Mario Tennis Wii?

KrisKhaos said:
There is a lot of complaint about the inability to move in Wii Sports tennis however I find there movement just fine. As long as you don't swing pre-maturely you can hit about 95% of anything sent towards you, so if they do make a Mario tennis the ability to manipulate there movement would be nice, and personally I would preference them not to force it.

As far as using the nun-chuck for movement, that would be insane. Think about that cord for a second with adult arm length, and what you would have is a disaster, especially if it's anything like Wii Sports tennis. I know some of you like to flick it however you have much more control over where that ball goes and does (such as applying spin) when you use much more solid movement, and the thought have having a cord attached to it would mean that something is going to give and something is going to either go airborne or break.

The best method would to simply use the directional pad to manipulate/force movement, and save the A or trigger button for a power stride. This stride then would allow you to dive or jump towards the ball with grater force and then your character is reduced to half movement for 2 seconds after, something like that would work nicely. Even applying a stamina tracking of some kind would work too, having your characters wear down after so long then "slow down" would make it interesting.

i agree with you somewhat with the spin and what not, but after playing squash in super monkey ball(where the nunchuck is used for music), i would say this would work perfectly in mario tennis, you could still apply spin....i don't see why using movement would get rid of it

mushroomedmario said:
i agree with you somewhat with the spin and what not, but after playing squash in super monkey ball(where the nunchuck is used for music), i would say this would work perfectly in mario tennis, you could still apply spin....i don't see why using movement would get rid of it
Yes, it would work great for those with short arm lengths, but once that cable exceeds the length of one's arm length is when we have disaster. :)

I'm 5'7", and it has been said that on average "the length of a man's outspread arms is equal to his height", and the nun-chuck cable is only 3.5 to 4 feet (1 ~ 1.2 m) long (wikiPedia, never measured it). The average height of a male in the US is 5' 9.2" (females 5' 3.77") for 20+ males, so do the math. :)

-EDIT-
(Corrected the first sentence, sorry.)
wario2ooo said:
hmmm...this one might have wifi too...i liked it on gc...but it got boring quick...if it was to come out...i'll think about
Yes, Wii Sports lacking Wi-Fi is one of the major drawbacks from the game personally, and somewhat has spoiled the fun of Wii Sports tennis for me. I am so tired of playing "Sara" and "Elisa", and nobody wants to challenged me locally. shesh.... :)

Last edited:
Well, there is no reason to swing your arm outstrecthed like that, it's a game, it's not real tennis, you can still hit hard and not having to stretch your arm like that, heck you can simply swing your wrist, have you played Metroid Prime 3? youd don't have to have the hand outstretched to aim good, you just sit back and shoot in a relaxed manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
{Axtlár} said:
Well, there is no reason to swing your arm outstrecthed like that, it's a game, it's not real tennis, you can still hit hard and not having to stretch your arm like that, heck you can simply swing your wrist, have you played Metroid Prime 3? youd don't have to have the hand outstretched to aim good, you just sit back and shoot in a relaxed manner.
Really? If you keep the nun-chuck in the upwards position towards the chest sure but to allow the other hand to go in to it's natural relaxed state would still be problematic.

I'm left handed, and when the nun-chuck falls in my right arm's natural state I cannot extend the Wii remote above my head with out tugging the nun-chuck cable, and I am below average height. So again if you are short enough, keep your movement to a minimum and cradle the nun-chuck with your arm bent to your chest it would work. Likewise, I highly doubt people will stay in this position.

I have a friend who is 6 foot something and already can yank the nun-chuck from his other hand if he attempts to emulate a full swing on Wii Sports boxing, so when he plays he keeps his movement short and doesn't fully extend his reach when he's over and playing. :)

This would def be great...i was addicted to Mario Tennis for the N64....i actually played it like a weeks ago....and adding online to it would just make it that better

KrisKhaos said:
Yes, it would work great for those with short arm lengths, but once that cable exceeds the length of one's arm length is when we have disaster. :)

I'm 5'7", and it has been said that on average "the length of a man's outspread arms is equal to his height", and the nun-chuck cable is only 3.5 to 4 feet (1 ~ 1.2 m) long (wikiPedia, never measured it). The average height of a male in the US is 5' 9.2" (females 5' 3.77") for 20+ males, so do the math. :)

yeah but it's not like we're going to pull a jesus and have the left arm as left as his could go and the right arm as right as it could go

and just our right arm by itself, it's not going to go as far as it could go to the right/, it never does in real tennis, your arm is always bent

secondly, you can easily adapt, move your left arm relatively with the right and you'll get used to it

mushroomedmario said:
yeah but it's not like we're going to pull a jesus and have the left arm as left as his could go and the right arm as right as it could go

and just our right arm by itself, it's not going to go as far as it could go to the right/, it never does in real tennis, your arm is always bent

secondly, you can easily adapt, move your left arm relatively with the right and you'll get used to it
Again, it would work for me as I am below average height as long as my right hand (holding the nun-chuck) remains at my chest. Anything less than that restricts movement of my left hand and unable to move freely. Again, I am below average height so for those taller than me and for those like myself who pays less attention to where my arms and hands are positioned it could be damaging.

Most people who play take on full simulated movement then reduce down to more of a flick, however this evolution takes time and personally the moment you tether the Wii Remote and expect to use the full motion capabilities by simulating something like a racket is a really bad idea.

The sword in Red Steel was still based on your center of gravity so in turn that worked just fine, however games like tennis and even bowling where the original game uses the game device (ball, racket) as an extension of one's arm the natural response is to play it like it was originally. In turn you and others may adapt just fine, however the mass majority it is going to 'cause a lot of problems.

Unfortunately the taller a person is the more trouble there could be, and the greater chance that one of the controls are to be pulled from the hand or even worse, the cord itself will be pulled from either connection. Using a nun-chuck for a game like this would be a mistake, and it would be simply better to just use the directional pad on the Wii Remote instead.

I've always been a big fan of the sports spin offs from Mario. Tennis was probably my favorite. I don't see why they wouldn't make it for the Wii, considering they've made it for N64 and Gamecube. And they are making a Mario Baseball already so there's no reason not to believe that they will be making all the Mario Sports for the Wii. They'll probably make Mario Golf too.

I didn't enjoy the Gamecube one as much as the one on N64, it was good, just not as good.

Hopefully the one that will come out on the Wii, is better.
I have a strong feeling it will be.

I believe all the old Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games were made by the company "Camelot"... Right now Camelot is working with Capcom to create the upcoming 'WII LOVE GOLF' game. (That game will be absolutely amazing by the way) So anyway in an interview (i'll have to find the link) the creators said that they are interested in making Mario Tennis for the Wii but haven't started on it yet. So don't expect to see this one for quite awhile...

When it does come though, it will rule :yesnod:

heres something a little similar...
sst_ghz03_reduced_chaos_qjgenth.jpg

http://wii.qj.net/Sega-icons-go-head-to-head-in-Sega-Superstar-Tennis/pg/49/aid/105366

Yeah, it will come out on June or July 2008 at least...I mean, don't expect a big development time for a game like that.

Really?
I would expect a decent amount of development time to go into any Wii sports games since they require fine motion controls. Also since Nintendo only publishes extremely polished games... but I guess we will see :smilewinkgrin:

Back