LOST Season 5

I think she was implying it was moving through time? Argh, this show is hurting my head at the moment.

I think moving through Time was a given. Right now, though, it is currently unknown if it changes physical location as well.

I thought that too, but the scene with Eloise and the tracking room made me think otherwise. If the island was only moving in time, and not physically moving, why would they need a room to constantly track it? Why would Eloise use "The island is always moving" as a prelude to her announcement that there was a flight going through the portal if she was talking about the island's time and not its location? I don't know, you could be right.

Eloise said the key to finding The Island is by not finding out where it is, but where it's going to be. That the only way to go back was for them to approach it while a portal has been opened to return, but only remains open for a short period of time. Judging from how they were affected by it, it looked like the portal took them to the Island's "current" place in time-space.

My guess is that it actually does change location along with time. Otherwise, why would the donkey wheel cause The Island to disappear if it wasn't shifting to a different physical space? If The Island has been in the same spot since 1954, it should have still been visible, leaving only the inhabitants moving through time. Yet the entire mass left along with them.

My theory is that The Island jumps to different places AND different time-periods during a warp, and The Island has been revisiting places when the donkey-wheel got f**ked-up by Ben. Ben literally re-wrote the course of time by having the Island move itself back to where and when it once was in 1954, 1988, and so on. Now that Locke has supposedly fixed the thing, we might see The Island eventually find itself back to where it left off before Ben intervened.

Recall that Eloise said a bunch of intellectuals who eventually discovered the Island also found several electromagnetic pockets all over the world all connecting to one pocket. That one pocket is, of course, The Island. Could it be possible that this "hub" pocket changes its physical location at fixed intervals, opening with each movement one of the "entry pockets" from all around the world (which is how Ajira 316 entered The Island)?
Remember, these same dudes said they couldn't find The Island by where it was, but by where it is going to be. If they "found" this pocket of energy that is The Island, it should've been in the same spot if The Island hasn't been moving around physically.

Maybe the Island can only be accessed at certain times? This does seem to conflict with the fact that the freighter was able to stay near the Island, and in contact, for over a week.

The "portal method" isn't the only way The Island can be reached, but rather the most reliable one since the entry portals don't seem to move (at least I assume they don't since Eloise was able to readily find it) and, once opened, take you straight to The Island's where/whenabouts. Things like bearings and such also allow entry, but require that one knows where The Island is. Seeing as Charles found the Island's physical location at this point, I think this bearing method (and/or some other means) was enough to allow the freighter to get away with remaining in contact with The Island for so long.

Last edited:
Well, the episode tonight was... interesting. Not my favorite of the season, but important regardless. I'm still a little wierded out by Sawyer and Juliet being together. It just doesn't seem... right.

I would've been wierded out before this episode, but it's perfectly legitimate considering it was over 3 years of being just them together and the more controlled character that Sawyer has gradually become.

What wierded me out was that I thought the hopless romantics who like to post their favorite pairings were incredibly off the wall when they actually thought Sawyer and Juliet should hook up. I never would have guessed that two seasons later I would have to eat my own words on that subject. LOST is doing real well in handling the constant romantic tension in the show.

Anyway, the episode was kickass to me, man. I'm loving how Season 5 is not only answering and giving more insight to a bunch of burning questions, but how it does so at a perfectly well-executed pace. It never feels rushed or unnatural just because there might be pressure of only one season left. I am also loving how the characters seem to be showing purpose now. For the longest time I was waiting for the point of having three seasons of extreme character development to actually show purpose to the larger spectrum of the show, and now we are finally seeing some of it (Juliet's maternity skills paying off, Sawyer's "growing up" having its purpose so he can lead, etc.). Before Season 5, LOST has had this undercurrent of feeling disjointed between the pure character analysis of Seasons 1 through most of 3 and how that level of focus on it seemed to have little to do with the sudden turning point to the show's heightened focus on The Island as Season 3 was wrapping up and in Season 4. I hope the writers keep it up in this regard.

