Maybe another Dreamcast, Some say.

Chattersby

WiiChat Member
Nov 12, 2006
I have heard reivews on different websites saying that the Wii is going to be the next dreamcast. which was pretty rubbish. Do u think that the wii will just be something that every1 wants , but then 3months later is covered in dust in the dark corner of your bedroom. or will we want to play it more and more and more????

It all depends on how developers take advantage of the technology that Nintendo brought to the table. If they release the online component like they promised, then NO... the Nintendo will definitely NOT be a failure. If they hold back and continue to promise but do not deliver, then I see a dark fate for the Wii. As of right now, I see an extremely bright future for this innovative console. And let's face it, there are enough Nintendo fans out there to keep the Wii afloat even if the skeptics turn on it. Can you say Gamecube? That would have been the next Dreamcast... but Nintendo fans are passionate and kept it just alive enough for Nintendo to attempt another console. And quite frankly, I think Nintendo struck gold this time around.

Chattersby said:
I have heard reivews on different websites saying that the Wii is going to be the next dreamcast. which was pretty rubbish. Do u think that the wii will just be something that every1 wants , but then 3months later is covered in dust in the dark corner of your bedroom. or will we want to play it more and more and more????

Although I know there are other reasons why the Wii will not be the "next dreamcast," but look at the games. People will just buy this system for zelda, mario, and SSB. And there are obviously more to come. A system with the crowd nintendo has following it cant die specifically for certain games that have so many devout followers, my mind cant even comprehend this idea of being the next dream cast.

calling the wii the next dream cast is way too far fetched...the console hasnt been released. End of the day Nintendo are Nintendo im pretty sure it will not be another dreamcast.

any chance of links to these comments/reviews?

Why would they refer to this as the next dreamcast? Just because the dreamcast was a failure? If that's the case, then the Gamecube should be more compared to the Dreamcast, and hopefully Nintendo learned from the Gamecube's shortcomings and is going to make some significant changes this time around. Otherwise, Nintendo is done for.

ABC said:
It all depends on how developers take advantage of the technology that Nintendo brought to the table. If they release the online component like they promised, then NO... the Nintendo will definitely NOT be a failure. If they hold back and continue to promise but do not deliver, then I see a dark fate for the Wii. As of right now, I see an extremely bright future for this innovative console. And let's face it, there are enough Nintendo fans out there to keep the Wii afloat even if the skeptics turn on it. Can you say Gamecube? That would have been the next Dreamcast... but Nintendo fans are passionate and kept it just alive enough for Nintendo to attempt another console. And quite frankly, I think Nintendo struck gold this time around.

dont forget about nintendos hand held market. Im prity sure that that helped in a big way to keep them alive thorough out the game cube days. but i dont think wii will be dreamcast just think about all the developers that are backing it so much. ubisoft (worlds second biggest developer) already has 7 games for launch and is working on another 7 right now. also EA (worlds biggest developer) has made madden for the wii and although i dont know of any official news of more games that they are making for it a friend of a friend of mine works at EA vancouver and he said that he is currently working on wii titels. on an off note that same guy said he has played both wii and ps3 and he says wii is WAAAAAAY beter to play and to develop on.

I have two letters to give you: DS. If Wii is to fail for being underpowered, or being risky in it's innovations, then surely DS would have bitten the dust by now. DS outsells PSP by a large amount, and I'm confident that Wii will just do the same. Especially if Miyamoto brings out Nintendogs Wii, because that would shift consoles left, right and center.

personaly i dont care as long as i get to play SMG, LoZ:TP, and SSBB lol. however i would REALLY like to see it succeed so they can keep making these games!

sgpigeon said:
Although I know there are other reasons why the Wii will not be the "next dreamcast," but look at the games. People will just buy this system for zelda, mario, and SSB. And there are obviously more to come. A system with the crowd nintendo has following it cant die specifically for certain games that have so many devout followers, my mind cant even comprehend this idea of being the next dream cast.

Not to mention the new metroid.:ihih:

People are getting it spot on, its all about the third party game releases. We all know what the wiis graphics are like. We've all seen screenshots and we have accpeted the graphic or we wouldnt be here. I personally think there is nothing wrong with the wiis graphics as i am used to playing pc fps's with minimun graphic to maximise the frames per second. the two factors that will sway the wii into sucess or failure (in my opinion) are:

- the controller. the controller is without a doubt one of the, if not the main selling point for the wii. from the sounds of reviews the wiis controller is very good, so i have no problem here.

- the games. if the launch releases are anything to go by again i have no problem here aswell. Zelda, SSBB, SM Galaxy three cracking titles which should be a sucess, i have no doubt first parties games will be sucessfull, will back full use of the controller. however like ive said the real make or break for the wii are the third party games. there is only a limit nintendo can do themselves, and yes they usually do focus on non or t rated games. so its in the third partys hands it release decent T, M games aswell as some good sports and non rated games for that matter. Again by the looks of it big developers are backing the wii, farcry, splintercell, need for speed, madden, red steel are just some of the LAUNCH third party titles which will be released, and i think they are all apart from madden at least T rated. i just hope these games turn out good and make use of the nintendos market niche, the controller! again you may moan about graphic but i think the graphic are fine. Red steel and nfs looks awsome IMO. havent seen much of splintercell. madden looks alright for a sports game and the game play looks good even though i dont have a clue what american football is like. farcry looked awsome and poor at the same time. the sky and water looked first rate however i think the character and enviromental textures need alot of work, but with this sorted it will look great.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but the simplistic approach Nintendo has taken with the Wii makes more sense to me than what Microsoft and Sony have done with their respective products. When you really think about it, anyone, and I do mean anyone, given enough time and resources can build a bigger, badder, faster console. And furthermore, just as soon as someone does it there'll be another guy to say, "Hey, I can make something better than that." And given enough time and money he'll do it. Sure there is an upside to making a console that can do more, but in doing so you're bound to leave behind some of the guys who are trying to make good games. With Nintendo's next step being, for lack of a better term, a souped-up gamecube it will make it simple for developers to make the transition. All this banter aside, I couldn't care less about graphics. I'll take gameplay any day. One of my favorites games to this day is Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and I still play it regularly. Give me a good game that is challenging enough to be fun but easy enough to keep me interested and a robust, responsive control system and I'll be happy regardless of the platform.

*EDIT*
I just thought of this after re-reading my post. By doing what Nintendo did with the Wii, they're going to make Sony and Microsoft have to play on their terms. They aren't trying to make the next biggest, baddest system. They're going to make Sony and Microsoft have to come up with better software. In essence, they're fighting the next-gen console war on a whole new battle front, making up the rules everyone else will have to follow as they go.

Last edited:
Everyone is forgetting that every Dreamcast sold brought a negative net profit towards Sega. Unlike the Dreamcast, the Wii will actually earn Nintendo some money. Also, Nintendo has heavy-hitting franchises under their own belt; Sega had some good titles, but none had the widespread fervor that Mario, Pokemon, SSB, and others created. Third-party developers are also already familiar with the programming environment, given its similarity to the Gamecube hardware, so production costs are reduced (maybe except for the motion sensing portion). And if the reports are true, most developers are eager to make games for the console; Nintendo may just have reinvigorated the gaming market.

Back