N64 Cartridges

The Man on Ice
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
How does one go about restoring N64 game console cartridges? I just unearthed my N64 and a lot of the games are damaged including the Pokemon Snap I just bought today. My games either don't start up or freeze very close to the start of any game - it's disheartening because I took excellent care of my equipment and games.

If it can be done would someone care to post a link that I haven't stumbled upon or write a message? Thanks.

261311 said:
How does one go about restoring N64 game console cartridges? I just unearthed my N64 and a lot of the games are damaged including the Pokemon Snap I just bought today. My games either don't start up or freeze very close to the start of any game - it's disheartening because I took excellent care of my equipment and games.

If it can be done would someone care to post a link that I haven't stumbled upon or write a message? Thanks.
Use a cotton bud soaked in nail-varnish remover to clean the contacts on the bottom of the cartridge. This dissolves minor rust and helps to keep them clean.

most cleaners will work well aslong as they evap completely... nail polish removers works great, also try some alcohol... I doubt its the games themself.. i quick cleaning and they are always fine...

if anything concentrate on the pin connections in the console... you can get replacement ones off ebay if they get too bad... but dont shove any cotton swabs or anything like that on the pins... electricall cleaner and some compressed air "duster" will usually fix any problem

or a whole new refurb console most sell for like 25 bucks for a console plus controller on ebay...

It's not the console that's messed, it's the games. I can't buy off eBay either because my family members nor I like to buy off the internet.

only specific games are giving you an issue then? alot of cartriges have an internal battery as well, might want to look there if cleaning doesnt work...

Indeed, I haven't tried cleaning yet, that'll have to happen during next week. It's not the batteries because they still start, they just freeze and restart about 10 seconds in.

ya dont worry too much about it... i have never had a cartridge game go bad... it would take alot of corrosion or a magnetic swipe to really kill one... aslong as you didnt store them in a full aquarium atop a huge magnet it will come back to life... ive yet to have one die some are just more stubborn than most...

Back