please help asap, buying a wii in honk kong

slednecks

WiiChat Member
Oct 19, 2007
If I buy a wii in Hong Kong and bring it back to Canada, will I be able to buy games for it in Canada/US? Will I have any problems going online to download content? If any what problems would I run into?

I think you mean Hong Kong and no games from Canada or the US wont work for it, sorry. I suggest on just waiting a bit longer to purchase a console in either Canada or the US.

slednecks said:
If I buy a wii in Hong Kong and bring it back to Canada, will I be able to buy games for it in Canada/US? Will I have any problems going online to download content? If any what problems would I run into?
First of all the Wii consoles are region encoded, so that means that if you buy one in Hong Kong then you will be locked to that region and games in the US/Canada will not play without a mod-chip. (Mod-chips in Wii's can be easily bricked, or rendered in-operable, and advised not to use one with a mod-chip installed.)

Downloads would consist of whatever is available for that region, which is also regionally encoded. In addition, such things as the News channel and Forecast channel may also be locked to it's region, as you might encounter the inability to assign the proper city since the Chinese Wii will not allow U.S./Canada selection. (There is a Wii for that region.)

I simply suggest going home and picking one up, it will save you a lot of headache, and you won't have to continue to import all your games. I have heard that Wii Remotes and attachments are not regionally protected and however work fine, so at the least if you can get them cheaper in Hong Kong then it may not be a bad idea to get what you need there. (Note: I've never tested or seen this personally, and it remains unconfirmed. I have however read reports that they do in fact work on any Wii system.)

My advice, pick up some cheap wiimotes from Hong Kong, but buy the Wii when you get home.

Back