Microsoft Must be feeling threatened by the Wii

xbandaidx

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
Wisconsin
Wii Online Code
4857-5695-0490-5844
So, I have no idea how long this is going to last, so I'll take a screenshot.

Going to Gamespot.com, clicking the Wii section. You'll find something pretty interesting. Xbox360 Ads literally covering the entire side parts of the page. Now this is the ONLY section that I have found that has Xbox 360 plastered all over it.

Now, there are two points that I think of when I look at this. Microsoft must be feeling the pressure from Nintendo, so they bought space that covers a competitors section of gamespot!

My second point is, yeah thats Microsoft still using their monopolistic tricks again.

Anyways, it just shows you that at LEAST Microsoft knows that Nintendo is on the rise.

heres a screenshot in case the Ads don't last

[media]http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5174/xbox360bb3.png[/media]

You'll even notice Microsofts cleaver ploy of putting their own remote on the right side of the page as well.

For those who want a larger screenshot here is a link
http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/5628/xbox360wl0.png

Now I know this is called Advertising, but wow!

UPDATE:

RDBRaptor has pointed out to me that the PS3 page has this as well, apparently I missed it and mistaked the PS2 link at the top for PS3 when I checked to see if they had it as well.

Last edited:
lol, I saw this too. I was confused on whether I went into the Wii section or somehow got transported to the 360 section.

Also, it's on the PS3 page, yet lacking in their own. Hmmmm, silly Microsoft. :frown2:

RDBRaptor said:
lol, I saw this too. I was confused on whether I went into the Wii section or somehow got transported to the 360 section.

Also, it's on the PS3 page, yet lacking in their own. Hmmmm, silly Microsoft. :frown2:

Your right!

I mustvt clicked the PS2 link at the top, not the PS3 link. Thanks for pointing that out.

Guess now that I see that, it kinda defeats the point of this thread. :/

That is definately one of the saddest, most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

It looks to me that someone is getting a bit desperate.

Well microsoft is obvisually feeling left out I guess, because PS3 and the Wii are getting tons of publicity these days and whatnot.

Regardless if both PS3 and Wii section has the 360 ads, I still like to think of it as Microsoft being nervous about the Wii.....maybe they posted it to both (not like they cant afford it) so they don't look so suspicious and I'm right with my theory. :X

xbandaidx said:
Well microsoft is obvisually feeling left out I guess, because PS3 and the Wii are getting tons of publicity these days and whatnot.

Regardless if both PS3 and Wii section has the 360 ads, I still like to think of it as Microsoft being nervous about the Wii.....maybe they posted it to both (not like they cant afford it) so they don't look so suspicious and I'm right with my theory. :X
The only publicity the PS3 is getting is very negative. It doesn't have better hardware than the 360 even though it costs 200$ more, Zero AAA games, people who have HDTV's that can only display 1080i can only play in 480p because it doesn't have an upconverting chip and all that.

Nervous about the Wii? The console with only one good game, and that has last gen hardware. Wich means that it's only multiplats will probably be PS2 ports :crazy:

BTW: i don't think MS can choose where their adds go. They probably got the first spots that became available. /thread

I've seen that ad below the navagtion bar like on every gaming website i go to, its pissing me off.

Gamespot is also really biased against Nintendo products, especially the Wii. Their grading of its games is totally unfair, so this doesnt shock me at all that they would allow Microsoft ads to run on the two pages. It is a little ridiculous, but does anyone actually go to Gamespot for reliable or un-biased anything anyway?

Silly silly Microsoft.:nono:

hey cant blame microsoft,blame gamespot:mad5: the...the bastards

wayne said:
The only publicity the PS3 is getting is very negative. It doesn't have better hardware than the 360 even though it costs 200$ more, Zero AAA games, people who have HDTV's that can only display 1080i can only play in 480p because it doesn't have an upconverting chip and all that.

Nervous about the Wii? The console with only one good game, and that has last gen hardware. Wich means that it's only multiplats will probably be PS2 ports :crazy:

BTW: i don't think MS can choose where their adds go. They probably got the first spots that became available. /thread

Uh the first spots that became available? No.

There are only two sections on the website, PS3 and Wii section that Microsoft has literally almost full page ads on, I don't think it 'became' available, Microsoft has deep pockets they asked for them SPECIFICALLY, and yes advertisers can ask for certain pages and stuff. Its the same example on how Google's Adwords work, the advertiser can choose when the ads will appear by certain keywords in searches.

are you guys stupid or something? of course they would advertise the 360 on the nintendo and sony pages, people who are on the 360 page likely already have one. people on the sony/nintendo pages are people who like video games, but might not have a 360, and those people are obviously the target market when you're trying to, you know, sell video games.

jus. said:
are you guys stupid or something? of course they would advertise the 360 on the nintendo and sony pages, people who are on the 360 page likely already have one. people on the sony/nintendo pages are people who like video games, but might not have a 360, and those people are obviously the target market when you're trying to, you know, sell video games.

exactly.

If you believe that ads are just randomly put up on a page your wrong. Thats like billboards, the advertisers choose the billboard they want to display their ads on once it becomes available, they aren't forced to have their ads on the first billboard that becomes available.

Considering the 360 sold 7 million units without hitting the japanese market barely at all, and the system being out for a year, I doubt they are threatened.

The 360 has been whoring itself out marketing wise for the past year. I mean on every Real World/ Road Rules challenge they give the winner of the duel an xbox360.

p.s. Microsoft has more money than god.

vagrant said:
Considering the 360 sold 7 million units without hitting the japanese market barely at all, and the system being out for a year, I doubt they are threatened.

The 360 has been whoring itself out marketing wise for the past year. I mean on every Real World/ Road Rules challenge they give the winner of the duel an xbox360.

p.s. Microsoft has more money than god.

Everything you said is true, except I don't know about the whole Real world stuff because I don't watch MTV.
Anyways, Microsoft has been going down a bit lately, now granted its not anything significant but things such as their browser market share has been going down, as well as a few of their other services too.

You are probably right they probably don't feel to threatened by it considering they had a whole year head start.

Yes Microsoft does have more money than God but not Google (I think they have more now?). haha.

xbandaidx said:
Everything you said is true, except I don't know about the whole Real world stuff because I don't watch MTV.
Anyways, Microsoft has been going down a bit lately, now granted its not anything significant but things such as their browser market share has been going down, as well as a few of their other services too.

You are probably right they probably don't feel to threatened by it considering they had a whole year head start.

Yes Microsoft does have more money than God but not Google (I think they have more now?). haha.

No, google was just bought out in 2006.

And microsoft could probably buy google 10 times over.

And when Vista is released they will buy our souls.

Back