Last edited:
Yea this was, out of the blue, my favorite episode of the season. The whole environment they had adapted to, and the development of the characters coming to fruition, as Bio referenced, was wonderful to watch. Also, Daniel seeing Charlotte as a kid displayed such irony, and reminded me this is when he tells her not to come back to the island or she'd die. That should be coming soon. I wonder how Kate and Jack will react to Sawyer and Juliet being together. I actually have come to like the new setting, time period and content wise. These new revelations made me cringe at seeing next week will be a repeat >.<

Yeah, dude, I can't stop talking about this amazing episode. Yeah, the wait sucks, but they couldn't have picked a better episode to kick off the two-week break. The cool part is that it's gotta be the most unusual LOST episode ever, but still just as good as the other heavyweights. There were ZERO flashbacks (traditionally speaking), no off-Island scenes, we were seeing for the first time a complete leader out of Sawyer, and a completely new and self-contained setting (the atmosphere in this episode felt like watching people interact in a rural neighborhood).

It's only typical fashion is that it sets up sooo many inevitable moments to keep you coming back. I can't wait to see Jack and Sawyer clash again (that look Jack made to Sawyer was priceless), can't wait to see how they get out of 1974, how Sun gets to reunite with a fluent and non-isolationist Jin, what the name of Amy's kid will be, and what REALLY becomes the cause for The Purge.

Even with Time Travel, Season 5 looks to be raping Season 4 hard. And I didn't even think that would be possible.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself. This gives us a whole new perspective on both Dharma and the Hostiles. I do wonder, however, is what caused the group to stay, especially Juliet, on the island. Could she really have stayed for Sawyer? The fact that they could make such an enthralling episode with so little "action" proves what a deep show it is.

I have to agree with BRizer, that was my favourite episode of the season so far. After seven episodes of crazy time travel/destiny stuff going at a hectic pace, it's nice to see a slower character episode.

P.S. @ Bio: If about three years passed on the Island, Jack and co. arrived in 1977/1978, not 1974.

Hmm...
What I'm wondering is, if the other losties had to come back to the Island to do something, will they be able to do it in the time of the Dharma Initiative or will they have to dislodge the Island again before they can?

Yeah, I meant 1977/78. I remembered Sawyer saying 1974, but I forgot that was in a "Three Years Earlier" scene.

Wow, I'm surprised by the popularity of this episode.

I liked it, but not as much as I was expecting. This whole season has improved progressively from week to week and I personally thought that trend ended yesterday.
My biggest problem is with Sawyer. I can't stand what they're doing to his character. Sawyer's character in the first few seasons was dynamic, surprising, and always kept you on the edge of your seat. Over the past few seasons he's been getting watered down, and, in my opinion, we saw the complete destruction of him last week. Does anyone agree with me that "I don't care about anyone but myself" Sawyer is so much better than this cliched sentimental Sawyer we're seeing? Not only that, but Sawyer isn't supposed to be a leader! Sawyer is supposed to be the guy that questions the leader, antagonizes the leader, and instills a sense of doubt in the rest of the group about what the leader is telling them. You can see the writers trying to shift Miles into Sawyer's old position, questioning Sawyer's commands and whatnot, but aside from the occasionally funny sarcastic comments he doesn't fill that void at all.

Next, Daniel. What a pitiful soul. They built him up so high this season and it seems like we're getting the impression that they're done with him now that Charlotte is dead and the time shifts have stopped. What did he have, like five lines? Daniel was becoming a huge character and could have easily been one of the biggest characters in season five—and could have much better filled the leader role than Sawyer does. The scene with Charlotte was painfully obvious.

I also didn't like that the characters we were introduced to didn't immediatly fit into the puzzle anywhere—atleast I didn't recognize them fitting anywhere. My dad mentioned that the guy looked similar to the insane guy on the freighter that Desmond spoke to, and he does, but I don't know if it's the same person. Did I miss something that related the Dharma leader or the woman that gave birth to what we already know?

I don't know. I'm going to watch it again and see if I get anything more out of it. I just decided to play Devil's Advocate because everyone adored this episode so much and my favorite part was the fact that everyone was finally together for next week's episode.

Wow, I'm surprised by the popularity of this episode.

I liked it, but not as much as I was expecting. This whole season has improved progressively from week to week and I personally thought that trend ended yesterday.
My biggest problem is with Sawyer. I can't stand what they're doing to his character. Sawyer's character in the first few seasons was dynamic, surprising, and always kept you on the edge of your seat. Over the past few seasons he's been getting watered down, and, in my opinion, we saw the complete destruction of him last week. Does anyone agree with me that "I don't care about anyone but myself" Sawyer is so much better than this cliched sentimental Sawyer we're seeing? Not only that, but Sawyer isn't supposed to be a leader! Sawyer is supposed to be the guy that questions the leader, antagonizes the leader, and instills a sense of doubt in the rest of the group about what the leader is telling them. You can see the writers trying to shift Miles into Sawyer's old position, questioning Sawyer's commands and whatnot, but aside from the occasionally funny sarcastic comments he doesn't fill that void at all.

