Nintendo blocked GoldenEye XBLA, says Microsoft

CyanRussel

2062-8990-6509 GET READY!
Mar 19, 2007
In my SSBB kingdom waiting for a challenge
Wii Online Code
3760-9059-7725-6846
Despite an agreement that would allow dual releases of the game and other Rare titles on Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade, Microsoft says Nintendo won't allow the port of GoldenEye on a competitor's system.
According to Kotaku, Microsoft officials allege that Nintendo president Satoru Iwata blocked the release of a GoldenEye port on Xbox Live Arcade because the game originated on Nintendo hardware.

Microsoft claims Nintendo was unwilling to reach an agreement, this despite a favorable compromise for both companies that included a profit sharing deal. Nintendo owned a minority stake in Rare before Microsoft purchased the developer in 2002.

Unconfirmed rumors of a GoldenEye XBLA port surfaced last week, in which multiple sources reported that the game was already in development and less than two months from release before Nintendo purportedly canned the deal.

Nintendo was not immediately available for comment.

I can agree with where Nintendo is coming from...GoldenEye came out on Ninty first...so they should have on their VC as an exclusive...and not on LIVE....

What do you guys think?

Though, I can see where Nintendo is coming from, I think it's kind of greedy to not allow it to be simultaneously released on XBLA. I don't see what the problem is, especially considering that profits would be shared. Now nobody gets to enjoy the game.:tard:

Last edited:
Wow really? honestly i don't understand Nintendo's logic behind this decision other then it being greed related. People that already own a wii are going to download Goldeneye to the wii, giving you more money. People that already own an xbox are already lost as a costumer so it doesnt matter if microsoft gets the money from them, they already are, it wont affect nintendo at all. This is a simple case of win win, and nintendo is choosing to lose...

This goes back to the original deal Microsoft made with Nintendo. They said Nintendo can port Rare games on VC if they can also port them to XBL. Microsoft made a similar deal with Castlevania SOTN for the XBL, a PS1 game. By blocking this we all lose. Thank means NO ONE gets Golden Eye. WTF Nintendo?!

Dont blame nintendo there just a company trying to make money, why would they allow microsoft a share of the pie, increasing microsofts profits.

There just staying ahead of the competition, i cant blame em,

sagema said:
By blocking this we all lose. Thank means NO ONE gets Golden Eye. WTF Nintendo?!

Bingo. I have no friggin clue what the first posters in this thread are thinking. Apparently none of them want to actually download and play Goldeneye on their Wii.

It's probably just as well. The XBLA version was going to have online functionality. The VC/WiiWare version would likely be inferior or FC infested.

Dayoh said:
Dont blame nintendo there just a company trying to make money

What money are they making?

Wiinter said:
What money are they making?

I guess it seems to be their new marketing model: avoid direct competition with rivals at all costs. This is easily noted by the different nature of the games and hardware on both their portables and their home console platforms.

Maybe they're just afraid that Goldeneye would just finally be one more thing Nintendo's critics would be able to use to slam Nintendo into an issue they don't want to deal with. XBLA will release a version of Goldeneye with online play, and suddenly people will turn to Nintendo and ask "why doesn't your [possibly later-released] version have such a feature?" Or "It's bad enough so few of your games currently have online play, but being not able to support such a feature on a game for an outdated platform is just incompetence." Such issues seem to be heated enough already, but when a competitor goes ahead and outdo you on a game that was originally made exclusive for your products....

I guess it all comes down to bad publicity. It would simply go down as another reason for people not to take Nintendo seriously as a gaming platform, but rather a toy without some features their rivals can easily manage.

In the end it's not about making money, but potentially saving face from a bad image that would slow down their prowess and possibly lose money.

You want Goldeneye, though, find a proper way to complain/rant so that Nintendo will get the message. Blog about it, encourage others to write about it. Hopefully rather than be fearful of bad publicity, they'll...I don't know...actually work on improving previous works and spur an increase on product quality.

Last edited:
i can agree with both sides of the argument. but there comes a time when you have to just stop trying to win and say..."you know what, who cares" and give the third individual (the gamers in this case) what they want.

i can see how microsoft would want to be able to release a highly popular and nostalgic Rare game. And I could see how Nintendo would want to be able to release a highly popular and nostalgic N64 game. Both sides have valid argument for exclusivity, but neither can really claim it without seeming like an A-hole. In this case I think it really should be both get it or none get it. It really wasn't THAT great of a game to me anyway, yeah it was awesomeness incarnate at the time, but since then so many superior console FPS have come out and like I said it's really more of nostalgia at this point.

So, who really owns the rights to GE? Nin, Rare or MS? Just because MS bought Rare doesn't mean they own the rights to all the games Rare own.

What's sad is that Nin has a Microsoft Game (Viva Piñata) on the DS. They get a share of the profit from that. Sounds stingy on Nin's part that they aren't willing to do the same for an OOOOLLLLLDDDDD game.

Oh, about it not being on either system doesn't help Nin at all. If anything it hurts them. I know quite a few people who own a Wii and not a 360 who would have bought GE for the Wii if offered. Heck, I might have if I hadn't borrowed the disk from a friend and realized how crappy (IMHO) a game it is. He was going to give it to me and I told him, "Nah, you can have it back".

Back