Nintendo blocked GoldenEye XBLA, says Microsoft

It could be that the XBOX version has been updated to support online play just like the other classics on xbox live.

well i dont blame Nintendo on having Goldeneye on XBL because it was a 64 game but now that we cant have it on VC just plain sux and makes me think that for us nintendo should of sucked it up and sold the rights to XBL so we all can have it.

They dont have the rights though. They never did. Rare had the rights, they sold it to EA and then they sold it to Activision. But Activion stated they did not want to ruin their relationship with either company so they put it on them to make a compromise, since Nintendo could not compromise, no one gets it. Basically Activision wanted to be fair even though they didnt have to.

I didn't know that no one would get the game...

Politics is never clean and anyone rarely wins, even in the Gaming world.

sagema said:
This is the same reason Square left Nintendo back in the day. Nintendo can be very stubborn. They have used this attitude to drown out their competition in the past. Neo Geo, Jaguar, 3DO, TG-16 were all powerful consoles that had very few good games on them.

Why? 360 sales are at a close second with the Wii. About 18 360, 20 Wii million units. Castlevania SOTN is one of XBL's best selling games, Golden Eye would probably pull in even more money. For now... No one gets Golden Eye. 2008 will probably be Goldenless.

Why they are coming back to Ninty I'll never know.

If Microsoft offered Rare's entire N64 back catalogue to Nintendo in return for an updated Goldeneye on Live then maybe they would have to agree. The sales of those games on VC would be huge and offset the loss of Goldeneye not being VC exclusive.

I'd love to be able to play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo on VC but it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon, if ever.

Rare did offer their entire library of games. The deal was colaunching of games to VC/XBL, or none at all. I think Iwata is holding a grudge. Remember Microsoft bought Rare and that must have pissed off Nintendo.

-Insert image of Iwata drunk with power, laughing at Microsoft here-

Why couldn't Nintendo just be happy and take a cut of the profits from Goldeneye on XBLA? Now nobody gets to play the damn game. Nintendo are indeed a very stubborn company.

sagema said:
Rare did offer their entire library of games. The deal was colaunching of games to VC/XBL, or none at all. I think Iwata is holding a grudge. Remember Microsoft bought Rare and that must have pissed off Nintendo.

-Insert image of Iwata drunk with power, laughing at Microsoft here-
I doubt that Nintendo was too bothered or they wouldnt have sold their 49% to Microsoft as well and looking at the games that Rare has released since it was a good move. They basically just sold the name as most of the real talent had left already Rare.

Microsoft should allow Rare games on VC because they would still make money on them but Microsoft doesnt need the money so they wont.

T3kNi9e said:
Maybe Microsoft will do an updated version of Perfect Dark instead since Goldeneye isnt happening.
They already have Perfect Dark Zero so 360 owners who never played the N64 game might not be so eager to buy a game that could be perceived by them as being an older version of what they already got, although in reality Perfect Dark Zero wasnt a patch on Perfect Dark 64.

raisinghelen said:
Microsoft should allow Rare games on VC because they would still make money on them but Microsoft doesnt need the money so they wont.

Microsoft wants to--they've already updated the game for XBLA, but they can't release it without Nintendo coming to the table. Nintendo has refused their offer.

Wiinter said:
Microsoft wants to--they've already updated the game for XBLA, but they can't release it without Nintendo coming to the table. Nintendo has refused their offer.
What i meant was that Microsoft could allow Rare games to be on Wii VC only and Microsoft would still earn money from them.

Microsoft are not bothered about money though, they just want the games to help sell more 360s and Nintendo just want the games to be VC exclusive so that they wouldnt help sell more 360s.

Back