His character has grown, become something that, if you watch all of the episodes, he has slowly but surely grown into. I thought his becoming a newer Sawyer fit perfectly with his character progression. Also, Miles is more of a bit role than Sawyer's replacement. I think your over-stating that one. Back to Sawyer, he, as well as every other character, has grown into new roles. Jack no longer resembles the leader he used to, and is now seen as more fragile and desperate, and so on with all of the characters.

Next, Daniel. What a pitiful soul. They built him up so high this season and it seems like we're getting the impression that they're done with him now that Charlotte is dead and the time shifts have stopped. What did he have, like five lines? Daniel was becoming a huge character and could have easily been one of the biggest characters in season five—and could have much better filled the leader role than Sawyer does. The scene with Charlotte was painfully obvious.

He was featured very little in ONE episode and suddenly your singing of his finishing with the show? Jumping to conclusions much? I think we need to give it a bit more time before we decide hes done, I think the episode was focusing more on Sawyer and Juliet than Daniel, and I think his lines will increase to their usual by the next episode.

I also didn't like that the characters we were introduced to didn't immediatly fit into the puzzle anywhere—atleast I didn't recognize them fitting anywhere. My dad mentioned that the guy looked similar to the insane guy on the freighter that Desmond spoke to, and he does, but I don't know if it's the same person. Did I miss something that related the Dharma leader or the woman that gave birth to what we already know?

I think LOST is a good enough show that we don't have to rely on stretched continuity in all aspects. I think it was BETTER that we didn't know these people, to show that LOST can be legitimately good without having to rely on the same personalities to fuel the entire show. I think that new characters are bound to come up, and at least they are having them appear in a venue that seems logical for them to do so, and it doesn't give off the vibe of a stretch-attempt at new characters (freighters *COUGH*)

Fair enough, right?

His character has grown, become something that, if you watch all of the episodes, he has slowly but surely grown into. I thought his becoming a newer Sawyer fit perfectly with his character progression. Also, Miles is more of a bit role than Sawyer's replacement. I think your over-stating that one. Back to Sawyer, he, as well as every other character, has grown into new roles. Jack no longer resembles the leader he used to, and is now seen as more fragile and desperate, and so on with all of the characters.
I undestand the concept of a dynamic character that changes somehow within the plot, I just think that Sawyer changed for the worse. I consider Locke to be a tremendous character—An average guy that was good at hunting, to a button-pushing monkey in season two, and then they still brought him back to life as perhaps the biggest character on the show now. Sawyer's best moments, in my opinion, are far behind him. For almost everyone else you could make an argument that their changes have been for the better or atleast kept them at the same level that they were, however, this new Sawyer is just bland and unoriginal.

He was featured very little in ONE episode and suddenly your singing of his finishing with the show? Jumping to conclusions much? I think we need to give it a bit more time before we decide hes done, I think the episode was focusing more on Sawyer and Juliet than Daniel, and I think his lines will increase to their usual by the next episode.
Not just that, but his demeanor. He was sulking the entire episode. I genuinely hope you're right, but Sawyer has already taken the dominant position, so he can't become anything more than Sawyer's consultant when he needs scientific information.

Next, Daniel. What a pitiful soul. They built him up so high this season and it seems like we're getting the impression that they're done with him now that Charlotte is dead and the time shifts have stopped.

Don't count him out yet. We already saw him investigating the construction of the Orchid near the time wheel. I think he is key in getting them back to the right time.

Are you referring to the Dharma leader guy Horace? We saw him before in the flashback where young Ben and his dad arrived at Dharma.

dont worry about daniel, i think he may be instrumental in getting the Oceanics back to their regular timeline.

i think it was a great episode. my only criticism would be sawyers gay hair in the "3 years later" scenes.

ill put money on the next episode revolving around sun and sayeed. they are the only ones that are yet to be found in the second crash. i think i may even shed a tear when jin and sun meet up again. im such a wuss :D

will be interesting to see how the sawyer, juliette, kate love triangle plays out.

i also think we will see the return of hurleys lotto numbers.

Back