the right direction. Let them know what the forum rules are and or where they can receive help. By putting members down because their new just leads to flame wars and various other problems which isn't needed.

4. Follow the forum rules.

If you want to become a moderator you must abide by the forum rules. If you can't then I suggest you start.

5. We are all equal.

Whether you are new to the forum or an old member be sure to treat other members with respect. Or at least the way you would like to be treated. By judging others based on post count and or join date you are just creating more problems by going out of your way to flame another member.

6. Its not all fun and games.

Being a moderator doesn't mean you have the right to ban any member you see just because you may disagree with their views and or find that their doing something wrong, such as breaking the forum rules. In most cases the power to ban is usually seen as a last resort. Moderators will usually just delete posts which are considered against the forum rules along with threads. So its not always about banning "x" member.

Finally you have to realize with great power comes great responsibility. As some of you may know Wii Chat is one of the most popular Wii based forums and we have around 30,000+ members so moderating a site such as this one is a hard task. So before you go creating a thread to bash the mods because you believe their not doing their job, which they are, take some time to think about it. Now I know it seems that the site is currently under staffed but that should soon change.

That should be put into a sticky or something. Thats one of the most helpful posts I've seen in awhile. It helps members both new and old from the way i look at it.

Can't ask to be a mod...

Tails McCloud~ said:
Can't ask to be a mod...
Sure you can..
Nothing against that.
If you know what your doing, asking could be all it takes.
However, asking usually does not work.

However, asking usually does not work.

Seeing as most people who go around asking for a mod spot are begging for it. As long as you have a valid reason then it's alright. Otherwise there's no point in bothering.

Dam time zones, I missed all of these five pages.

But yeah, look at it this way, your approach was very vulgar it was more of a telling not a asking and just the way you acted in this thread. So at the moment there is no chance of you becoming a mod from my view.

Look at Fr. when he asked, that was more polite and he asked and gave some reasons, he did get turned down but in my opinion he is close to becoming a MOD, he try to help members out and such. If anything it might of increased his chances because it made the MOD's aware that he is willing to help the forum. I think they might have their eye on him.

Syntax, Great tips, it will help people, maybe make it a thread, should be a sticky, it will help stop these kind of threads.

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
We Need To make A List On Who DESERVES To Be A Mod.

Well the current MOD's have a few ideas of who made make a good MOD.

If we made a list it wold have to be who WE as members want to mod our site. We would need to think carefully of who deserves it.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Well the current MOD's have a few ideas of who made make a good MOD.

If we made a list it wold have to be who WE as members want to mod our site. We would need to think carefully of who deserves it.

Exactly! That Way, You/We Have A better Choice On Who To be A Mod. See?

^_^

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Exactly! That Way, You/We Have A better Choice On Who To be A Mod. See?

^_^

Yeah, I suppose.

We as members should have a say, like who we think should be MOD's and then the MOD's will have a easier choice as they will see who the members want modding their site.

Meh, if you want, would you start a thread for discussion or what?

good idea..i can make the thread if you want or someone can..but i'm just wondering if we do it...will a mod delete it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back